2023 Free Agency thread

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Moving Jonah for an extra 3rd would be nice, considering.

I'd love a 3rd for Jonah...I don't think it would happen until draft day when a team misses on a LT they were targeting.  Hopefully we can get a 3rd or multiple picks (4th and 5th?) for him.  Having only seven picks feels very limiting.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't expect good, I'd settle for healthy and with starting experience.  Anyone better than Adeniji and not starting the season PUPed would be an improvement.

This isnt completely up to date as Eluemunor and Norton have both signed deals, but given the Bengals dislike for taking guys over 30, I don't see what you want available. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/right-tackle/

46 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

For those who follow prospects, are there RB's in the draft have shown they can run/receive/block? Not trying to be factitious here, I know college backs are not usually asked to block for example. Just more wondering who folks here see as a good fit for our needs?

All you can do is go by which RBs Cincinnati has already shown quite a bit of interest in. That tells you who the coaches believe will fit best in their system. Jahmyr Gibbs out of Alabama and Zach Charbonnet have already had personal visits from the coaches and received special attention. Gibbs gets comped as a faster version of Alvin Kamara a lot.

59 minutes ago, dex said:

All you can do is go by which RBs Cincinnati has already shown quite a bit of interest in. That tells you who the coaches believe will fit best in their system. Jahmyr Gibbs out of Alabama and Zach Charbonnet have already had personal visits from the coaches and received special attention. Gibbs gets comped as a faster version of Alvin Kamara a lot.

I saw some stats on Gibbs and he has a lot of receptions ass well as running plays, a nice mix. 

Charbonnet had 37 receptions last season (Gibbs had 44)

Devone Achane had 36 receptions. 

Chase Brown had 27. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I don't expect good, I'd settle for healthy and with starting experience.  Anyone better than Adeniji and not starting the season PUPed would be an improvement.

We already signed that guy in Cody Ford. But let's aim a little higher than a guy on a minimum benefit deal.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think a 3rd is the worst the Bengals would accept for Williams. If they don't get at least that and a team willing to pay his 12 million I think Williams is your starting RT this season.

Starting him at RT because of his paycheck would be awful. Wouldn't be the first time, but still a terrible idea.

Draft  a RB in the first to then hand it off to him behind a disgruntled Jonah? Or draft a TE that never gets to run routes because he has to help him block?

:Why-min:

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Starting him at RT because of his paycheck would be awful. Wouldn't be the first time, but still a terrible idea.

Draft  a RB in the first to then hand it off to him behind a disgruntled Jonah? Or draft a TE that never gets to run routes because he has to help him block?

:Why-min:

Maybe the Bears will trade for Jonah.

Their oline is in shambles .

Id think a 4th by them plus his salary would do it..

If he stays he could fight for a RT or LG spot.

No other options.

We say he'd play bad at RT but who really knows until he actually does?

Id like to move on from him but if he stays and plays he'll have to earn it now..

28 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Id like to move on from him but if he stays and plays he'll have to earn it now..

Shouldn't be hard if his only competition is Adeniji and Ford. Carman seemed lost anywhere other than LT but I guess that's still a possibility.

so we want a RB that can block and receive 1st and 2nd?  , and then run?  that sounds pretty dumb the #1 thing defenses want to do is make you 1 dimensional and you want that to be our plan going in?  pass pass pass and if it works we  run up the score , then put your recieving and clocking rb in and go 3 and out?  let defenses stop our run game while running nickels and dimes? and  blitz all day?? 

no... just draft a 2nd or 3rd day RB , run Mixon this year , what we really need is a 285 lb brusier rb with a true FB and beat the hell outta the defenses then play action off that. 

lets be realistic, some here want to cut players .. shave cap here and there to gain an extra couple  mil or ten and then sign back players to fill in what you cut. 

The bengals just dont work this way. 

we lost payers, but we ended up (somehow) with the top LT in free agency .

be happy

20 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

What we really need is a 285 lb brusier rb with a true FB and beat the hell outta the defenses then play action off that. 

