2023 Free Agency thread

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I remember people being upset when they let Carl Lawson go, hell I was bothered they let WJ3 go.

Both were the right decisions.

Maybe the Bengals finally should be given at least a little bit of the benefit of the doubt? 

lol .... nahhh. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Let’s have your excuses first…whitewashing is much more enjoyable 

What that Perine is a mid level player that can be replaced?

If you think otherwise I'm not sure what to say to you.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

They were 

lol didnt say they werent the right things to do, but 2 rights dont equal what they havent done right.over all the years.   for starters they let whitworth walk.  but i will totally agree letting WJ3 and Lawson go  was the right thing to do. 

1 minute ago, stryker57 said:

lol didnt say they werent the right things to do, but 2 rights dont equal what they havent done right.over all the years.   for starters they let whitworth walk.  but i will totally agree letting WJ3 and Lawson go  was the right thing to do. 

You have to look at this within the scope of the Zack Taylor era

IMHO they have changed how they go about their business since then.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You have to look at this within the scope of the Zack Taylor era

IMHO they have changed how they go about their business since then.

nah i cant narrow it to "just an era" but i do support your desire to.  lol i love my bengals but been burnt too many times to just start giving the benefit of anything, but in the spirit of new times, i will go as far as you did ask in the original post, and give them a "little" benefit. 

2 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

nah i cant narrow it to "just an era" but i do support your desire to.  lol i love my bengals but been burnt too many times to just start giving the benefit of anything, but in the spirit of new times, i will go as far as you did ask in the original post, and give them a "little" benefit. 

Totally fair, not asking for anyone to completely flip on it, but to give at least a little benefit. I do think they have earned that.

Here are some potential additions who are still available that I find interesting:

OT

Jermaine Eluemunor

Cameron Fleming

S

Julian Love

Taylor Rapp

Juan Thornhill

Jordan Poyer

Donovan Wilson

CB

Marcus Peters

Sean Murphy-Bunting

Rock Ya-Sin

Byron Murphy

Eli Apple

TE

Hayden Hurst

Dalton Schultz

RB

Jamaal Williams

Kareem Hunt

The waters are murky right now with little understanding by us fans as to the current plan. Adding some of these players could lessen the reliance on the upcoming draft and hopefully solidify some of our current starters. Let's see what happens.

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He's 34 and signed up for back up money,  2 years/ 5 million. He's not good, he's an adequate backup.  

There's literally no reason to have 34 year old average at best oline on your team when you could have a younger guy that has the potential to get better. 

No one thinks Beachum is better than Jonah or Collins, the salary difference between them proves this. If Beachum is so good why did sign for less than what both Collins and Williams make?

Normally the better players get paid more than the guys who aren't as good...

He certainly signed cheap but he's been the starter there for several years and is likely to be their starter in 2023 as well. Both Williams and Collins were below average tackles last year in pass protection. That's the most important thing for a Bengals tackle and we should be looking for upgrades. I'd like to trade up in the draft to get Paris Johnson as Jonah's replacement. I think Carman could maybe be a legit long term starter at RT but would need to see more from him.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Here are some potential additions who are still available that I find interesting:

OT

Jermaine Eluemunor

Cameron Fleming

S

Julian Love

Taylor Rapp

Juan Thornhill

Jordan Poyer

Donovan Wilson

CB

Marcus Peters

Sean Murphy-Bunting

Rock Ya-Sin

Byron Murphy

Eli Apple

TE

Hayden Hurst

Dalton Schultz

RB

Jamaal Williams

Kareem Hunt

The waters are murky right now with little understanding by us fans as to the current plan. Adding some of these players could lessen the reliance on the upcoming draft and hopefully solidify some of our current starters. Let's see what happens.

Nice list. Donovan Wilson and Byron Murphy have signed elsewhere. 

There are a few other names at both RB and TE I'd be fine with:

RB

Miles Sanders

Devin Singletary

Damien Harris

D'Onta Foreman

Alexander Mattison

TE

Foster Moreau

Mike Gesicki

Austin Hooper

Irv Smith Jr. 

Yes. I just saw Byron Murphy went to the Vikings and totally missed Wilson resigning with the Cowboys earlier. Oddly, they were my least favourite options on my list at the two positions.

I’m seeing a lot of Eagles fans speculating the CJ Gardner-Johnson is coming to Cincinnati. Not sure where these feelings are coming from. No one of any credibility has reported this but, it seems to be in the heads of many PHI fans. I didn’t put him on my list as I didn’t see him as a realistic option. Maybe I’m wrong.

I like some of the players on your list, too. My only one I’m not keen on is Singletary. He pass protects about as well as Mixon.

14 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I’m seeing a lot of Eagles fans speculating the CJ Gardner-Johnson is coming to Cincinnati. 

That would be amazing if true. But the Bengals can't give him a Bates type deal, so he would have to give us a 'Lombardi with Shiesty' discount. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

What that Perine is a mid level player that can be replaced?

If you think otherwise I'm not sure what to say to you.

You're not wrong but how many pro-ready starting caliber players do you think they're going to get in the draft, even if they're average ones?  Two would be great, usually it's one at best and even they take time to get up to speed. Maybe 3-4 end up being solid down the road but we're talking about 2023.

3 hours ago, stryker57 said:

Days gone by..

