2023 NFL Draft thread

I've done a few mocks where there are some really intriguing guys left.  From this group, who would you take?

Calijah Kancey

Darnell Wright

Jahmyr Gibbs

Dawand Jones

Bryan Bresee

Michael Mayer

Broderick Jones

Darnell Washington

I think I'd have to go with B. Jone or Darnell Wright...gotta protect the Franchise.  Kancey and Gibbs would be tempting...I think both are game breakers on their sides of the ball.  I still have concerns about Kancey's size and I'm the only one that thinks mid-second is where he should go because of that.  As for Gibbs, I just wouldn't love spending a first on a rotational back, but he would add an element to our offense (speed) which we don't have a ton of right now.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

I've done a few mocks where there are some really intriguing guys left.  From this group, who would you take?

Calijah Kancey

Darnell Wright

Jahmyr Gibbs

Dawand Jones

Bryan Bresee

Michael Mayer

Broderick Jones

Darnell Washington

I think I'd have to go with B. Jone or Darnell Wright...gotta protect the Franchise.  Kancey and Gibbs would be tempting...I think both are game breakers on their sides of the ball.  I still have concerns about Kancey's size and I'm the only one that thinks mid-second is where he should go because of that.  As for Gibbs, I just wouldn't love spending a first on a rotational back, but he would add an element to our offense (speed) which we don't have a ton of right now.

With the current roster, I'd say Mayer. The DTs are luxury picks and the OTs aren't too far from that. 

It might be old school but, I am a trenches guy. A first round pick for the lines is never a bad thing. I am hoping for an OT or a DT. RB, CB and/or TE can come later. A few more minor signings will likely be needed in free agency to make that even more of a viable direction.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

It might be old school but, I am a trenches guy. A first round pick for the lines is never a bad thing. I am hoping for an OT or a DT. RB, CB and/or TE can come later. A few more minor signings will likely be needed in free agency to make that even more of a viable direction.

I agree. It is never a luxury to pick a lineman.

The deeper we get into the offseason, the more I come around to the idea the Bengals should go all in on offense in this draft. 

-Getting a bookend RT and locking him in to a cheap deal for 4 or 5 years has to be a huge priority. How incredible would it be to not have to worry about the line for a few years?

-It's the best/deepest TE class in a decade and even the mediocre TEs all seem to get $7 or $8M per year in FA lately. Need to get a long-term answer there on a cheap deal.

-I'm done with Mixon. His inability to be on the field on the biggest plays because he doesn't know who to block. The big salary. All the dumb shit off the field. Get a well-rounded young back with some explosiveness to him. 

12 minutes ago, happyrid said:

The deeper we get into the offseason, the more I come around to the idea the Bengals should go all in on offense in this draft. 

-Getting a bookend RT and locking him in to a cheap deal for 4 or 5 years has to be a huge priority. How incredible would it be to not have to worry about the line for a few years?

-It's the best/deepest TE class in a decade and even the mediocre TEs all seem to get $7 or $8M per year in FA lately. Need to get a long-term answer there on a cheap deal.

-I'm done with Mixon. His inability to be on the field on the biggest plays because he doesn't know who to block. The big salary. All the dumb shit off the field. Get a well-rounded young back with some explosiveness to him. 

Cosigned. Much as I don't want a RB with a high pick, if that frees up $13m to spend elsewhere and nets us a guy that doesn't get our QB killed and doesn't have his boy magdumping a fuckin mini-AK at teenagers on the lawn of his country estate, well.. good enough. 

The more I look at pick 28 ... the 5 players that excite me the most (BPA) and could realistically be there, are ... 

1. Dawand Jones, RT  -  a mountain of a human

2. Darnell Washington, TE  -  a lab specimen

3. Michael Mayer, TE  -  reliable security blanket

4. Zay Jones, WR  -  the next Cheetah

5. Drew Sanders, LB  -  the next Urlacher

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The more I look at pick 28 ... the 5 players that excite me the most (BPA) and could realistically be there, are ... 

I presume you think Darnell Wright will be gone? Because he’s my top choice if there at 28.

4 hours ago, membengal said:

I presume you think Darnell Wright will be gone? Because he’s my top choice if there at 28.

I think Jax is the most likely to take a right tackle ahead of us after they lost theirs. Whether that's Wright or Jones remains to be seen.

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Depending on the draft board online he was around a late second to fourth round guy before the injury.

From Dane Brulger:

Offensive lineman Andrew Vorhees suffered a torn ACL at the NFL combine on Sunday, according to multiple reports. Here’s what you need to know:

• The guard is No. 77 on The Athletic’s most recent consensus Top-100 Big Board from Nick Baumgardner and Austin Mock.
  • After suffering the injury Sunday, Vorhees continued performing at the combine and put up 38 bench press reps of 225 pounds.
  • Vorhees started 11 games for USC in 2022 and finished the season as a first-team All-American and winner of the Morris Trophy, which is awarded to the Pac-12’s top offensive or defensive lineman.

Complete warrior…played hurt the entire 2nd half of the season when most would have shut it down…whatever team drafts him will be getting an absolute dude in the trenches-@Andrew_Vorhees https://t.co/RFau3RFUmR

— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) March 6, 2023

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Impact on Vorhees’ draft stock

Vorhees was graded as a third-to-fifth-round pick, depending on which team you talk to. He battled numerous injuries over his six years at USC so there were already medical concerns. And unfortunately, his ACL injury during on-field drills at the combine adds another question mark to his scouting report.

