2023 Free Agency thread

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I think we all knew that the TE and RB rooms were both going to be getting a full makeover this off-season. 

Yeah, but maybe not intentionally.

Paul Dehner says he doesn't think the Bengals Plan A with free agency is working out as they had hoped thus far. I agree with that. Guess we will have to see what Plan B is.

35 minutes ago, dex said:

Paul Dehner says he doesn't think the Bengals Plan A with free agency is working out as they had hoped thus far. I agree with that. Guess we will have to see what Plan B is.

I think they would have welcomed back Hurst on a one year deal, wasn’t meant to be though. We knew Bates was gone. Perine…who cares? Bell was a blow but you can’t assume he wanted to stay here. Certainly no one irreplaceable. 

1 minute ago, westside bengal said:

How is that "everyone wants to stay with Joe and win championships" plan working out?

Pratt is still saying it.

I think these Bengals players are after 2 things, but not necessarily in this order. 1) Stay with Joe and try to win championships. 2) Get the best contract possible.

Pratt got both.

I just logged to say this Bengal free agency thing is like reading the obituaries.

Who's next that I know?

Now Tormund Giantsbane.

IMHO the rest of the NFL smells we are going to break the bank to pay Joe Burrow

and are picking off our good player free agents  because we can't afford to keep them.

Yet we still are stuck with Joe Sixgun and Lilly Collins.

Tee's next.  After this year.

41 minutes ago, dex said:

Hurst to the Panthers on a 3 year deal.

Bummer, dude was clutch and still improving. Another position group along with OT, RB & safety that's now running on empty.

Expecting rookies to fill all these gaps won't get it done.

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I just logged to say this Bengal free agency thing is like reading the obituaries.

Who's next that I know?

Now Tormund Giantsbane.

IMHO the rest of the NFL smells we are going to break the bank to pay Joe Burrow

and are picking off our good player free agents  because we can't afford to keep them.

Tee's next.  After this year.

I like Hurst but lets not overplay how good he is. 

Today is the first official day of FA and by some reactions here you'd think the Bengals are punting on next season and going into a full blown rebuild. Funny as hell to be honest. By my count, we've lost exactly 1 FA that was perceived as someone the Bengals would prefer to keep and at arguably the least valuable position on defense. After spending a ton of money the last few years on FA, now apparently their contract structuring doesn't work and actually nobody in fact wants to play with Joe Burrow. Also he's selfish and wants to be the highest paid player on a contract that doesn't exist yet.  

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Feel that. Guys that actually contributed are getting poached while we hang on to the most overpriced and easily replaceable ones. 

Even assuming an A+ draft it's hard to convice myself the roster talent level isn't taking a significant hit this year.

1 hour ago, dex said:

What was their plan? Sit back and do nothing,while everyone signs with other teams? Other than last year,that's what they normally do.

8 minutes ago, stan said:

What was their plan? Sit back and do nothing,while everyone signs with other teams? Other than last year,that's what they normally do.

Yeah that's what I was thinking when reading this.  Does he know what Plan A was?  Keeping Bell maybe?  Are there players from other teams the Bengals clearly wanted who signed elsewhere?  I'm genuinely asking, I haven't seen evidence that the Bengals "lost out" on anybody except maybe Bell, and perhaps Perine?  

6 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking when reading this.  Does he know what Plan A was?  Keeping Bell maybe?  Are there players from other teams the Bengals clearly wanted who signed elsewhere?  I'm genuinely asking, I haven't seen evidence that the Bengals "lost out" on anybody except maybe Bell, and perhaps Perine?  

The general belief is that they wanted Bell/Perine/Hurst all back...but only at a certain price. Those players were valued more by other teams than they were by Cincinnati. 

5 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

We had a backup ready to go for Bates and Pratt. 

We didn't have one for Hurst or Bell or Perine. 

It's odd that we kept Pratt and not Hurst or Bell or Perine. 

BUT Pratt had an incredible year last year and came cheap. 

I honestly believe Williams is going to do what Perine was able to do for us.

Aside from Bates, who we all knew was leaving, the Bengals have lost relatively average to below average players thus far. And when I say lost, they might have planned and/or assumed these players would be leaving. We feel we "lost" them.

As we all surmise, Bell may have been the biggest surprise. I am very much on the "not panicked" end of the scale of what I am seeing as a reaction from Bengals fans but, I do have one concern.

The guys they are losing seem to be leadership types including one captain (Bell). I found Hurst, Bates, Bell and Perine all seemed to be popular players within the team and looked at as energy guys and/or leaders. That can be as hard to replace as talent. 

Archived