2023 Free Agency thread

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

What about Jordan poyer?

He's 31 or 32 years old. Doesn't fit the Bengals free agency strategy of late but at this point, I'd think all options are on the table.

I don't see them wanting to go with a rookie starter and Tycen Anderson seems way too risky to bet on. They almost have to sign a starter in FA and there are not that many of them out there. 

23 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And spend what amount of money? 

And will the replacement(s) be too old/too limited/etc.? 

Dog chases tail. The Bengals have seen this movie before: win for a year or two, have half their good players be sold off, then wander around for 2-3 years while draft picks get sorted out. 

Walk up to the line of success but never cross over it.

Losing these guys and not signing other quality FAs (yet) simply adds more money to the Joe Burrow Go Fund Me pot in MikeandKatie's office.

Personally speaking, sign Tee to an extension and all is forgiven.  I want to wear my proactive 5 Higgins jersey more than one year after two years

of odd looks and one "that's his old Clemson jersey, right?".

Dax Hill is a free safety, not a strong safety. Bengals used him as an emergency CB a little bit last year.

Bell made 6 mil last season and was in line for a raise. Maybe Panthers are paying 12 mil or something like that. I'd have gone up to 10 to keep him. 

This is a weak draft class at safety. Someone will likely take Brian Branch in round 1 but that might be a reach. Bengals need a vet to replace Bell with Anderson as the backup. And should probably draft a safety late to backup Hill in addition to Thomas. 

Getting Pratt for 7 mil per year might mean we get Wilson on an extension for a reasonable number. Something like 10 mil per year. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Do we know what Carolina paid?  You knew some players were going to go.  Happens to every team.  We'll see how they backfill the spot.

Does it really matter what CAR paid? Yes, people come and go. Bolded section sounds about right. 

It's not eeyore to recognize the yawning gap in the middle of the secondary. Of course there is "hope"; but presently a second-year SS/FS/Whatever He is--who only had spot duty, a late-round MAC second-year somebody--who never played, some reach in the draft, or an overpaid 2nd-tier FA, is not really comforting or encouraging. 

And literally no answers for the offensive line to boot. 

But by golly, the Bengals will have the highest paid QB in NFL History (until the next one who is). 

End of Day 1 (tampering day):

Nobody. 

Day 1 (tampering day) Excuses:

"It's just the first day"

"Too much money to spend. Have to save for QB and WR2"

"Plenty of people left"

"Can't spend what we want to...have to save for QB and WR2"

"The Draft...we can't forget about the Draft"  

"Why the panic?"

"Didn't need them anyway"

"Glad we have X over Y"

”Lou can make anybody great”

”No problem..CJ left, and they replaced him..”

19 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Nobody. 

"Plenty of people left"

"Why the panic?"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

We all knew Bates was gone and ATL really overpaid for him. Bell leaving was a surprise to most fans. Losing both safeties in the same year isn't ideal, especially with only a second year player waiting in the wings to play FS. I'm not overly concerned though. I liked Bell. Hard hitter and good tackler but not great in coverage. Hopefully the Bengals can find an adequate FA to replace him. Re-signing Pratt was also a surprise to most fans. I'm thrilled about this. Given the choice, I take Pratt over Bell all day long.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

We all knew Bates was gone and ATL really overpaid for him. Bell leaving was a surprise to most fans. Losing both safeties in the same year isn't ideal, especially with only a second year player waiting in the wings to play FS. I'm not overly concerned though. I liked Bell. Hard hitter and good tackler but not great in coverage. Hopefully the Bengals can find an adequate FA to replace him. Re-signing Pratt was also a surprise to most fans. I'm thrilled about this. Given the choice, I take Pratt over Bell all day long.

That seems nuts to me. Bell was good in coverage last year and the year before. Bell is the brains in our secondary and more valuable than Pratt. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Nobody. 

"Plenty of people left"

"Why the panic?"

"Didn't need them anyway"

"Glad we have X over Y"

”Lou can make anybody great”

Pratt is not nobody, most of us didn't expect him to stay.

We know we have a lot of our home grown talent that is going to get this money, anyone expecting big signings outside of our own guys isn't paying attention. 

It's not "didn't need him anyway" its "did we have the money for it"

$7.5M per year for Vonn Bell seems very reasonable. Surprised they are taking the risk of letting him go if that is all it took to match Carolina.

That being said, will wait and see where it all ends up. They held to their number last offseason and let CJ Uzomah walk. Hayden Hurst ended up being just as good and cost less than half as much. Maybe they can pull something similar off at Safety this year. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Hyperbole 

But you just got done saying “did we have the money for it”? 

Where is it all going then? Every last pundit has stated—including the internet variety here—that nothing happens until #9 gets his. 

Archived