2023 Free Agency thread

26 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cowboys-release-ezekiel-elliott-seven-seasons-dallas

Cowboys release Ezekiel Elliott after seven seasons in Dallas

Name recognition in Cincinnati?  Better than Joe Sixgun?  One year deal?  If reasonable... The Bengals need to do something to ease the pain of the home folk after losing Hurst and Vonn Bell who were liked by the fans.  Worth a thought, if reasonable.

The Clyde E-H idea is intriguing... jump on it if he is cut.  But Zeke... would fill some seats and could not do any worse than Joe Mixup.

Carry on :popcorn:

Pass.

Kansas City/Philly/San Fran have all lost key free agents...but in most cases they have already made shrewd signings to cover those loses. KC and Philadelphia have the 2 best GMs in the NFL. No wonder they were in the Super Bowl and are early faves to return. Gotta give them credit, they always have a plan.

RB Market starting to dry up. Here's the guys left who I think would be fits:

Kareem Hunt

Damien Harris

Ezekiel Elliott

Devin Singletary

Alexander Mattison

I'd be fine with any of these guys. Mattison is the youngest at 25 and has always looked really good whenever Dalvin Cook was out. 

Zeke is a really good pass blocker and solid veteran. A bonus of going with him is that it wouldn't impact the comp picks. While I know comp picks 14 months from now are hard to care about, it would be really nice to finally have a draft with 10 or so picks. Can't even remember the last time we had a comp pick. 2020 maybe?

13 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

You can find an explosive RB on day 3 of the draft, the Chiefs drafted Pachecko in the 7th round and was the starter on there Superbowl winning team.

I think Mixon plays out his contract, if this legal situation doesn't blow up on him...which it probably will considering the parties involved, but if not we can find a replacement. 

I would love to see Chris Evans or Tray Williams get an opportunity, these guys have been good soldiers so why not give them an opportunity. 

I could see Day 3 but it probably makes more sense to grab one in the 2nd or 3rd round if we cut Mixon.

While you can definitely point to a decent number of late-round RBs that have panned out, the hit rate is really low. Most of last year's 6th and 7th rounders didn't even make their team (Tyle Badier, Brittain Brown, etc.) with Pacheco the only one who actually made any impact at all. 

We've seen that here. Chris Evans and Trayveon Williams were not good enough to make an instant impact, which is what we are going to need this year. 

31 minutes ago, dex said:

Kansas City/Philly/San Fran have all lost key free agents...but in most cases they have already made shrewd signings to cover those loses. KC and Philadelphia have the 2 best GMs in the NFL. No wonder they were in the Super Bowl and are early faves to return. Gotta give them credit, they always have a plan.

I'm not going to disagree with the quality of the GMs you reference but the Eagles are getting stripped on defense. They look like they're going to lose six of eleven starters from last year including three of four from their secondary, two linebackers and their anchor on the defensive line. They've replaced none of these players. They also "traded" Miles Sanders for Rashaad Penny, a downgrade in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Jamaal Williams going to the Saints on a three year deal at only $12 million with $8 million guaranteed seems like a missed opportunity.

I’m not sure I loved that fit for us.  He’s not a shifty or extremely explosive back.  He had a ton of goalline TDs, but I don’t know that that’s a special skill.  I know we can’t count on the draft, but I don’t think Jamaal Williams was a great option for us.  I have no idea about his pass blocking or receiving abilities admittedly.  

19 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

I hope they're not too rigid with this philosophy.  I mean, value is somewhat subjective based on need. It's not overpaying if your needs are met spectacularly. We're screwed if they're not planning on "overpaying" for any of the glaring needs. 

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

As proof that good teams lose their players after going deep in the playoffs, because other front offices want some of that winning magic ...

Let's look at the final 4 teams last season (their FAs and departures thus far)

IMG_20230315_235254.jpg

IMG_20230315_235315.jpg

IMG_20230315_235304.jpg

IMG_20230315_235325.jpg

Wow look at all those quality OT's going to other teams..

HAHA what a bunch of losers!  

37m3pe.jpg

53 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I’m not sure I loved that fit for us.  He’s not a shifty or extremely explosive back.  He had a ton of goalline TDs, but I don’t know that that’s a special skill.  I know we can’t count on the draft, but I don’t think Jamaal Williams was a great option for us.  I have no idea about his pass blocking or receiving abilities admittedly.  

I didn’t see him as the #1 RB. I saw him as a replacement for Perine essentially. Top level pass blocker, great short yardage, enough speed and can catch out of the backfield. He’s also a super passionate player and a popular locker room guy. Also good enough to be #1 in the case of injury. I just feel for the price he would have been a nice addition.

6 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I didn’t see him as the #1 RB. I saw him as a replacement for Perine essentially. Top level pass blocker, great short yardage, enough speed and can catch out of the backfield. He’s also a super passionate player and a popular locker room guy. Also good enough to be #1 in the case of injury. I just feel for the price he would have been a nice addition.

I liked him for the Perine role too. $4M per on a 3-year deal isn't anything too crazy and I wouldn't have hated the Bengals going that high. But he also turns 28 years old in April. So you'd be getting his age 28, 29, and 30 seasons. Not too big a deal for most positions but RBs get old fast. Williams is actually older than Zeke. 

12 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

I'm not going to try to put sprinkles on a pile of dog shit and call it a cupcake. I don't see any positives from what's happening, but what the hell do I know?

Depressing.

I kind of get where you are coming from but if you're going to grade their free agency, the only reasonable grade to give right now is incomplete. 

I think they have something in the neighborhood of $20M to play around with still. 

1. They need to sign a starter at Safety.

2. They need to sign a starter at Tight End.

3. They need to sign a committee guy at RB who can play 50% of snaps.

4. They need to sign a possible starter at RT.

That's a lot to get done given their realistic budget. Especially if you hope to have some left over for depth at CB or DT. It shouldn't be a surprise that they are playing hardball and not paying $7 or $8M per year for guys like Hurst. 

There's still plenty of good players out there and the longer they are on the market, the more likely it is that the Bengals can get them at a good number that lets them cross off all four of their big remaining needs with solid guys. 

Archived