2023 NFL Draft thread

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

AH, so your issue is you are locked into o-line in the first round and if other names are discussed you are gonna diss them to fit that agenda. Got it. 

No ..you haven't got it at all.

I would be ok with a priority need but 3tech isn't one of them..

22 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I would be ok with a priority need but 3tech isn't one of them

The only way they’d ever have a shot at Kancey is by trading up into the top half of the first round. We all know that isn’t happening, so it’s all moot anyway. 

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

What's weird is pretending there is not a need at 3T. And going out of one's way to slag a likely top 15 prospect to further an agenda. 

We have BJ Hill and isnt Zach Carter being used there as well?

Like Spicoli said if he's a top 15 no shot anyway..

22 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would say that if a player (excluding QB) that was ranked top 15 on the Bengals board was there when we pick- he would be selected regardless of position. And there would be no doubt about taking him. 

Semi agree, Someone could always make a kickass trade offer.

I doubt Kancey is going in the top 15. Most mocks I've seen don't even have him in the first round, meaning he'd be available for selection at 29. But he'd be a terrible pick for us. We're not going to bench or cut Hill and we just used a day 2 pick last year on the backup. Kancey's production isn't close to Donald's. And we certainly have bigger areas of need, not all of which will be filled in free agency. 

You guys ought to sober up if you think Kancey is anywhere close to Donald. Donald had 28.5 tackles for loss his senior year with 4 fumbles forced and 3 passes defensed.

Kancey had 7 sacks, 0 fumbles forced or recovered and 0 passes defended. Not even close to the same ballpark. Just because they went to the same college doesn't make them alike. Jeez. There's a reason Donald won the Lombardi, Nagurski, Bednarik, and Outland trophies and Kancey didn't. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, Jungletiger said:

Left field take and random reminder.  I understand letting go of the disrespect card and all that, but as we get praises from analysts never forget what was said.

That aged well, didn't it?😂😂😂😂😂

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/2/19/23599419/bengals-3-round-mock-draft-cody-mauch

That means there will likely be an even bigger emphasis on the draft for Bengals fans. Chad Reuter from NFL.com gave us his first mock draft of the year.

Cody Mauch, Offensive lineman North Dakota

Mauch showed during Senior Bowl week that he could play anywhere along the offensive line. That sort of versatility would have come in handy for the Bengals during the playoffs after they lost both starting tackles (including Jonah Williams, a free agent after the 2023 season) to injury. Putting Mauch and his former Bison teammate, Cordell Volson, on the same NFL O-line does NDSU proud.

Mauch went viral for a minute on Bengals Twitter when his team picture with him missing teeth was shared as him being a former teammate of Volson. It shows off that glass-eating mentality that offensive line coach Frank Pollack looks for.

********* Second round for sure************

12 hours ago, kennethmw said:

That aged well, didn't it?😂😂😂😂😂

Most of the comments were Colin Cowherd and Dan Patrick.There was also one by Milke Golic, and someone, whose voice I didn't recognize.Patrick,Cowherd and Golic ,all worked for ESPN.They did not like the Bengals,and trashed them all the time.

8 hours ago, stan said:

Most of the comments were Colin Cowherd and Dan Patrick.There was also one by Milke Golic, and someone, whose voice I didn't recognize.Patrick,Cowherd and Golic ,all worked for ESPN.They did not like the Bengals,and trashed them all the time.

Dan Patrick is actually a Bengals fan. I think he goes over the top to avoid that appearance. 

2023 NFL Draft Consensus Big Board 3.0: Which prospects crack the top 100?

Nick Baumgardner and Austin Mock
Feb 21, 2023

The Athletic’s Consensus Big Board combines rankings from a wide range of draft experts to identify how the top prospects are viewed against the rest of the 2023 draft class. In theory, by the time we reach draft weekend, we’ll have a good handle on how the picks could (or, at least, should) fall.

For the third version of our board, Austin Mock again gives us a look at how the top 100 prospects stack up across the industry. Included in this update is the latest set of rankings from The Athletic draft expert Dane Brugler, which published on Feb. 14.

