2023 Free Agency thread

34 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

6 year old Daughter asked for a story last night before bed. I started the game of thrones story taking out obvious parts. She is loving it. We are just at when Ned tells Cersei he knows. She had lots of questions about how Robert wasn't actually Joffreys dad. 

Good dad you are. 

I found "Chronicles of Narnia" to be equally compelling for the young ones. 

11 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good points on Hurst..

At his age (29) Id presume he'll

test the market ..

He fit well here but just an average TE..

3yrs 20mil..

If he gets better offer then so be it.

I

My day job is as a counselor. I dont think there is anyway he leaves. He will want to get paid for sure. But this was a guy who was depressed and suicidal. Was at two spots and miserable. Came here and LOVED it. I have never had the opportunity to turn down millions but I would assume this is a guy who will be content leaving some on the table to win and feel supported and part of a community. 

18 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good points on Hurst..

At his age (29) Id presume he'll

test the market ..

He fit well here but just an average TE..

3yrs 20mil..

If he gets better offer then so be it.

I

Is his replacement on the roster? Unless they are, you are asking a productive part of the offense to take just a continuation of what he came here for. 

Even if you weren't giving St. Joseph every dime in the kitty, how much would you think the Bengals would have to spend to get even a break-even TE on the market--basically starting all over again. 

And, if you are going to say the draft: how long will it take for that still-unknown commodity to get up to "average TE" level? 

54 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Is his replacement on the roster? Unless they are, you are asking a productive part of the offense to take just a continuation of what he came here for. 

Even if you weren't giving St. Joseph every dime in the kitty, how much would you think the Bengals would have to spend to get even a break-even TE on the market--basically starting all over again. 

And, if you are going to say the draft: how long will it take for that still-unknown commodity to get up to "average TE" level? 

Good points..

Im saying if his demand is not

what the team deems appropriate he'll move on..

Kinda up to him..

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Depends on.what TE they draft..

I want Hurst back as well but he could leave..

Love Hurst...love his effort...love his enthusiasm...love his competitive spirit...love that he loves being here.  I'm guessing he is well loved in the locker room too.  We need to find a way to keep him IMHO.  It's not just about money, there is something to be said for "fit".

I just realized I prolly used the word love excessively here...oh well...sue me.

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

Love Hurst...love his effort...love his enthusiasm...love his competitive spirit...love that he loves being here.  I'm guessing he is well loved in the locker room too.  We need to find a way to keep him IMHO.  It's not just about money, there is something to be said for "fit".

I just realized I prolly used the word love excessively here...oh well...sue me.

I just loved your post

I want Hurst back, I think the team wants him back, and I think he wants to come back.  It’s likely to happen and we probably won’t have to pay significantly more than he made last year ($3.5) given his role and production.  That said, he’s not going to be better than 4th option next year and the offense didn’t suffer much when he missed time (3 games plus most of the KC game).  If someone blows him away with an offer, I’d let him leave rather than overpay.  We have bigger fish to fry with Higgins and Chase.  

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

If anyone is willing to take a team-friendly deal it's him, he talks like the Bengals saved his career.  That might even be a direct quote IIRC.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That said, he’s not going to be better than 4th option next year and the offense didn’t suffer much when he missed time (3 games plus most of the KC game).  If someone blows him away with an offer, I’d let him leave rather than overpay.  We have bigger fish to fry with Higgins and Chase.  

I think he could be a bigger piece on 3rd down or goal to go plays.  He still has room to grow in this offense.

21 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I want Hurst back, I think the team wants him back, and I think he wants to come back.  It’s likely to happen and we probably won’t have to pay significantly more than he made last year ($3.5) given his role and production.  That said, he’s not going to be better than 4th option next year and the offense didn’t suffer much when he missed time (3 games plus most of the KC game).  If someone blows him away with an offer, I’d let him leave rather than overpay.  We have bigger fish to fry with Higgins and Chase.  

The 3.5 mil was a "prove it" deal. He proved it so he'll get more on his next deal. Probably at least 6 mil per year, maybe more than 8. Bengals should make him a fair offer and get it done before UFA starts. I'd bet 7 mil per year gets it done. Likewise they should get Vonn Bell extended asap. Pratt and Apple probably want to see what else might be out there before re-signing. I'd guess Pratt gets a good offer somewhere else and perhaps Apple too. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The 3.5 mil was a "prove it" deal. He proved it so he'll get more on his next deal. Probably at least 6 mil per year, maybe more than 8. Bengals should make him a fair offer and get it done before UFA starts. I'd bet 7 mil per year gets it done. Likewise they should get Vonn Bell extended asap. Pratt and Apple probably want to see what else might be out there before re-signing. I'd guess Pratt gets a good offer somewhere else and perhaps Apple too. 

I think Apple stays, he said he loves it here, and I think he's kind of hurt himself around the league.  He signed a 1 year 3.7 million deal last year, I think you can sign him for another 1 year 5 million deal.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I think Apple stays, he said he loves it here, and I think he's kind of hurt himself around the league.  He signed a 1 year 3.7 million deal last year, I think you can sign him for another 1 year 5 million deal.

Agree..

I also commented Hurst signing for

3yrs 20mil..

I now think he would sign a  3yr 4mil per deal..

Apple could and should take the 1yr 5mil deal..

Like you mentioned his stock in the NFL is low.

Plus every team needs at least one clown...😎

As we go into the offseason and unfortunately have to let some guys go, let's remember the right non-signings we did over the past few years.

WJ3 failed in Washington and is now on the Steelers.

There is now some talk about Carl Lawson being cut to save cap money.

Both guys we were convinced would hurt if we lost them (myself included on WJ3)

I may be crazy, but I think we should sign Apple to a multi year deal if we can.  We'll need him to start next year most likely, then once Chido comes back, he's excellent boundary CB depth.  Chido is up next year I think so we'd at least have Apple waiting if we can't upgrade.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

I may be crazy, but I think we should sign Apple to a multi year deal if we can.  We'll need him to start next year most likely, then once Chido comes back, he's excellent boundary CB depth.  Chido is up next year I think so we'd at least have Apple waiting if we can't upgrade.

Honestly, I don't think that's crazy. He's 27, I'd give him a 3 year team-friendly deal, that gives us 2 CBs signed longer than 1 year and gives us time to get the Oline fixed and time to get a long-term replacement for Chido and him.

Maybe it's been asked and answered but:

Just where is this franchise going to get any extra money (short of the vet minimum levels) to spend on outside FA's? 

I keep hearing "cut this guy/cut that guy...save money.." but for who are you spending it on? All I keep seeing is Higgins, The the rest is "saving for X (Chase)". 

Of course, all is dependent on what His Holiness is going to get. 

Basically, it's back to "cut this guy/cut that guy and get a bunch of draftee-level contracts". 

Dan Levy Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Archived