2023 Free Agency thread

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Ford will probably replace Scharping as our veteran backup IOL. 

PFF Grades Sharping as better.

Do we know the details of this deal? I know it's early in the process so he's likely not camp fodder, but I'm not getting too bothered by a back up G right now.

Just now, sparky151 said:

Well, sure it would be nice to get someone who is better. But they may be looking to start ala Graham Glasgow. Ford is no great shakes but he does have 32 career starts along with good size. 

Who knows, maybe just the result of bad coaching or maybe it just takes him time to become something, and maybe he continues to not be that great. Either way we can still look at the draft to get another G as I do think well need one more to backup Volson.

Before the Bengals signed Cody Ford they essentially had zero backup OGs on the roster. Unless you consider Jackson Carman an OG and then, they had one. Even Scharping is a free agent. I've got to think they paid Ford very modest dollars on this contract. If that's the case, it's a smart risk. He was an early second round draft pick in 2019. He's been all but a bust so far but, he's suffered injuries three of the last four seasons and been bounced around the offensive line. Let's see what Pollack can do with him and worst case, I'm guessing he'll be a cheap cut.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, sparky151 said:

Carolina may have discovered the Bengals apparent kryptonite if guaranteed money in year 2 is a no no. They got both Bell and Hurst pretty cheaply.

Yes, but 1 vet plus 1 rookie will be fine. 

Bell and Hurst weren't overpaid. More than half of the top tier free agents are now signed. Bengals aren't saving up for Orlando Brown Jr, they just aren't getting offers accepted or aren't making sufficient offers to fill holes yet. If their attitude is we'll let other teams take their pick and be happy with the leftovers, that's not very encouraging. Bell was our most important free agent and a comparable replacement will cost more. 

That aged well, Didn't it??😁😁😁😁

10 hours ago, happyrid said:

We don't have the money for both. 

Smart to kick the tires on both and negotiate with both. Only helps the Bengals leverage at this point.

I'm not certain they don't have the money for both. There are moves that could be made. But, I also would figure they are not looking to spend cap on two starting caliber safeties when they drafted Dax Hill in the first round last year. Additionally, if they are in fact extending Joe Burrow this season, then I would then think you are 100% correct in your assessment. I'm not even sure where they are getting the money for that with the current roster.

Taylor Rapp is more of a box safety but has also played at free safety. Nick Scott started at free safety last season. I'm wondering if one will be a better fit than the other for the system and considering they have Hill who I assume they see as the free safety. The more I have looked at the two, my preference is actually Scott but, I'd be very pleased with Rapp too.

Very unusual move to negotiate with both a free safety and a strong safety free agent from the same team for one safety spot. Dax Hill was more of a SS at Michigan and practiced most of last preseason in Bates' FS spot. So he has experience practiced and played at both FS and SS.

According to some fairly reliable posts on Twitter, the Bengals have Cody Ford slated as a right tackle. He's even listed on their site as an OT. For love of all that is good and Joey, I hope he's not their answer as the starting ROT this year. That would be fucking terrible.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm not certain they don't have the money for both. There are moves that could be made. But, I also would figure they are not looking to spend cap on two starting caliber safeties when they drafted Dax Hill in the first round last year. Additionally, if they are in fact extending Joe Burrow this season, then I would then think you are 100% correct in your assessment. I'm not even sure where they are getting the money for that with the current roster.

Taylor Rapp is more of a box safety but has also played at free safety. Nick Scott started at free safety last season. I'm wondering if one will be a better fit than the other for the system and considering they have Hill who I assume they see as the free safety. The more I have looked at the two, my preference is actually Scott but, I'd be very pleased with Rapp too.

I'm with you on Scott over Rapp, which feels weird to say given that I didn't know Scott existed until a couple days ago. But in learning more about him, I like what he brings.

And you may be right that they could afford both. But I'm assuming both are going to cost $5M+ per year. With their roster needs and the big Burrow deal upcoming, it just doesn't make any sense to pay a backup Safety that much. I would be absolutely shocked if they pay starter money to multiple Safeties with Dax Hill already locked into one of the two spots. 

Archived