BENGALS @ CHIEFS - AFC Championship Game thread

22 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Not rigged, just not basketball anymore.  

Here's a taste of what passes for basketball in the NBA.  This is one player who has "favoured" status, and a small subset of the shit he is allowed to do:

What they highlight as "carrying" there is pretty well the standard now, think a lot of coaches even teach it as "pocketing".  Used to be a hard dribble that would allow you to palm the ball and change direction but has become more of a scoop motion.  

Just now, T-Dub said:

What they highlight as "carrying" there is pretty well the standard now, think a lot of coaches even teach it as "pocketing".  Used to be a hard dribble that would allow you to palm the ball and change direction but has become more of a scoop motion.  

Totally agree, "true" carrying as an actual enforced rule has been pretty much gone since at least the late 80's, all the way down to biddy ball.  I know this because my dad - phys ed teacher, very successful high school bball coach - was asked to ref some of our games when I was in 7th grade.  He enforced "true" carrying and he was blowing the whistle so much the parents of BOTH TEAMS were booing and jeering him for most of the game.  Good times!

And you're right about the metamorphosis as well I think - whatever Morant is doing here would have been called maybe 10-15 years ago, but now players can pretty much "pretend to pick the ball up" and decide to keep dribbling without a call... as long as they might go dunk it or something. 

5 hours ago, Mikeslumina said:

7 million for Super Bowl add just shows who nfl wants in Super Bowl. Maholmes and big market team Philly. 

Have to wonder if they think 2 east coast teams means half the country opting not to sit through 5 hours of NFL circlejerk.  I know I don't much care about the SB unless there's a party to go to, not unless the Bengals are playing.

58 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Have to wonder if they think 2 east coast teams means half the country opting not to sit through 5 hours of NFL circlejerk.  I know I don't much care about the SB unless there's a party to go to, not unless the Bengals are playing.

TV's turned on means mission accomplished for the NFL. Doesn't matter who (or even if anyone) is watching, the score is the same for being able to charge zillions for advertising. And since much of America only watches (or not) this stellar event for the commercials, double bingo. 

And, a week after it's over, no one will remember anything about it--who won, who lost, or even who the hell the "who's" are.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If my son comes over to watch the game with his dad,  I may sit in the room and casually watch it so I can hang out with him. Otherwise, meh. 

Archived