Much as I enjoyed watching that 20+ years ago, it's not remotely the style of offense being run here. This is a pass-first team as long as JB is here, just like pretty much every other team in the modern NFL is trying to be.. When was the last time they even carried a FB on the 53? 

Mixon, again, has been an average RB but is set to earn top 5 money. Average can be had for much less.

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Hey Katie,

We need a Foster Moreau signing,

K Thx Bye 🧡

In negotiations with him but his agent is playing ticky tack with them on a couple extra mil per.

So that's not happening  but still feel they .can sign him..

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

In negotiations with him but his agent is playing ticky tack with them on a couple extra mil per.

So that's not happening  but still feel they .can sign him..

Agents get a % of the total figure right? So they dgaf about guaranteed money or team options or any of that shit? Sure seems like a lot of these guys just want the big number and who cares if their client only realistically sees 5 out of that 50 mil. 

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Agents get a % of the total figure right? So they dgaf about guaranteed money or team options or any of that shit? Sure seems like a lot of these guys just want the big number and who cares if their client only realistically sees 5 out of that 50 mil. 

Lets say his agent is asking for at least 2yr 15mil 7.5 per deal..

Bengals may offer 2yr 11mil 5.5 deal.

Agent would receive 550k instead of 750 at 5%..

He wants that 750k deal..

Does Moreau really want to play with this offense and a SB shot  or just a few more mil from anyone?

On 3/21/2023 at 12:12 AM, T-Dub said:

I'm unconvinced.  They'll have other FA options if they don't get someone in the draft.  They can wait to cut him once they're confident in a replacement.

June 1 is the key date with Mixon. IMO he will be cut after that date if he’s going to be cut at all. Ideally, he restructures his contract and sticks around and splits time with the drafted RB. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:23 AM, spicoli said:

I believe 100% that their plan has always been to draft a RB with one of their first two picks. 

They like premium positions with the 1st Rd pick, leads me to believe 2nd Rd RB, 3rd Rd TE or potentially the other way around, TE in 2, RB in 3. Unless Robinson is there, then it’s a no brainer. 

29 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Does Moreau really want to play with this offense and a SB shot  or just a few more mil from anyone?

Could be he wants to get locked in to a starter role but the team is likely to draft a long term starter in the early rounds.

But it's probably just the money 🤑

On 3/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, WRAPradio said:

What do you like about Bresee?

The fact that he’s a disruptive force, plays with tenacity and is immensely talented. Add that Reader and Hill both FAs in the next year and year after, DLine is a huge need. It’s also a premium position. I know for sure they love Bresee. 

5 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

June 1 is the key date with Mixon. IMO he will be cut after that date if he’s going to be cut at all. Ideally, he restructures his contract and sticks around and splits time with the drafted RB.

That'd be real cool of him but my impression of him has been.. let's say clouded, by recent events. One incident I could write off, multiple incidents makes me think something is off in his camp 

14 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

The fact that he’s a disruptive force, plays with tenacity and is immensely talented. Add that Reader and Hill both FAs in the next year and year after, DLine is a huge need. It’s also a premium position. I know for sure they love Bresee. 

I'd be happy with DL early. Can't neglect the defense.

In fact this may sound sacrilegious but I'd be ok with drafting a replacement for Higgins as well. I'm not sure we can afford him in the long term and I don't think he's as irreplaceable as fans seem to think. Other teams are going to offer him WR1 money. I don't think we should match that.

That'd be real cool of him but my impression of him has been.. let's say clouded, by recent events. One incident I could write off, multiple incidents makes me think something is off in his camp 

No doubt, he’s not making things easy on himself.

I'd be happy with DL early. Can't neglect the defense.

In fact this may sound sacrilegious but I'd be ok with drafting a replacement for Higgins as well. I'm not sure we can afford him in the long term and I don't think he's as irreplaceable as fans seem to think. Other teams are going to offer him WR1 money. I don't think we should match that.

I completely agree. Find Higgins’ replacement. Just not this year. Next year ideally with one of the 2 1st Rd picks bengals receive in exchange for him. The thing is, he’s still under Bengals control for another 2 years at least if that’s how the bengals choose to proceed.   

Archived