2023 NFL Draft thread

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Peter Shrager's mock earlier today had the Bengals trading pick 28 to the Vikings for their 3rd and 4th rounders this year plus 2nd and 4ths next year.  I'd rather do that than draft a D-lineman or RB in round 1. 

Um. FUCK NO. We move out of 1 and pinwheel back 60 spots? that's just all kinds of fucked up. Fuck Schrager. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Um. FUCK NO. We move out of 1 and pinwheel back 60 spots? that's just all kinds of fucked up. Fuck Schrager. 

Agreed, I saw that mock and it's like... we're going to trade out of the 1st so a team can pick a QB, and we get NO FIRST back?  Nah, that'd be dereliction of duty.

In the next 2 rounds we want TE-CB (outside)-RB

If we don't get a X we have

TE-Smith-Sample-Asiasi-Hudson-Bowers

RB-Mixon-Evans-Williams

CB-Awuzie-Jones-Tell

CB-Taylor Britt-George

I think for 2024 they probably think they could be ok at TE if the draft turned the other direction. If you add Apple back you are ok at corner. There isn't an avenue to feel ok at RB outside draft picks. 

I would go CB-RB-TE and see how things fell. 

That's the problem with using the first rounder on a non-need position. Now we have to fill needs with lesser picks. Maybe some of their draft targets fall or we find a trade partner for Jonah and gain a pick. But right now it looks like we'll be filling needs with 4th and 5th rounders. Fingers crossed. 

D-line was 100% a need.  Hubbard and Hendrickson and Hill played WAY too many snaps last year and wore down. We only had 30 sacks as a team.  Extra help for the line was definitely a need. For now and for a year from now when we start to look toward Hendrickson maybe being let go. LouA already said Murphy is straight into the rotation.  Need. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

That's the problem with using the first rounder on a non-need position. Now we have to fill needs with lesser picks. Maybe some of their draft targets fall or we find a trade partner for Jonah and gain a pick. But right now it looks like we'll be filling needs with 4th and 5th rounders. Fingers crossed. 

They don't seem to think they have any glaring needs. We've got a 3-way slapfight to see who gets the short straw and has to actually suit up and play RT, and we're Staying the Course at RB with Joe Sixgun.

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

D-line was 100% a need.  Hubbard and Hendrickson and Hill played WAY too many snaps last year and wore down. We only had 30 sacks as a team.  Extra help for the line was definitely a need. For now and for a year from now when we start to look toward Hendrickson maybe being let go. LouA already said Murphy is straight into the rotation.  Need. 

I am 100% on board with DL and OL with high picks in any draft. Can’t have enough and we will always lose some to injury, age and FA. 

54 minutes ago, membengal said:

Hill played more snaps last year than the prior year when he split time with Ogunjobi. Zach Carter was drafted to be the replacement for Larry but didn't show much. Maybe he improves this offseason or maybe Sample/Murphy take more 3T pass rushing snaps. Hendrickson missed time with some minor injuries so I doubt he got worn down. Same with Hubbard. We could have picked a rotational pass rusher in round 3 with Foskey or Harrison. I'd rather have 1 of them plus Mayer than Murphy plus Kuntz or Allen. 

Love to come out of day 3 with any of these guys…Chandler Zavala, Tyler Scott, Karl Brooks, Roschon Johnson, Israel Abanikanda, DeWayne McBride, Keaton Mitchell, Blake Freeland, Josh Whyle, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Bryce Baringer, Michael Turk.

IMHO (which means nothing). so far it looks like the Bengals are building for the future with cheap rookie contracts when Chito (unfortunately), Apple (the sooner the better) and the rent-a-safeties are gone on D.  First round D line knocks it out of the partk

While at the same time keeping an eye on retaining our fantastic O with Joe (duh), Tee and Ja'Marr et al with extended contracts.

Brilliant move on the part of Bengals brain trust.

Waiting for Michael Weston's chart on who is left for today.

I lost track.

Trade up in 3 with the extra 6th rounder.

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

IMHO (which means nothing). so far it looks like the Bengals are building for the future with cheap rookie contracts when Chito (unfortunately), Apple (the sooner the better) and the rent-a-safeties are gone on D.  First round D line knocks it out of the partk

While at the same time keeping an eye on retaining our fantastic O with Joe (duh), Tee and Ja'Marr et al with extended contracts.

Brilliant move on the part of Bengals brain trust.

Waiting for Michael Weston's chart on who is left for today.

I lost track.

Trade up in 3 with the extra 6th rounder.

It a definitely a strategic thinking move. Good on them. 

I think it remains to be seen if Irv and Drew can stay healthy but it was said in a tweet...we have Joe F'n Burrow, and we have Chase and Tee (could always franchise tag). I'm ok with the continued rent-a-TE exercise

Archived