2023 Free Agency thread

13 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I like Bell. He’s a good veteran. Smart guy and a leader. I’d rather have him than let him leave, especially at the price he got. I’m not keen on replacing both safeties in the same year.

But, Pratt is two years younger and one of the best cover LBs in the league. A rare commodity. I feel like he’s just coming in to his own and the LB group is stronger than it’s been in a very long time. Pratt is also a very smart player and wore the green dot when Wilson was out. He’s a sure tackler and is super steady.

So, yes, I’d take Pratt over Bell given the option. It’s the first day of free agency and there’s still lots of options out there.

Unfortunately we knew there would be some losses. It’s unfortunately the nature of the league as your team matures and oddly a sign of being an above average team.

Who knows. Let’s hope the Bengals do another good job in free agency this offseason and impress us just when we’re starting to doubt them.

Pratt is 27, Bell is 28. It's much easier to replace a LB, especially with ADG in house than both safeties. They have Hill ready to go to replace Bates but no replacement on hand with years in Anarumo's system. We can bring in a vet safety but we'll be back to 100 level playcalls rather than 400 level calls.

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Or the fact that he sucks...we have young guys that need to develop not pay some washed up guy to take up a roster spot.

Yes, let's not bring in older guys who are cheaper and better than what we have now. 🙄

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Pratt is younger and on his second contract.  Bell is on his third.  Makes a difference. 

I'm disappointed to lose Bell, but lets see how they replace him before we grab the torches and pitchforks.

So what replacement is available that is better than Bell and whom the Bengals might sign? There isn't much out there and this is a poor draft for safeties.

35 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Pratt is 27, Bell is 28. It's much easier to replace a LB, especially with ADG in house than both safeties. They have Hill ready to go to replace Bates but no replacement on hand with years in Anarumo's system. We can bring in a vet safety but we'll be back to 100 level playcalls rather than 400 level calls.

Yes, let's not bring in older guys who are cheaper and better than what we have now. 🙄

So what replacement is available that is better than Bell and whom the Bengals might sign? There isn't much out there and this is a poor draft for safeties.

Julian love

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

If the Bengals want to win, they have to keep Burrow. In order to keep Burrow, they’re going to have to make him the highest paid player in the league. This doesn’t seem that hard to figure out. 

Tommy Bay was the highest earning player in 2022. He also earned $300 million over his career. He also has had a part in 7 SB’s. 

He also was never the highest paid QB. He had a reason

"I think the thing I've always felt for me in my life, winning has been a priority." -Tom Brady on Jimmy Kimmel Live when asked about his willingness to take pay cuts

We don’t know what St. Joseph—who hasn’t won a SB—would say about taking less for the good of keeping championship teams together—would say if approached. Speculation is all you have. 

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Tommy Bay was the highest earning player in 2022. He also earned $300 million over his career. He also has had a part in 7 SB’s. 

He also was never the highest paid QB. He had a reason

"I think the thing I've always felt for me in my life, winning has been a priority." -Tom Brady on Jimmy Kimmel Live when asked about his willingness to take pay cuts

We don’t know what St. Joseph—who hasn’t won a SB—would say about taking less for the good of keeping championship teams together—would say if approached. Speculation is all you have. 

Speculation is all anyone has, including you, until a contract is signed.

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Good lord, the Bengals should have been all over that. Beachum is old but solid and played better than Williams or Collins last year. 

He's 34 and signed up for back up money,  2 years/ 5 million. He's not good, he's an adequate backup.  

There's literally no reason to have 34 year old average at best oline on your team when you could have a younger guy that has the potential to get better. 

No one thinks Beachum is better than Jonah or Collins, the salary difference between them proves this. If Beachum is so good why did sign for less than what both Collins and Williams make?

Normally the better players get paid more than the guys who aren't as good...

Archived