2023 Free Agency thread

51 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Jackson Carman has finally seemed to settle into his natural—and only—position at LT…and the fiddlers immediately figure he would be just fine on the opposite side. 

Leave him be. 

image.jpeg.2c7f2d91a6bdaf9740ae9a4b2d362313.jpeg

Its the Addeniji syndrome.

Ive wondered where HA gets his reps weekly...

Hopefully Carman wont be used as such..

I believe they're looking for Carman to take a step forward in his desire to step up to their exoectations..

Up to him this offseason..

QB Brandon Allen - probably bring him back, nut there would be at least one guy to challenge him

CB Eli Apple - I'm pretty meh about him.  I'd look at a vet FA &/or 2nd or 3rd round picks

S Jessie Bates III - he gone

S Vonn Bell  - I'd try to bring him back, but on a team-friendly deal

CB Jalen Davis . fungible

CB Tre Flowers - reports are he'll be getting more than he's worth to the Bengals.  GFone

LS Clark Harris - Adomitis'd

TE Hayden Hurst - Damn I want him back but he'd have to work with the team.  I'd still add a TE2.  Wilcox is fine @TE3

RB Samaje Perine - I'm chopping Mixon so unless his demand is outrageous he's back as RB2. Looking 3rd-Rd+ pick or vet FA for RB1

LB Germaine Pratt - Gone for reasons mentioned by others here 

TE Drew Sample - Fungible.  Gone.

G Max Scharping - meh.  If he takes what's offered

WR Trent Taylor - ditto

S Michael Thomas - same

RB Trayveon Williams - (see Sharping/Thomas/Taylor)

Restricted - all back if at team prices

LS Adomitis (already back)

LB Bachie

LB Johnston 

TE -Wilcox

I want Joe, Ja'Marr & Tee all extended, but if they don't see that as doable, I deal Tee now and concentrate of the the other two.

I agree that Chrisman's job is not unassailable but I'd look to Free Agency (vet or rookie) for his competition.

2 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Ideally my tackle next year would be Carman, a vet OT, a 1-3 Rd draft pick and Adeniji (and I'd still look for a versatile mid-round G/T pick.  Unfortunately Williams is likely back.

How about Carman at LT and Williams at RT?

Too much to ask of Williams?

10 minutes ago, snarkster said:

QB Brandon Allen - probably bring him back, nut there would be at least one guy to challenge him

CB Eli Apple - I'm pretty meh about him.  I'd look at a vet FA &/or 2nd or 3rd round picks

CB Tre Flowers - reports are he'll be getting more than he's worth to the Bengals.  GFone

TE Hayden Hurst - Damn I want him back but he'd have to work with the team.  I'd still add a TE2.  Wilcox is fine @TE3

RB Samaje Perine - I'm chopping Mixon so unless his demand is outrageous he's back as RB2. Looking 3rd-Rd+ pick or vet FA for RB1

WR Trent Taylor - ditto

S Michael Thomas - same

LB Bachie

LB Johnston 

TE -Wilcox

I want Joe, Ja'Marr & Tee all extended, but if they don't see that as doable, I deal Tee now and concentrate of the the other two.

I agree that Chrisman's job is not unassailable but I'd look to Free Agency (vet or rookie) for his competition.

Apple, Perine, Treyveon Williams. And Hurst 

wont require alot of salary space and fit the program..

Bring them back..

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Rams released Bobby Wagner

piggybacking off this...

Rams, Bobby Wagner mutually agree to part ways, per report: Top landing spots for 8-time Pro Bowl LB - CBSSports.com

1. Cincinnati Bengals

Wagner wants to play for a title contending team, and the Bengals are coming off consecutive AFC title game appearances. Cincinnati, led by Pro Bowl quarterback Joe Burrow, is expected to contend for a Super Bowl again in 2023. Wagner would serve as the perfect replacement for Germaine Pratt, who is expected to depart in free agency. 

Money is the biggest roadblock between Wagner possibly signing with Cincinnati. The Bengals have cap space, but they expect to use most of it on re-signing Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase and (down the road) Tee Higgins. Wagner would have to take considerably less than his market value in order for this to happen. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

A later rounds pick, who somehow has stuck around to be valuable enough—in the opinions of the people whose opinions matter (coaches)—to be a top backup along the line. 

Agree...

I said he's not a starter.

He's a backup....a spare tire..😎

21 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

True..

Doesn't mean he has to start at LT though..

Since his 12.5 mil is guaranteed could they still trade him ?

Yes, he can be traded and the cap hit would move to his next team. But who would trade for him and who would replace him? There are some teams with worse O-line situations than the Bengals but they're probably looking to free agency or the draft before the trade market. And do the Bengals want Carman guarding Joe's blindside fulltime? 

40 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, he can be traded and the cap hit would move to his next team. But who would trade for him and who would replace him? There are some teams with worse O-line situations than the Bengals but they're probably looking to free agency or the draft before the trade market. And do the Bengals want Carman guarding Joe's blindside fulltime? 

Good points..

"Who would trade for him and who would replace him?"

So noone would and we cant?

Jonah been here long enough to realize he's an under average injury prone LT .

Carman may or may not be the answer but Jonah surely is not.

Agreed that Jonah isn't the long-term answer. But Carman likely isn't either or at least they shouldn't gamble that he isn't. 

If the team stands pat, we'll see Williams at LT and either Carman or Adeniji at RT until Collins returns. 

I think we can get by for a couple of years with the Collins/Carman combo at RT. But we shouldn't extend or tag Jonah after this season, so this year's draft would be a good time to find his heir and give them some playing time before taking over the LT position full time. But the draft looks better for RTs than LTs this year. 

It’s Russian Roulette (again) moving Carman anywhere other than his natural LT. As I recall, his brief try at RG was a disaster..so one spot over may be just as difficult for him to master. 

Collins’ status may necessitate some gambling on the position, and I may be underestimating his newfound commitment to excellence, but he looked quite at home at LT. 

On 2/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, snarkster said:

WR Trent Taylor - ditto

S Michael Thomas - same

LB Bachie

LB Johnston 

TE -Wilcox

Why is everyone looking for another rb,if they cut Mixon.What is wrong with giving Chris Evans, a chance to take the job?

9 hours ago, Griever said:

piggybacking off this...

Rams, Bobby Wagner mutually agree to part ways, per report: Top landing spots for 8-time Pro Bowl LB - CBSSports.com

1. Cincinnati Bengals

Wagner wants to play for a title contending team, and the Bengals are coming off consecutive AFC title game appearances. Cincinnati, led by Pro Bowl quarterback Joe Burrow, is expected to contend for a Super Bowl again in 2023. Wagner would serve as the perfect replacement for Germaine Pratt, who is expected to depart in free agency. 

Money is the biggest roadblock between Wagner possibly signing with Cincinnati. The Bengals have cap space, but they expect to use most of it on re-signing Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase and (down the road) Tee Higgins. Wagner would have to take considerably less than his market value in order for this to happen. 

Wagner taking considerably less than market value,to sign with the Bengals.That's not happening.

Archived