Joe's next contract

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

No kidding...ratings/audience grab IMHO. 

It is particularly offensive to me that Joe's name is even mentioned in the same breath as Lamar.  Those two could not be any more different in terms of their focus, their outlook on life and football, their overall attitude, their feelings about team, etc, etc, etc.  I also wouldn't put Joe in the same sentence with Lamar and the others in terms of talent and overall upside.

• Upvote 3

On 3/28/2023 at 10:26 PM, BENgal Solo said:

Thanks for posting this.  This was the only thing that had me worried about Joe's eventual pay day.  Considering Cincy is pretty good at drafting and the salary cap always goes up, they can still build a competitive team around him!

If that is your picture in the avatar, I would like to introduce you to our good friend, Saphead.

Maybe you could meet for coffee or do lunch or something.

• Upvote 2

I think the Bengals should shoot for a longer deal that will be cheap before it's over (as KC did with Mahomes) ... Like say give Burrow an 8 year, 440 million deal (55 per) with 240 guaranteed (most ever over Deshaun's 230, and broken down to 30 per year, pro-rated over the 8 years).

That rate will be a bargain by year 4 and give the team the stability of always knowing Joe's number. Plus it will carry him to age 35, so through the prime of his career and a few Lombardis. 

• Like 2

If the team is giving Burrow a new deal now, it better be a long term one. Burrow is 5 or 6 years away from the open market so signing a 4 or 5 year deal now doesn't do much for the team. It saves them from using tags but that's about it. He's under contract for 2023 on his current rookie deal. The team will certainly exercise their 5th year option for 2024. Tags 1 and 2 cover 2025 and 2026. He'd likely get tag 3 for 2027. That would be his first year with an above-market salary as it comes with a 44% raise over his prior year pay. 

So, if the team wants to reward him for his excellent play earlier than necessary, they should be getting a long term commitment from him with a team-friendly structure that allows them to keep his supporting cast. Bengals aren't known as innovators but maybe a contract that simply pays a % of the cap would work for both sides? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

He has a vested interest in the Bengals not winning. He would never say the Chiefs should guarantee Mahomes 

Jaime the best move in the entire NFL FA period up to now is the Blackburn women taking away Mahomes blindside bodyguard and bringing him in to be JBs for years to come..

Addition by subtraction in the highest form against your chief  rival..

Grade..A++...

Brilliant!....

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

4yrs???

A 4 year deal isn't worth it ... might as well tag him 3 times if going to do that, and would be cheaper.

Shiesty is the Bengals QB for the next decade, and the Brown family knows it. No reason to beat around the bush and do this again in a few years. Lock him up for a 'career contract' (8+ years or so). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

...until next year

To sign JB for 8 yrs at 400mil 50 per

with a 175 mll guarantee will look alot less in the next 4yrs or so..

Pay him 40 per for 4 yrs then escalate it to 60 for the last 4 ..

Frees up money for Chase and Higgins or whoever they deem invaluable to sign multi yr contracts..

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Maybe Joe doesn't want a 6 year extension

A contract is a give and take from what the player and team wants. Joe has more clout than maybe any NFL player in history when it comes to his contract. But still, the team needs him to throw them a bone on the length, so that they can plan for the other pieces around him. A longer deal also allows for the signing bonus to be spread out (on paper) over the entire length.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

A contract is a give and take from what the player and team wants. Joe has more clout than maybe any NFL player in history when it comes to his contract. But still, the team needs him to throw them a bone on the length, so that they can plan for the other pieces around him. A longer deal also allows for the signing bonus to be spread out (on paper) over the entire length.

I understand that but Joe isn't obligated to sign anything, if he's smart he wouldn't lock himself into a long-term deal as Mahommes did.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I understand that but Joe isn't obligated to sign anything, if he's smart he wouldn't lock himself into a long-term deal as Mahommes did.

What makes you think Burrow wants out of Cincinnati or wants to maintain an option to leave Cincinnati? He has as much leverage here as Mahomes has in KC. He's a local hero, playing as close to home as possible, and will soon be among the highest paid players in the league. What a terrible fate 😜