The 2023 NFL Draft Consensus Big Board, 3.0 (including each player’s average ranking across all sources):

Consensus Top-100 Big Board (Feb. 21)
  PLAYER POS. SCHOOL AVG. RANK
Will Anderson Jr.
EDGE
Jalen Carter
DT
Bryce Young
QB
C.J. Stroud
QB
Myles Murphy
EDGE
Peter Skoronski
OT
Bijan Robinson
RB
Quentin Johnston
WR
team-logo-187-50x50.pngTCU
Jordan Addison
WR
team-logo-252-50x50.pngUSC
Michael Mayer
TE
Tyree Wilson
EDGE
Paris Johnson Jr.
OT
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
WR
Joey Porter Jr.
CB
Bryan Bresee
DT
Christian Gonzalez
CB
Brian Branch
S
Cam Smith
CB
Will Levis
QB
Jahmyr Gibbs
RB
Broderick Jones
OT
Kelee Ringo
CB
Antonio Johnson
S
Isaiah Foskey
EDGE
Trenton Simpson
LB
Devon Witherspoon
CB
O'Cyrus Torrence
G
Anton Harrison
OT
B.J. Ojulari
EDGE
team-logo-267-50x50.pngLSU
Anthony Richardson
QB
Dalton Kincaid
TE
Siaki Ika
DT
Dawand Jones
OT
Nolan Smith
EDGE
Felix Anudike-Uzomah
EDGE
Josh Downs
WR
Lukas Van Ness
DT
Clark Phillips III
CB
Emmanuel Forbes
CB
Drew Sanders
LB
Zay Flowers
WR
Will McDonald IV
EDGE
Andre Carter II
EDGE
Darnell Wright
OT
John Michael Schmitz
C
Luke Musgrave
TE
Jaylin Hyatt
WR
Darnell Washington
TE
Gervon Dexter Sr.
DT
Kayshon Boutte
WR
Noah Sewell
LB
Tuli Tuipulotu
DT
Matthew Bergeron
OT
Mazi Smith
DT
Devon Achane
RB
Jordan Battle
S
Rashee Rice
WR
team-logo-158-50x50.pngSMU
Cody Mauch
OT
Calijah Kancey
DT
Zach Harrison
EDGE
Derick Hall
EDGE
Tanner McKee
QB
Jack Campbell
LB
Deonte Banks
CB
Christopher Smith II
S
Garrett Williams
CB
Tyrique Stevenson
CB
Steve Avila
OL
Henry To'o To'o
LB
Jaelyn Duncan
OT
Hendon Hooker
QB
Zach Charbonnet
RB
Keion White
DT
Kyu Blu Kelly
CB
Eli Ricks
CB
JL Skinner
S
Andrew Vorhees
G
Sam LaPorta
TE
Daiyan Henley
LB
Tucker Kraft
TE
Zach Evans
RB
Cedric Tillman
WR
Jaylon Jones
CB
Keeanu Benton
DT
Marvin Mims
WR
Blake Freeland
OT
team-logo-217-50x50.pngBYU
Adetomiwa Adebawore
EDGE
Nathaniel Dell
WR
Jaquelin Roy
DT
Dontayvion Wicks
WR
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson
CB
Zacch Pickens
DT
Brandon Joseph
S
Sean Tucker
RB
Luke Wypler
C
Sydney Brown
S
Tyler Steen
OT
Parker Washington
WR
Tank Bigsby
RB
Mekhi Garner
CB

Thoughts from The Athletic draft analyst Nick Baumgardner on the updated consensus board:

The biggest risers in the top 75:

A few things here: One, thanks to Dane for helping fix this version of the Big Board by getting more prospects into appropriate ranges. The consensus top 100 is not all the way there, but it’s getting closer in some areas.

We talked last time about the likes of Witherspoon, Van Ness and Musgrave. All three are probably still ranked too low. Witherspoon is at least going to be in the conversation as the top cornerback on several NFL teams’ boards, while Van Ness will be a top-20 prospect for some and very well could be a first-round pick himself, despite a lack of production at Iowa. Musgrave, meantime, could flirt with the back half of Round 1 — he will be much higher on this list when we do it again after the combine (assuming he runs his 40-yard dash).

