I really dont think Lou is a great candidate for HC openings right now.

seems odd how much the media and podcosts surrounding the bengals are pounding the point to death.

dont get me wrong, loud is a tremendously incredibly smart coach. but his talent seems pretty specific. preparing for teams like no one as far as defensive schemes go. and making the best out of 2nd tier talent at most positions on defense.

how dos that translate to HC? you literally lose the skill he is best at he sure isnt gonna be doing defensive gameplans.

all teams are dying for the next offensive guru, bright young mind, to bring a QB along and score points.

and with many of the recent defensive head coaches failing(not all) and getting fired recently, it seems risky to bring on a never HC, DC into run your team. it doesnt seem like thats where the league is right now.

I can see why lou would be down, $$$$$$$$, man Callahan makes like 650k, got the colts interview, last colts HC was making 9mil a year.  id go get fired in 1-2 years for 9-18 mil in my pocket.

lots of OC based HC call plays and are big into the offense. same cant be said for DC to HC guys.

am i thinking about this from an odd angle? league just seems so offense based.

I've thought for a long time that the league "prefers" offensive coaches to be head coaches, simply because they're going to choose the "more offense" strategy most of the time (i.e. the more $$$ strategy).  I've also thought some defensive coaches (**cough**Marvin**cough**) would "require" their offense to be a certain way not just because they "realize this is what annoyed me the most as a DC", but maybe even because they have an internal/subconscious hate for a perhaps more successful style. 

My example is in the 2005/2006/2007 era when the Bengals always seemed to play their best running the no-huddle, but Marvin would ANGRILY denounce it when reporters would ask him why they stopped doing it when it was working so well.

6 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

am i thinking about this from an odd angle? league just seems so offense based.

You're not. The Boy Wonder with the next best all-the-time-passing-fool-you-on-every-play-sure-fire-winner is what all of the downtroddens want. It looks good on paper. 

Was just reading an article which goes to your point: the trend for DC/HC has been steadily dropping for a number of years.    

30 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I've thought for a long time that the league "prefers" offensive coaches to be head coaches, simply because they're going to choose the "more offense" strategy most of the time (i.e. the more $$$ strategy).  I've also thought some defensive coaches (**cough**Marvin**cough**) would "require" their offense to be a certain way not just because they "realize this is what annoyed me the most as a DC", but maybe even because they have an internal/subconscious hate for a perhaps more successful style. 

My example is in the 2005/2006/2007 era when the Bengals always seemed to play their best running the no-huddle, but Marvin would ANGRILY denounce it when reporters would ask him why they stopped doing it when it was working so well.

yea the examples seem to go back 15-20 years, the more i think about it callahan might be one of the better options now or in the near future, with zac being a part of the offense he gets to see the team management, player management, etc, of the HC a bit more than  a normal OC, but i could be overthinking it. and of course the biggest issue is teams never give a HC a chance to rework the team to their style of play and give it a try, shoutout to the bengals for giving zac time to build, time to shed the old shadow players and withered legends on the roster, took balls to ditch dunlap and atkins and so on.. coaches never get that time to do that and build their team.

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You're not. The Boy Wonder with the next best all-the-time-passing-fool-you-on-every-play-sure-fire-winner is what all of the downtroddens want. It looks good on paper. 

Was just reading an article which goes to your point: the trend for DC/HC has been steadily dropping for a number of years.    

mcdaniels is a great example, fuckboi wonder, props to hm it took like 8-9 weeks for a team to figure out that the office consisted of nothing but timed spot throws for tua and long "wr go get it" balls he was always short on.  defenses started dropping th eLB on pass down, fucking up his zones and timing, they crumbled. will be interesting to see how they rebound. seems their offense requires a huge pile of insanely expensive and talented guys to succeed at all. 

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

"Scoring points is just something the media talks about"  -Marvin, probably

Lou "The Alchemist" Anarumo has come a long way. If he keeps it up he will get some interviews sooner than later but teams are going with the young OC route over the grizzled DC when it comes to first time HC hires. 

Vic Fangio vs Zac Taylor is a good example. They were both hired in 2019, neither had any HC experience but Fangio,  like Anarumo, was a long time defensive coach while ZT was a young offensive mind. One guy is still coaching on the way to his second consecutive Superbowl and the other guy has been fired and looking for another DC position. 

Teams want and need a HC that has proven he can develop a young QB, most DC's don't have that on their resume. 

59 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Thinking of Lou head coaching some dumpster fire team somehow makes me think of Mike Zimmer.

Went from the Cincinnati DC penthouse to... who knows where he is now?

Still like the guy.

Zimmer was last seen in Jackson, Mississippi helping his guy Deion Sanders at JSU. I believe he will be on the Colorado coaching staff. 

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Zimmer was last seen in Jackson, Mississippi helping his guy Deion Sanders at JSU. I believe he will be on the Colorado coaching staff. 

Sanders says Zimmer is coming.  Zimmer is 66.  Seems that NFL teams are looking for younger guys these days.  If the Vikings had a good QB he would probably still be there.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Thinking of Lou head coaching some dumpster fire team somehow makes me think of Mike Zimmer.

Went from the Cincinnati DC penthouse to... who knows where he is now?

Still like the guy.

well after cinci he went on to make $40 million coaching the vikings for 8 years turned out the current generation of players doesnt take too kindly to the grumpy screamy old coaches. his rage about being even around cousins makes me so happy... cause fuck cousins. 

22 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Sanders says Zimmer is coming.  Zimmer is 66.  Seems that NFL teams are looking for younger guys these days.  If the Vikings had a good QB he would probably still be there.

and its a good fit for college players to have someone who can bark at them, especially in a revamping system.

41 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You're right! I thought I'd read a while back that he wasn't going to CO:

Colorado coach Deion Sanders recently confirmed that Willie Taggart and Mike Zimmer will join his staff in Boulder. During a recent interview on “Thee Pregame Show,” Sanders was breaking down new additions to his staff and mentioned the pair. He did not reveal in what capacity they will coach, but he did give a reason for bringing the two with him.

“Taggart’s coming too, by the way,” Sanders said. “Coach Zimmer’s coming too, by the way. So another two head coaches. One in the NFL as well as collegiate. But not only that. Forget the titles — they know this game and they know kids and they’ve been capable of making tremendous decisions with the kids and the young men in mind. So that’s what I adore the most — understanding how to establish the relationships with these young men.”

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The trend right now is Offensive head coaches. Some team is going to come along and win a superbowl on the strength of their defense and change that trend. Lou will get his chance when that happens.

yea, the bengals, in 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The trend right now is Offensive head coaches. Some team is going to come along and win a superbowl on the strength of their defense and change that trend. Lou will get his chance when that happens.

At 66yrs old, I doubt he gets a call for HC but maybe as a DC...

There's alot of young coaches ready to move up..

On 1/25/2023 at 4:29 PM, HavePityPlease said:

And this is why Marvin Lewis will never be in consideration for another NFL coaching opportunity

Archived