New organization with Blackburn women in charge.

Expect some unecpected for the good..

Believe that...

22 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Running ability is very good.

Pass catching is in diubt since thy never threw to him _ (12 catches

Pass blocking no clue..

Check him out throughly..

Solid pass blocking

Here are the top RBs left if we decided to cut Mixon

Age ELU Overall Running Receiving Pass Block Snaps Starts 2022/Career Stats  
Murray-Broncos 33 35.9 82.5 86 65.6 43.6 447 7/76 171-760-4,4-6; 27-132-0 6'3 230
Singletary-Bills 26 54.5 78.6 85.1 58.5 73.2 786 16/56 177-819-4.6-5, 38-280-1 5'7 203
Harris-Patriots 26 34.7 75.8 77.9 55.7 69.2 238 9/34 106-462-4.4-3; 17-97-0 5'11 213
Williams-Lions 28 32.5 73.5 75.6 39.7 72.3 459 9/40 262-1066-4.1-17; 12-73-0 6'0 225
Foreman-Panthers 27 56.4 73.1 76.5 52.4 14.8 354 9/13 203-914-4.5; 5-26 6'0 235
Mattison-Vikings 25 85.8 71.5 84.2 43.4 61.4 304 0/6 74-283-3.8-5; 15-91-1 5'11 215
Fournette-Bucs 28 30.8 68 79.2 78.8 34.2 689 9/61 189-668-3; 73-523-3 CC
Hunt-Browns 28 62.6 67 67.4 66.4 54.6 491 0/36 123-468-3.8-3; 35-210-1 5'11 216

At this point, somebody like Jamaal Williams for less than $5M a year (preferably much less) makes a ton of sense. Bit more well-rounded than Mixon and you save some money. 

But a middling vet like that still means you need to spend a relatively early pick on a RB in the draft too if, as the Bengals stated multiple times at the combine, they want to have more explosive runs. 

38 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Solid pass blocking

Here are the top RBs left if we decided to cut Mixon

Age ELU Overall Running Receiving Pass Block Snaps Starts 2022/Career Stats  
Murray-Broncos 33 35.9 82.5 86 65.6 43.6 447 7/76 171-760-4,4-6; 27-132-0 6'3 230
Singletary-Bills 26 54.5 78.6 85.1 58.5 73.2 786 16/56 177-819-4.6-5, 38-280-1 5'7 203
Harris-Patriots 26 34.7 75.8 77.9 55.7 69.2 238 9/34 106-462-4.4-3; 17-97-0 5'11 213
Williams-Lions 28 32.5 73.5 75.6 39.7 72.3 459 9/40 262-1066-4.1-17; 12-73-0 6'0 225
Foreman-Panthers 27 56.4 73.1 76.5 52.4 14.8 354 9/13 203-914-4.5; 5-26 6'0 235
Mattison-Vikings 25 85.8 71.5 84.2 43.4 61.4 304 0/6 74-283-3.8-5; 15-91-1 5'11 215
Fournette-Bucs 28 30.8 68 79.2 78.8 34.2 689 9/61 189-668-3; 73-523-3 CC
Hunt-Browns 28 62.6 67 67.4 66.4 54.6 491 0/36 123-468-3.8-3; 35-210-1 5'11 216

Hunt would fit in a combo  backfield.

Pair him with Mixon( if they decide to keep him)..

He could provide 225 carries without Mixon..

Find a 125 carry back and they're good..

OR draft Robinson abd be done with all worries back there.. 

5 hours ago, happyrid said:

At this point, somebody like Jamaal Williams for less than $5M a year (preferably much less) makes a ton of sense. Bit more well-rounded than Mixon and you save some money. 

But a middling vet like that still means you need to spend a relatively early pick on a RB in the draft too if, as the Bengals stated multiple times at the combine, they want to have more explosive runs. 

Jahmyr Gibbs?

6 hours ago, happyrid said:

You can find an explosive RB on day 3 of the draft, the Chiefs drafted Pachecko in the 7th round and was the starter on there Superbowl winning team.

I think Mixon plays out his contract, if this legal situation doesn't blow up on him...which it probably will considering the parties involved, but if not we can find a replacement. 

I would love to see Chris Evans or Tray Williams get an opportunity, these guys have been good soldiers so why not give them an opportunity. 

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You're not wrong but how many pro-ready starting caliber players do you think they're going to get in the draft, even if they're average ones?  Two would be great, usually it's one at best and even they take time to get up to speed. Maybe 3-4 end up being solid down the road but we're talking about 2023.

At this point there probably isnt one that will come in as the 3rd down back, but having Perine was a luxury, we will likely replace him in the draft. It's a pretty nice spot to be in when we are worried about how to replace our mid-range 3rd down running back.

That's the thing about all this, we are not going to keep everyone, what we want is to try to keep our best players and only be in a position where we are talking about replacing guys like Perine.

Of course keeping, every single one of our best players will be tough too, but that's the reality of being a good team. What the team has to do well now is find guys that can contribute at a high level, like Eli Apple who was a scrap heap player who came in and made the most of it and is playing at a high level and is cheap. We are also going to have to be good at the draft especially drafting at the bottom of the rounds now.  That's where we are going to have to get better at to sustain success and not be drafting in the top 10 again. We shall see how they manage that.

Archived