ADVERTISEMENT

This close to the draft, the timing is unfortunate as well. Medical re-checks are in mid-April and hopefully, that is enough time for teams to have a better idea of how his knee is responding to the surgery. It is hard to put a firm grade on Vorhees until we have more information, but fair to say this injury will likely push him into day three and he is no longer a lock to be drafted. — Brugler

What did he bring to USC’s offense?

Vorhees was the best player on USC’s resurgent offensive line this past season and played a major role in making holes in the run game for the Trojans’ explosive offense. He suffered an undisclosed injury halfway through the season and missed the Arizona game.

Vorhees eventually worked his way back for the stretch run and played against UCLA and Notre Dame but was too injured to play in the Pac-12 title game and the Cotton Bowl. And USC’s offensive line didn’t look the same without him. — Morales

28 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

From Dane Brulger:

Offensive lineman Andrew Vorhees suffered a torn ACL at the NFL combine on Sunday, according to multiple reports. Here’s what you need to know:

• The guard is No. 77 on The Athletic’s most recent consensus Top-100 Big Board from Nick Baumgardner and Austin Mock.
  • After suffering the injury Sunday, Vorhees continued performing at the combine and put up 38 bench press reps of 225 pounds.
  • Vorhees started 11 games for USC in 2022 and finished the season as a first-team All-American and winner of the Morris Trophy, which is awarded to the Pac-12’s top offensive or defensive lineman.

Complete warrior…played hurt the entire 2nd half of the season when most would have shut it down…whatever team drafts him will be getting an absolute dude in the trenches-@Andrew_Vorhees https://t.co/RFau3RFUmR

— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) March 6, 2023

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Impact on Vorhees’ draft stock

Vorhees was graded as a third-to-fifth-round pick, depending on which team you talk to. He battled numerous injuries over his six years at USC so there were already medical concerns. And unfortunately, his ACL injury during on-field drills at the combine adds another question mark to his scouting report.

ADVERTISEMENT

This close to the draft, the timing is unfortunate as well. Medical re-checks are in mid-April and hopefully, that is enough time for teams to have a better idea of how his knee is responding to the surgery. It is hard to put a firm grade on Vorhees until we have more information, but fair to say this injury will likely push him into day three and he is no longer a lock to be drafted. — Brugler

What did he bring to USC’s offense?

Vorhees was the best player on USC’s resurgent offensive line this past season and played a major role in making holes in the run game for the Trojans’ explosive offense. He suffered an undisclosed injury halfway through the season and missed the Arizona game.

Vorhees eventually worked his way back for the stretch run and played against UCLA and Notre Dame but was too injured to play in the Pac-12 title game and the Cotton Bowl. And USC’s offensive line didn’t look the same without him. — Morales

Thanks for doing the research, I_C.

I could easily see the Bengals drafting him…hopefully not until the 7th round.  Depends upon what else is available for our 7th-round pick, and whether talks with him has us thinking we can get him as an undrafted free agent.

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Nice list. My 2 cents...

1. Completely agree on Dawand Jones. Him and Darnell Wright are probably at the top of my overall wishlist as fas as realistic options.

2. James Casey (TE coach) did an interview with Lapham and he didn't seem all that excited about Washington. Implied that his lack of foot speed might make it hard for him to get open and maybe didn't have the quickness to excel on certain types of blocks that are a big part of the scheme. 

3. I'd be good with Mayer. Just feels like it would be a safe pick with medium upside. I'm cooling a bit on the idea of a first-round TE just because of how much I like guys like Tucker Kraft and Luke Schoonmaker in the second or third round. Not my first choice but solid.

4. Zay Flowers would be a very good Boyd replacement. He ran a 4.42, which is great, but not same stratosphere as Tyreek Hill. As far as WRs, I'm 100% in on Jaxson Smith-Njigba if he somehow fell (unlikely). Flowers and Jordan Addison would be fine too but WR doesn't feel like a first round need. 

5. I wouldn't take a linebacker after they extended Pratt. With Wilson still around for 2023 and a long-term extension candidate, a LB doesn't make sense in the early rounds. We only play two most of the time and we have two good ones. 

My personal list would also have Calijah Kancey, Mazi Smith, and Brian Bresee at DT. Don't think Kancey makes it to us but the other two might. Smith is a size/explosiveness/strength freak at DT. BlackJesus of 10 years ago would have had this guy #1 on the wish list. He could play 500 snaps as a rookie and then take over for DJ Reader as the starter in 2024, so you get the short-term impact and the draft one year ahead replacement that the Bengals love (like Dax Hill last year). He's the one guy who I haven't heard talked about much by Bengals fans who I think makes some sense. 

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Thanks for doing the research, I_C.

I could easily see the Bengals drafting him…hopefully not until the 7th round.  Depends upon what else is available for our 7th-round pick, and whether talks with him has us thinking we can get him as an undrafted free agent.

I would think a team with a large number of lower picks (like the 49ers) may gamble on him in round 6 or early 7. 

13 hours ago, Cricket said:

0AF3C815-E571-4276-8B61-8B2173478E25.jpeg.3aa4013282d01c4aedbd5e3f08742cdf.jpeg

What round  was he originally expected to go?

…and which round do we now pick him?

1/2 🥷

I used to put alot of stock in the bench.

Not so much anymore.

There are many good linemen that bench 25 or so..

Same with their 40 time..

Talent and overall fit here is the priority..

Archived