BENGALS @ CHIEFS - AFC Championship Game thread

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I literally just posted.a video that Pat Macaphee went in hard about how bad the refs were. And have said how I think it needs to be a full time job to fix some of these problems. I also agree with ever word he says in his video about it being "fixed"

Horrible officiating is a far cry from some of the accusation that are being thrown around though. And they are accusation that had we won nobody would be saying and we all know that.

But maybe of I post some meme face and call everyone who thinks otherwise naive I'll convince people 

Nah just tell them they're all tinfoil hat loonies and trying to cope, surely that will sway them.  

These championship games are supposed to be the top rated NFL officials.  If this is the best they have to offer, what does that say about the sport?  The average high school game has more competent refs.  Blaming their union seems like a ridiculous excuse to me.

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Nah just tell them they're all tinfoil hat loonies and trying to cope, surely that will sway them.  

These championship games are supposed to be the top rated NFL officials.  If this is the best they have to offer, what does that say about the sport?  The average high school game has more competent refs.  Blaming their union seems like a ridiculous excuse to me.

You said the same stuff about the NFL wants them to win before the Buffalo game was even played. Then retracted after we won. 

The officiating was bad, it's bad far too often and not just in Bengals games. It's a problem and the league needs to address it. I am not in disagreement about that. I. Just not going to convince myself that other shenanigans are going on to keep us from winning it all so that I can feel better about it.

37 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You said the same stuff about the NFL wants them to win before the Buffalo game was even played. Then retracted after we won. 

The officiating was bad, it's bad far too often and not just in Bengals games. It's a problem and the league needs to address it. I am not in disagreement about that. I. Just not going to convince myself that other shenanigans are going on to keep us from winning it all so that I can feel better about it.

So we can disagree about that - whether it's deliberate or not really doesn't matter that much, the results are the same.  It's changing outcomes either way & eventually will ruin the product.

1 hour ago, Mikeslumina said:

One more thing on penalties. I hope burrow is ok because Chris jones put all his weight on him when he sacked him. Should have been a penalty. Hope joe wrist which is probably broken does not need pins or whatever I hope I am wrong . 

Yeah the clock bs or phantom holds & PI are one thing but the rules meant to protect players need to be enforced all the time, not just for a handful of marquee players.  One of the Chiefs fully dove on Mixon OOB when he was already on the ground.  Only consolation is that a couple of their players managed to jack themselves up trying to headhunt (which seems almost as likely as inflicting the injury they're aiming for tbh.)

9 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah, man.  This board is full of experts. 

When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.

Already have attacked the message…more times than I have hairs on my head. And have for many years. 

it matters little in the grand scheme of things. Nothing changes it, regardless of what you, me, this board, the fan world, or tank-top dude say. 

One either goes along with it, or one doesn’t. Leviathan doesn’t care either way. 

/End of my 2022 season “discussion” on this subject/

7 hours ago, Mikeslumina said:

One more thing on penalties. I hope burrow is ok because Chris jones put all his weight on him when he sacked him. Should have been a penalty. Hope joe wrist which is probably broken does not need pins or whatever I hope I am wrong . 

I noticed that too. He made sure he drove all of his weight into him while on the ground which I thought was a big no-no.  It was kind of a Burfict move. 

1 hour ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

With all the calls made against us and a beat up o line we still could have won that game anyway hope the chiefs get pummeled vs Eagles 

When the playoffs started, I was of the mindset that hopefully the Bengals win the SB (obviously), but if not, then I wanted it to be AFC victory all the way.  After Sunday's debacle, I'm over that now, so I hope the Eagles win is the most one-sided victory in the history of the SuperBowl.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Don't they make good money working the games? Not sure this fixes anything if they're already well paid. If these guys are moonlighting as Uber drivers to make ends meet then yeah, maybe.

I'm not sure the money is the problem. It's more of if they were full time they could be spending their non-game days reviewing each week's calls and what was good and what was bad so they could work on being more consistent throughout the league.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure the money is the problem. It's more of if they were full time they could be spending their non-game days reviewing each week's calls and what was good and what was bad so they could work on being more consistent throughout the league.

The NFL reviews and grades them every week. The crew we got were, in theory, the top 3 at their positions. Like I've said, incompetence doesn't seem to explain it.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The NFL reviews and grades them every week. The crew we got were, in theory, the top 3 at their positions. Like I've said, incompetence doesn't seem to explain it.

Sure but what steps then do they have to improve it and when if this is not their full time job can they take those steps? 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Sure but what steps then do they have to improve it and when if this is not their full time job can they take those steps? 

More importantly, where is the admission that it's a problem at all, or any intent to solve it?

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

More importantly, where is the admission that it's a problem at all, or any intent to solve it?

I mean I think we both agree that if it continues to be as egregious as it is they are going to start losing fans over it.

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I mean I think we both agree that if it continues to be as egregious as it is they are going to start losing fans over it.

Unfortunately I think we're still a long way from it impacting their bottom line, even if it's not a part of their plan.

On refs - the fact that the NFL does not have full time refs is quite amazing. Having said that, the NHL has full time refs and they miss calls or have phantom calls all the time. Part of it is human nature, part of it the language of the rules (like when you sack a QB you can’t put full weight on him, this is ridiculous and is then subject to judgement) but lastly, I think the major leagues like these issues because it sparks rivalries and debate and keeps the conversation going between games. 

That brutal missed PI a few years back cost the Saints , but nothing changes. You could have a SB decided by the mind numbing “what is a catch “ definition. The league does not care. 

it is not rigged, it is just a bad ref model employed. There is holding in virtually every play yet the refs miss obvious ones but then call ones that are sketchy. 

Nature of the beast. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Unfortunately I think we're still a long way from it impacting their bottom line, even if it's not a part of their plan.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Probably true sadly

With people still watching the complete abomination that is the NBA and its application of "rules", the NFL has a lot of space left before they have to even begin to worry about it IMO.

Archived