2023 Free Agency thread

11 hours ago, stryker57 said:

well you say  mixon cant pass block .. f*ck it . get a LT that can. LOL gotta have a  laugh  with sparky... it aint like they're saving up for orlando brown jr  ya know .. 

honestly i'd have felt pretty safe typing that too my friend. 

gotta say i am impressed. 

Yeah, that didn't age well or even overnight.

I'm glad they have Brown but they still should have kept Bell for sure and probably Hurst. 

24 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Let's not forget Collins played LG at Dallas and LSU.

And that Jonah Williams played a third of his career at Alabama at RT. The Bengals definitely have more options today than they did yesterday at this time. I think Collins is the easy cut (or injury settlement) due to the fact that they can save about $6 million against the cap in doing so. I also don't know that this is guaranteed to happen. I have to believe Jonah Williams is staying as I cannot see anyone trading and taking on his $12 million salary.

I do believe there is a cap saving cut coming. The Bengals over the past few years have waited to get the ball rolling and then have cut salary further into free agency (Geno Atkins, Bobby Hart, etc.).

Getting Scott or Rapp from the Rams would probably be the best recovery we can do. This draft doesn't have impact safeties in it. We should sign a vet TE, preferably a starter but we could work an early round rookie into the rotation well before midseason. We should re-sign Apple and Flowers or get similar replacements for depth. We probably still need to draft a CB earlyish as a Chido insurance in 2023 and replacement in 2024. 

What I'd do: trade Jonah if possible. If not, cut Collins. Sign Scott or Rapp. Sign a stopgap TE like Brate or Tonyan. Sign Hunt at RB if his price is reasonable. Then cut Mixon. 

Draft TE, CB, RB early then BPA. 

4 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

And that Jonah Williams played a third of his career at Alabama at RT. The Bengals definitely have more options today than they did yesterday at this time. I think Collins is the easy cut (or injury settlement) due to the fact that they can save about $6 million against the cap in doing so. I also don't know that this is guaranteed to happen. I have to believe Jonah Williams is staying as I cannot see anyone trading and taking on his $12 million salary.

I do believe there is a cap saving cut coming. The Bengals over the past few years have waited to get the ball rolling and then have cut salary further into free agency (Geno Atkins, Bobby Hart, etc.).

There is no chance Collins gets waived before he recovers from his injury. Teams receive financial penalties for that.

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'm glad they have Brown but they still should have kept Bell for sure and probably Hurst. 

Ides of March was yesterday but.... "Etu, Sparky?"

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Bell maybe, Hurst not. Especially not at the price. He has long red hair and and screams and flexes when he catches the ball. It's super fun. But, he's a very average TE that had a lot more chances on the Bengals with Burrow throwing to him and other receiving options giving him more opportunity than he would have elsewhere. I'm not trying to slam the guy. He's a cool cat but he's average at best across the board statistically, has below average speed to create big plays and/or create separation and was not a significant red zone target.

So, why keep him? His departure makes perfect sense for both him and the Bengals.    

4 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Bell maybe, Hurst not. Especially not at the price. He has long red hair and and screams and flexes when he catches the ball. It's super fun. But, he's a very average TE that had a lot more chances on the Bengals with Burrow throwing to him and other receiving options giving him more opportunity than he would have elsewhere. I'm not trying to slam the guy. He's a cool cat but he's average at best across the board statistically, has below average speed to create big plays and/or create separation and was not a significant red zone target.

So, why keep him? His departure makes perfect sense for both him and the Bengals.    

…but he makes such a pretty picture.

16434F64-F5B9-4158-9496-6D88DD748D22.jpeg.8b2ccff78225459fe8c528b6db0a1a83.jpeg

14 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

All this. Hust was fun to root for and good for him for getting his bag. But I'm not paying a 30 year old average TE that money.

21 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Hurst pretended to be all about winning, and then jumped ship to a flailing franchise for a little extra cash. Oh well, we need guys with dawgs in em, like Orlando Brown 

When someone signs up for 1 year, don't expect them back the next year.  I'm not bitter at HH, it's what I expected.

21 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Lol. Hurst's new contract makes him the 19th highest paid TE in the league. Sure, he's average but 7 mil per year for an average veteran starter is pretty reasonable. 

No, it's not. $3-$5 million might be OK. $7 million is far too much. That would put him ahead of Mike Hilton, on par with Germaine Pratt and just behind Awuzie and Chase this coming season. Especially on a three year deal for a guy about to turn 30.

It is pretty cool when he flexes and screams after making a catch though.

Is Hayden Hurst Playing In The AFC Championship? | Fantasy News

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Getting Scott or Rapp from the Rams would probably be the best recovery we can do. This draft doesn't have impact safeties in it. We should sign a vet TE, preferably a starter but we could work an early round rookie into the rotation well before midseason. We should re-sign Apple and Flowers or get similar replacements for depth. We probably still need to draft a CB earlyish as a Chido insurance in 2023 and replacement in 2024. 

What I'd do: trade Jonah if possible. If not, cut Collins. Sign Scott or Rapp. Sign a stopgap TE like Brate or Tonyan. Sign Hunt at RB if his price is reasonable. Then cut Mixon. 

Draft TE, CB, RB early then BPA. 

Agree with this plan. I think in order:

1. Sign a starting caliber Safety. Gardner-Johnson would be ideal but probably too expensive after the Brown contract. Scott, Rapp, and Love each seem like solid fits. This is the only spot where I think trying to find a guy for $5M+ and multiple seasons really makes sense. 

2. Sign somebody at TE. Preferably somebody good but I think they are definitely going to draft one in the first three rounds so you can probably get by with going cheap here if you have to. 

3. Sign somebody at RB. Kind of same thing as TE. Get a solid veteran who can play. Draft a long-term starter on Day 2. Dump Mixon.

4. Draft a young CB. I'm not actually that worried about Chido. He's ahead of pace in his recovery and should be fine. Adding more depth outside and a potential 2024 starter would be nice. 

I think they also make some veteran minimum type depth signings too. Cody Ford as a backup OG would fit this mold. Maybe a DT to compete with Tupou, Tufele and those guys. Though wouldn't mind seeing that DL depth come through Day 3 of the draft. 

14 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Agree with this plan. I think in order:

1. Sign a starting caliber Safety. Gardner-Johnson would be ideal but probably too expensive after the Brown contract. Scott, Rapp, and Love each seem like solid fits. This is the only spot where I think trying to find a guy for $5M+ and multiple seasons really makes sense. 

2. Sign somebody at TE. Preferably somebody good but I think they are definitely going to draft one in the first three rounds so you can probably get by with going cheap here if you have to. 

3. Sign somebody at RB. Kind of same thing as TE. Get a solid veteran who can play. Draft a long-term starter on Day 2. Dump Mixon.

4. Draft a young CB. I'm not actually that worried about Chido. He's ahead of pace in his recovery and should be fine. Adding more depth outside and a potential 2024 starter would be nice. 

I think they also make some veteran minimum type depth signings too. Cody Ford as a backup OG would fit this mold. Maybe a DT to compete with Tupou, Tufele and those guys. Though wouldn't mind seeing that DL depth come through Day 3 of the draft. 

Taylor Rapp runs a 4.78 forty

No thanks.

Archived