BENGALS @ CHIEFS - AFC Championship Game thread

52 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You’ve stated a lot to unpack—and as to the “rigging”, it is of course not possible. 

But the dynamic of the NFL—based on the successful NBA model—is to create influence by way of multitudinous rules, which are impossible to enforce consistently. For that, no amount of “remedial training” is going to make things different. 

And, money is absolutely involved. Kermit is a highly recognizable figure. All of the commercials and media worship make him someone the average non-involved fan wants to watch. Every call was going to go his way—just as Michael Jordan had every call go his way. Talent+Favoritism=Advantage.

But, this is a dog-chase-tail discussion. Nothing is changing. For me, I’m more than used to it, so it is no longer upsetting. 

Maybe Joe will one day become Kermit—in terms of mass-popularity—and games such as this one go the Bengals’ way. 

I will say for myself at least, the kind of gambling-based game tilting I expect to see won't be straight-up game outcome fixing (I agree they can't do that without total buy-in from all parties), they'll just continue their normal tilting for that, but rather trying to influence the small/granular one-off sort of bets that are already being pumped as the game is going on - who is gonna score/get a sack/get the next tackle blah blah blah, how will the percentage change, so on and so forth.  As soon as they've run enough algos to be confident on maximum bet flow/throughput I won't be surprised if they start trying to tilt towards it.

7 hours ago, schneiderbengal said:

Everybody does it, including Joe. 

Absolutely true...except when Joe did it at least twice last night on far worse late hits, he didn't get the call...but Kermit did on the most important play of the game. 

Everybody does it, but only some get the refs flag.  I remember when JB was mic'd up a couple years back (rookie year maybe?) when he was the victim of a late hit...he got up and turned to the official and said "you're going to give me that call next year".  No question there is "latitude/discretion" in those calls/no-calls.

2 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Absolutely true...except when Joe did it at least twice last night on far worse late hits, he didn't get the call...but Kermit did on the most important play of the game. 

Everybody does it, but only some get the refs flag.  I remember when JB was mic'd up a couple years back (rookie year maybe?) when he was the victim of a late hit...he got up and turned to the official and said "you're going to give me that call next year".  No question there is "latitude/discretion" in those calls/no-calls.

Yep, he did the same thing when the Eagles destroyed him multiple times in his rookie year, saying "When I'm the GOAT I'll get that call".  He said the Eagles linemen laughed and gave him props for it.

55 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

On the Twitter thread I saw multiple attempts, the two I think are the closest are:

"It's my last year, motherfucker why you touch the quarterback" (meaning he realizes he's done with the Bengals and laments potentially missing his last chance at a SB)

or

"It's the last series, motherfucker why you touch the quarterback" (meaning you obviously don't touch the QB on the last drive of the game before OT)

Something to that effect.  Fair enough to say he's raging at Ossai and blames him for the outcome.  He should look in the mirror because he missed the easy tackle on Pacheco earlier which could have been decisive.

That is not good.  One of the things that has defined this team is how tight they are.  You can't have guys blaming each other.  Once it is OK to do it for one guy there will be others.  It's probably best that Pratt moves on in the offseason.  Throw in the stuff about him complaining about not being in on third down and I've heard enough.  He's a talented player and will get some nice offers, but it should be from some other team than the Bengals.

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

That is not good.  One of the things that has defined this team is how tight they are.  You can't have guys blaming each other.  Once it is OK to do it for one guy there will be others.  It's probably best that Pratt moves on in the offseason.  Throw in the stuff about him complaining about not being in on third down and I've heard enough.  He's a talented player and will get some nice offers, but it should be from some other team than the Bengals.

Depend on how Pratt handles himself after he calmed down. I don't like this either but if he apologizes to Ossai it might be ok. He's a baller and saved us on alot of games but we can't have guys being shitty teammates 

I thought I saw Hilton on sideline why was he not on field. On the sack of burrow why did we leave adinniji one on one. Max protect there. Anyways we played our worst game on road against officials and league. Congrats to chiefs who might need to draft a qb based on what eagles are doing qbs. Eagles looked unstoppable

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I will say for myself at least, the kind of gambling-based game tilting I expect to see won't be straight-up game outcome fixing (I agree they can't do that without total buy-in from all parties), they'll just continue their normal tilting for that, but rather trying to influence the small/granular one-off sort of bets that are already being pumped as the game is going on - who is gonna score/get a sack/get the next tackle blah blah blah, how will the percentage change, so on and so forth.  As soon as they've run enough algos to be confident on maximum bet flow/throughput I won't be surprised if they start trying to tilt towards it.

It likely has already evolved into a BillyBall baseball metric system, just as not as well-developed. 

Archived