2023 NFL Draft thread

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

In round 1? That seems like a stretch for him. We might be able to get Dawand Jones or maybe Darnell Wright in round 2. 

Personally I'd be open to trading up for Paris Johnson. 

Bengals wont get Jones or Wright in rd2

I believe all three may be 1st rounders or very early in rd2..

Id be allright with any of the 3 in rd1 to upgrade RT..

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

In round 1? That seems like a stretch for him. We might be able to get Dawand Jones or maybe Darnell Wright in round 2. 

No chance they trade up, we both know that.

Harrison is graded out as a late 1st early 2nd.

Like I said unless one of the CBs drops, I think he's a very realistic pick.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon or Boyd + our 1st to trade up for Paris Johnson?

Yeah... delusional.  But would be nice.

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Unless one of the corners drops to us, I think the pick is very likely to be Antion Harrison

I wouldn't mind this pick in the first round although I do worry if he will do well in the NFL.  I would really like to see one of the top corners fall to them though.

Then in the second round grab someone like Mazi Smith or Keannu Benton as they need to find a replacement for Reader soon as I would be surprised if they resign him next year.

1 minute ago, soundstreamer said:

I wouldn't mind this pick in the first round although I do worry if he will do well in the NFL.  I would really like to see one of the top corners fall to them though.

Then in the second round grab someone like Mazi Smith or Keannu Benton as they need to find a replacement for Reader soon as I would be surprised if they resign him next year.

I'm hoping one of the corners falls too, and that we can grab Dawan Jones in 2, but yes we need to find a nose tackle as well. 

Collins will be back at some point next season. Likely not week 1 but maybe after 6 weeks on PUP. The team might also release him.

If we keep Collins, then we just need a stopgap until he returns. Carman would seem like a good choice for RT, assuming he doesn't have problems adjusting to the right side of the line. Adeniji can be the backup to the backup. We might take George TE Darnell Washington in round 1. He's a very effective blocker and would beef up that side of the line.

I'm more concerned about finding a long term fix at LT. Jonah Williams led the league in sacks allowed and is going into the final season of his rookie deal. At this point, he doesn't deserve an extension so we need to plan ahead. Thus my desire for Paris Johnson. He should be a longterm fix and we can avoid a 15 mil cap hit for a vet.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:55 PM, sparky151 said:

I doubt Kancey is going in the top 15. Most mocks I've seen don't even have him in the first round, meaning he'd be available for selection at 29. But he'd be a terrible pick for us. We're not going to bench or cut Hill and we just used a day 2 pick last year on the backup. Kancey's production isn't close to Donald's. And we certainly have bigger areas of need, not all of which will be filled in free agency. 

GBN Report has him #60.DTP's draft guide has him #81.

16 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm hoping one of the corners falls too, and that we can grab Dawan Jones in 2, but yes we need to find a nose tackle as well. 

I know every player is different, but I'm a little weary of O-State linemen at this point.  Billy Price, Isaiah Prince, Mike Jordan.  I'm sure there are others on other teams that are doing OK, we just haven't had the luck.  

19 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Mixon or Boyd + our 1st to trade up for Paris Johnson?

Yeah... delusional.  But would be nice.

Just saw this at my local UDF this morning.

https://www.10tv.com/article/life/food/ohio-state-paris-johnson-jr-beef-jerky/530-158b6953-8829-476c-aeef-9ebdfa431ab7

I'm a little wary of OSU linemen, too. The last one I can think of that did anything decent was Nick Mangold. If there are other more recent linemen that have done OK, I'm not aware of them, either. 

OSU has produced plenty of good O-linemen. Nick Petit-Frere started at tackle for the Titans as a rookie last year. Thayer Munford made the Broncos roster as a backup. Corey Linsley has been a probowler and first team all-pro. Josh Myers is a starter, so is Jonah Jackson. Taylor Decker is still starting at LT for the Lions.

Price was a bust but Jordan and Prince weren't high draft picks. 

2 years ago on a flight back from Oregon, I watched a Baylor game, as nothing better was on the in flight tv. This kid, Siaki Ika caught my eye and I've been kind of watching him ever since. I've seen him projected from 1st to 3rd round? If he fell to us in the second, or we traded up to grab him in that round, I wouldn't mind it at all. Probably could replace DJ fairly quick?

3 hours ago, MOC said:

2 years ago on a flight back from Oregon, I watched a Baylor game, as nothing better was on the in flight tv. This kid, Siaki Ika caught my eye and I've been kind of watching him ever since. I've seen him projected from 1st to 3rd round? If he fell to us in the second, or we traded up to grab him in that round, I wouldn't mind it at all. Probably could replace DJ fairly quick?

Ika started his career at LSU and was on their 2019 national championship team. Shelvin didn't work out for us but Ika is much better. I doubt he makes it to our 2nd round pick and he'd be a luxury pick for us in round 1 as Reader has been playing very well. 

55 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Ika started his career at LSU and was on their 2019 national championship team. Shelvin didn't work out for us but Ika is much better. I doubt he makes it to our 2nd round pick and he'd be a luxury pick for us in round 1 as Reader has been playing very well. 

It's not really a luxury pick at all. I think it is a pretty big need.  I would be surprised if Reader is resigned next year and there is no one on the roster than can truly replace him.  The defense is no where near as good without him on the field so they have to get a replacement for him pretty soon.

I like the Ika call and would be all for him in the 2nd round.

I'm not convinced they don't just keep Reader though.

If you hit on some draft picks at other positions that give you some cheap young starters moving forward, there's no reason they can't try to make sure Reader retires as a Bengal. 

Reader is going to be 29 once the season starts, he's still playing at a all-pro level, but 30 is that magic number, so if he stays I can't imagine it being more than a 3-year deal at a lower cap number. Not sure if hell take a deal like that.

Archived