In a similar vein, White jumped up 23 spots and that might not be enough. He is, at the very least, a top-50 player and possibly even a first-round pick.

• The consensus board probably remains too high on several other prospects, including one on this “risers” list: Dawand Jones.

His dominant one-day performance at the Senior Bowl no doubt bumped him up several boards. He was able to answer several questions NFL evaluators had about his mobility and overall foot speed vs. live pass rushers, but it’s important to note the tape on Jones still is what it is. Jones is No. 52 on Brugler’s latest big board, which is likely much closer to how NFL teams view him right now. Jones’ length is incredible, but can he hold up in every scheme? Will his balance and range be as usable at the next level? We’ll see.

Another prospect I think the board is far too high on: Army edge Andre Carter. He struggled with power at the Senior Bowl and, despite his length and speed, appears as though he’ll have a long way to go vs. the run.

ADVERTISEMENT

• The board is too scared of quarterbacks Will Levis (Kentucky) and Anthony Richardson (Florida). Too many have gotten stuck on box-score scouting. Interceptions and completion rate in college matter — no one here will ever argue otherwise — but context on every single attempt in college also matters. A lot. QBs often are playing with receivers and lineman (and, in some cases, coaches) who are not NFL-caliber complements.

Richardson and Levis have physical traits that are undeniable, and that will be true no matter how many times you saw them make poor throws on your television screens last season. Certainly, those traits will show up next week at the combine and at each player’s respective pro day. Dane’s current top 100 is closer to where this is going to shake out, with Levis at No. 10 and Richardson at No. 14. People should prepare themselves for four quarterbacks to be taken in the top half of the first round.

• One more note on the quarterbacks: I’d guess the odds favor seeing just four quarterbacks in the top 100 (Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Levis and Richardson), rather than a scenario in which Stanford’s Tanner McKee (No. 62 on the consensus board) and Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker (No. 71) join them. Hooker could climb to that top-100 range on draft weekend, perhaps, but not sure I’d call it “likely.”

• The board is still way too high on receivers and way too low on corners. Quentin Johnston stayed at No. 8 and Jordan Addison actually moved up two spots (to No. 9). Maybe the board knows better than me, but it’d be a bit surprising to see them selected there, when all is said and done. I also don’t think Jaxon Smith-Njigba (No. 13) will go in the top 15. We’ll see if the combine changes my mind, but I really doubt it.

I don’t have as much of an issue with how the corners are stacked at the top, as that really depends on how you want your defense to play man coverage. That said, I don’t see zero corners coming off the board before the 14th pick (where Joey Porter Jr., is ranked on the consensus board), nor do I believe there are 15 players in this class better than Christian Gonzalez (No. 16).

ADVERTISEMENT

The board does have more confidence than Dane in Kelee Ringo (No. 22 here; No. 32 on Brugler’s board). On that, I side with the consensus. However, I’m right back to agreeing with Dane on South Carolina CB Cam Smith (No. 51 on Brugler’s board; No. 18 here). I like Smith, but I don’t believe he’s in the top four at his position.

My ranking of that group, presently, would be: Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter, Ringo.

• The linebackers had some of the widest ranges on the Consensus Big Board, and that’s really no surprise. It’ll be like that throughout the entire draft process, because the league’s general consensus on what it believes to be a good stack linebacker is … well, it doesn’t exist. There are multiple schools of thought at a position that’s changing pretty constantly.

That doesn’t diminish the position’s importance, though. On the contrary, good stack linebackers are still incredibly valuable and — like good running backs — smart general managers have shown in recent years that you can sit, wait and strike gold. Nick Bolton and Pete Werner were late second-round picks in 2021. The Lions got Malcolm Rodriguez in the sixth round last year. The Bears found a good one in undrafted rookie Jack Sanborn.

Impact linebackers are out there, even if it’s not necessarily reflected in the top 100.

(Illustration: Eamonn Dalton / The Athleticphotos: Randy Litzinger, Adam Davis, Nick Cammett / Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?

Archived