2023 Free Agency thread

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Agreed that Jonah isn't the long-term answer. But Carman likely isn't either or at least they shouldn't gamble that he isn't. 

If the team stands pat, we'll see Williams at LT and either Carman or Adeniji at RT until Collins returns. 

I think we can get by for a couple of years with the Collins/Carman combo at RT. But we shouldn't extend or tag Jonah after this season, so this year's draft would be a good time to find his heir and give them some playing time before taking over the LT position full time. But the draft looks better for RTs than LTs this year. 

No more gambling and no more getting by.  We've got one of - if not THE - best young QB's in the game and are limiting his potential with a half-assed OL full of marginal players. It's frustrating as all hell and despite saying all the right things in public I'm sure JB knows better than anyone that it's holding him back.

That can not continue. Credit them for making a solid effort to improve last off-season but it's far from fixed now. Williams and Carman as opening day starters won't cut it. 

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

No more gambling and no more getting by.  We've got one of - if not THE - best young QB's in the game and are limiting his potential with a half-assed OL full of marginal players. It's frustrating as all hell and despite saying all the right things in public I'm sure JB knows better than anyone that it's holding him back.

That can not continue. Credit them for making a solid effort to improve last off-season but it's far from fixed now. Williams and Carman as opening day starters won't cut it. 

Then it’s most likely gonna have to be addressed in FA.

You don’t pick for need when you’re picking at the end of round one, you’re picking for the best overall talent.

When you deviate, you end up with busts. 

Price of being a winner I suppose. 

It’s all on Duke and co. 

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I agree with this, and finding a right tackle will be easier, but the left tackle position is not one that is as easy to replace. Saying we want better tackles is easy, going and finding them is not as easy.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Saying we want better tackles is easy, going and finding them is not as easy.

That's very true.  What I definitely do not want to hear come August is a bunch of happytalk about how great Collins and Williams look on the rehab field.  

23 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Slightly OT but baseball free agent Jayson Pointer says he will not sign

with a team in a state that takes half his wages in taxes.

Something for football free agents to ponder, too, perhaps.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nfl-star-tyreek-hill-says-the-taxes-part-out-loud-what-hes-saving-by-playing-in-miami-instead-of-in-new-jersey-or-with-another-team-11664979086

Interesting article talking about this.

15 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Interesting thought(s).  I wonder which NFL cities have the lowest tax rates?

Cincinnati has to be among them.

Maybe the next NFL franchise will be in Anchorage Alaska.

The Anchorage Nanooks.  (Init for Polar Bear... name of the Fairbanks High School teams)

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Cincinnati has to be among them.

For you and me, not too bad. But for entertainers in the pro football salary ranges, not really great. 

Without deductions taken in, it looks like an average marginal rate for a guy making $2 million is state taxed at a 37% rate. That doesn’t include any city income taxes involved. 

Definitely better than NY/NJ, but not Nevada either. 

2 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

That's a pretty meaningless response from Tobin. Nobody is saying the team should dump Tee for nothing. But he shouldn't be untouchable either. If another team makes a good offer for him, the Bengals should at least listen and see what it does for them. 

I wouldn’t call it meaningless.  It’s been widely speculated nationally and locally that Higgins could be dealt and Tobin’s comments are unequivocal that he isn’t considering doing so.  Personally, I think it’s more likely he’s extended or franchised than traded.  At a minimum I expect Higgins to be a Bengal for another two seasons.  Keeping him longer term is not guaranteed but there’s going to be several guys coming off the books (Boyd, Mixon, Jonah) that will make it possible.  

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That's a pretty meaningless response from Tobin. Nobody is saying the team should dump Tee for nothing. But he shouldn't be untouchable either. If another team makes a good offer for him, the Bengals should at least listen and see what it does for them. 

Yes..im sure he knows that as well but it would take a big pot for them to trade him.

He's that good..

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Tobin's comments don't mean anything. Tee could be traded this offseason and he'll just say another team made a great offer for him and they wish Tee well as he continues his career elsewhere. It's just PR to avoid a topic he doesn't care to discuss. 

Anything could happen obviously but it’s all pointless speculation right now.  Higgins has said he wants to be here and Tobin is now on record saying he’s not interested in trading him.  What’s not to believe about it?  I’d get your point if Tobin dodged the question or hedged somewhat, but he didn’t do that.  I guess we’ll see what happens.

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Anything could happen obviously but it’s all pointless speculation right now.  Higgins has said he wants to be here and Tobin is now on record saying he’s not interested in trading him.  What’s not to believe about it?  I’d get your point if Tobin dodged the question or hedged somewhat, but he didn’t do that.  I guess we’ll see what happens.

Tobin is a straight up front talker.

I don't know how much more the team can say about keeping Tee..

It's not only a luxury to have two WR1

but if Chase were to miss time Higgins still gives them a WR1 as he did this past season..

On 2/24/2023 at 7:52 PM, stan said:

Why is everyone looking for another rb,if they cut Mixon.What is wrong with giving Chris Evans, a chance to take the job?

Wasn't impressive as a rook.  Dire, give him a chance, but settle for/depend on him.  I bring in a vet FA AND a mid-late round draft pick to compete.

Archived