2023 Free Agency thread

56 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

There are too many veterans for the potential starting spots out there. A veteran would want to come in and play for a contender. I don't think they are committed to Anderson as the 3rd guy. 

While I tend to agree, I question the Bengals wanting to come off precious cap dollars to sign one with Joe and Tee and 

eventually, Ja'Marr hanging out there.  To say nothing of some of the quality D players.

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

While I tend to agree, I question the Bengals wanting to come off precious cap dollars to sign one with Joe and Tee and 

eventually, Ja'Marr hanging out there.  To say nothing of some of the quality D players.

I agree. If you look at the KC roster last year, they relied heavily on young players and in particular the 2022 draft picks (which they did really well with). The more huge contracts you have on the roster and pending , the more critical it is to get young players on the field and playing. As well as we have done in FA over the last few years, it will be draft picks going forward that keep the team competitive. 

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Yup, we are going to have to get really good at drafting and coaching up the guys we draft if we want to keep playing in Feburary.

I don't think they are committed to Tycen Anderson as the 3rd safety. He didn't play a snap last season and hasn't shown anything yet. He'll get a chance but it's not like he would be hard to beat out. They can sign a cheap vet who may or may not beat out Mike Thomas or Tycen Anderson. Brandon Wilson would be a longshot to make the 53. 

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think they are committed to Tycen Anderson as the 3rd safety. He didn't play a snap last season and hasn't shown anything yet. He'll get a chance but it's not like he would be hard to beat out. They can sign a cheap vet who may or may not beat out Mike Thomas or Tycen Anderson. Brandon Wilson would be a longshot to make the 53. 

Anderson was out with an injury most of the season. Let's give him a full training camp and maybe we will see where he is at in his development. 

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Replacing the 51st person on the cap with a vet minimum contract costs almost nothing. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

And why would you think that?  I would think it they felt that way, they would have already made a move.

2 hours ago, kennethmw said:

And why would you think that?  I would think it they felt that way, they would have already made a move.

The market has to go all the way down. Vets will wait until after the draft to see who doesn't get the position they want. Then the market will drop all the way done because there will be too many vets for too few seats. 

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Brandon Wilson would be a longshot to stay healthy..😎

His speed is sub 4.4 though..

20 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

The market has to go all the way down. Vets will wait until after the draft to see who doesn't get the position they want. Then the market will drop all the way done because there will be too many vets for too few seats. 

If the Bengals thought there was a need in the area, they would grab someone now, I.E. Sidney Jones.  Just Sayin'!

On 3/26/2023 at 1:11 PM, dex said:

Anderson was out with an injury most of the season. Let's give him a full training camp and maybe we will see where he is at in his development. 

Uh, do you consider missing most of the season with an injury to be a recommendation for Anderson's prospects? They aren't going to cut him and he'll get a chance in camp to show he deserves to be on the 53, but he's certainly not a lock and hasn't shown anything yet. 

Bengals met with Kentavious Street and Tarrell Bashem

Street is really interesting. Will be just 26 at years start

DL Age Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps Starts 2022/Career stats Notes  
Street-Saints 26 49.2 42.3 59.8 61.2 518 0/4 29-5fl-8h-3.5s-1pd 372 B 104 O 6'2 287

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StreKe00.htm

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Uh, do you consider missing most of the season with an injury to be a recommendation for Anderson's prospects? They aren't going to cut him and he'll get a chance in camp to show he deserves to be on the 53, but he's certainly not a lock and hasn't shown anything yet. 

it was a hamstring, and I got the distinct impression they basically red-shirted him. I think his prospects are absolutely fine. 

Yes, they redshirted him instead of cutting him. Do you think he was going to beat out ST captain Mike Thomas for a roster spot? They carried 4 safeties last year and Bell, Bates, and Hill were locks. 

He'll get a chance to go to camp this year and possibly show something. But he hasn't shown anything yet. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, they redshirted him instead of cutting him. Do you think he was going to beat out ST captain Mike Thomas for a roster spot? They carried 4 safeties last year and Bell, Bates, and Hill were locks. 

He'll get a chance to go to camp this year and possibly show something. But he hasn't shown anything yet. 

They traded up to get Anderson. They like him. He can be a special teams ace at the bare minimum. Certainly was at Toledo.

Archived