2023 Free Agency thread

29 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Dobbs gone

Schultz gone

Singletary gone

Harris gone

Rough night for upgrading RB position. Looks like Mixon is back.  

First time I’ve been truly frustrated by whatever their plan is this off-season. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Dobbs gone

Schultz gone

Singletary gone

Harris gone

I'm unconvinced.  They'll have other FA options if they don't get someone in the draft.  They can wait to cut him once they're confident in a replacement.

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I certainly hope not.

Maybe Zeke Elliot will be the 2023 version of A.J. Hawk

who came in with hype and jerseys in the pro shop and left

under cover of darkness.

Recently saw a picture of a Taliban soldier with an RPG

wearing a Bengals Hawk jersey.

55 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Cut Mixon's salary and he is probably as good as anyone out there.  Draft a RB and bring in a bunch of UDFA's and see who sticks.

It fits the Bengals MO to draft a RB early.  Offense first.  At this point I can't see them cutting Mixon.  If the Bengals had any faith in Evans or Williams we would have seen more from them by now.  Wonder how Mixon will deal with working with his eventual replacement?

They should sign a veteran RB to pair with a rookie. Kareem Hunt on a short term deal would make sense. He once led the NFL in rushing yards and is still only 27. For that matter, Zeke Elliott is still 27 though I would take a pass on him. Other options would be Ronald Jones, Jerick McKinnon, Leonard Fournette, D'Ernest Johnson, Marlon Mack, and others. The guys I listed are all under 30. Apart from Hunt, none scream "Bellcow" but all would fit in a rotation. 

Let's re-sign Apple and Flowers, add Moreau and a vet RB. Then head to the draft with all our starting positions covered. 

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

I believe 100% that their plan has always been to draft a RB with one of their first two picks. 

I don't understand that at all in a pass-first offense that was 25th in attempts/game last season. The OL is much improved but still heavily geared toward pass pro..

What's this first round RB going to do exactly?

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't understand that at all in a pass-first offense that was 25th in attempts/game last season. The OL is much improved but still heavily geared toward pass pro..

Even teams with franchise QBs still want to run the ball effectively, Kansas City drafted a RB in the 1st round a couple of years ago, Buffalo drafted a RB in the 2nd round last year. The biggest reward of running the ball effectively is that defenses have to put another guy in the box, then QBs like Burrow and Mahomes become unstoppable. 

Also, RBs might be the easiest position in the league to come in and have immediate impact. Take last year with Walker in Seattle, Hall with the Jets, a few others. All of them taken Day Two and starring right from game one.

6 minutes ago, dex said:

Even teams with franchise QBs still want to run the ball effectively, Kansas City drafted a RB in the 1st round a couple of years ago, Buffalo drafted a RB in the 2nd round last year. The biggest reward of running the ball effectively is that defenses have to put another guy in the box, then QBs like Burrow and Mahomes become unstoppable. 

Also, RBs might be the easiest position in the league to come in and have immediate impact. Take last year with Walker in Seattle, Hall with the Jets, a few others. All of them taken Day Two and starring right from game one.

Yes, but they are now starting the guy they drafted in round 7 and likely wont re-sign the guy they drafted in round 1. 

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yes, but they are now starting the guy they drafted in round 7 and likely wont re-sign the guy they drafted in round 1. 

The point remains that they want to run the ball effectively and invested in a 1st round pick for the position. That's how much they wanted to put more pressure on defenses. And KC has one of the best GMs in the league.

Cincinnati has been scouting and talking to Day Two backs like Gibbs and Charbonnet. That tells me they are at least considering drafting a RB early. The RB and TE position classes are strong in this draft, although TE especially.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

It seems to be a philosophy with them.
Want/need a RB, take him early.

That just seems to be their preference. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe fit in to Taylor's offense better than Mixon who was drafted prior to Taylor's arrival.  Maybe one who can pass block?  Maybe one who is more elusive?  Maybe one who is a better receiver?  Maybe one who will eventually replace Mixon who is going into his seventh season?  Getting to the end of normal RB shelf life. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Maybe fit in to Taylor's offense better than Mixon who was drafted prior to Taylor's arrival.  Maybe one who can pass block?  Maybe one who is more elusive?  Maybe one who is a better receiver?  Maybe one who will eventually replace Mixon who is going into his seventh season?  Getting to the end of normal RB shelf life. 

maybe....

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

For those who follow prospects, are there RB's in the draft have shown they can run/receive/block? Not trying to be factitious here, I know college backs are not usually asked to block for example. Just more wondering who folks here see as a good fit for our needs?

20 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

For those who follow prospects, are there RB's in the draft have shown they can run/receive/block? Not trying to be factitious here, I know college backs are not usually asked to block for example. Just more wondering who folks here see as a good fit for our needs?

My question as well.  If we're looking for a RB where actually running the ball is solidly in 3rd place behind blocking and receiving, does that require first or even second round talent? College backs are so consistently overrated I just don't trust the value is there as BPA in early rounds.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Hoping we can land Moreau and bring back Apple and Flowers back soon so we can go into the draft not necessarily having a need (except maybe RT) and go BPA.

RT and TE are still holes.  Be nice to get some average vets in those spots so there's no incentive to reach.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

RT and TE are still holes.  Be nice to get some average vets in those spots so there's no incentive to reach.

I dont see a good RT in FA right now, I think were going to have to draft one or hope that Collins back can get right.

I think Moreau might be able to do what Hurst did, but think we are likely to draft one in the top 3 rounds. I think because TE is deep this year we will get a guy that help right away even if it's not in the 1st.

Also not sure we will have to reach on either spot unless someone drops in the 1st that they just cant pass on but still leaves us needing to take RT in 2. I think we can get a TE in 3 that will be another weapon for Joe.

1 hour ago, dex said:

The point remains that they want to run the ball effectively and invested in a 1st round pick for the position. That's how much they wanted to put more pressure on defenses. And KC has one of the best GMs in the league.

Cincinnati has been scouting and talking to Day Two backs like Gibbs and Charbonnet. That tells me they are at least considering drafting a RB early. The RB and TE position classes are strong in this draft, although TE especially.

I know TE is considered a strong position, but that's what, six to eight guys maybe?  There are a lot of teams that need a TE and they're all thinking the same thing.  If we want a TE, I think we're going to have to get one in the first round or reach a little later in the draft for someone.  (I know you were mainly talking about RBs here, but that thought just popped into my head)

3 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I know TE is considered a strong position, but that's what, six to eight guys maybe?  There are a lot of teams that need a TE and they're all thinking the same thing.  If we want a TE, I think we're going to have to get one in the first round or reach a little later in the draft for someone.  (I know you were mainly talking about RBs here, but that thought just popped into my head)

Moving Jonah for an extra 3rd would be nice, considering.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont see a good RT in FA right now, I think were going to have to draft one or hope that Collins back can get right.

I don't expect good, I'd settle for healthy and with starting experience.  Anyone better than Adeniji and not starting the season PUPed would be an improvement.

Archived