2023 NFL Draft thread

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

The closer the draft gets, the less excited I am about the realistic options at 28. I think Forbes is my favorite because he'd add a play-making element at CB that has been missing. Dawand Jones is my second favorite, even if the bust risk is high. Feels like there is enough upside to offset the risk in the late first. 

What I really want it for the Bengals to trade back out of the first and add another third round pick. While nobody really stands out as a definite difference maker in the first, I do like the depth of this class deep into Day 2. Especially at CB, RB, and TE. 

My thought is draft a bulldozing RT that takes 2.5 secs to even go around in pass protection.

That said Bengals love CBs so the possibility of drafting Forbes would make sense as well..

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The key to unlocking this offense is keeping the QB clean.  Anything else is window dressing.

That’s been the case for the last two years…and yet the team has yet to sufficiently address it. 

31 minutes ago, Cricket said:

That’s been the case for the last two years…and yet the team has yet to sufficiently address it. 

Blackburn women know that..

Cuz Joe and Zach and Duke told them that.

Its not hard to understand 

Itss pivotal in making this team like "The greatest show on turf"  awhile back..

Maybe better..😎

39 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I think they've made a pretty good effort the last couple of years considering the trash unit that Ketchup Wizard left them.  Hopefully Jonah Williams is the last time they take his advice about anything.  Got a decent interior OL together last year, hopefully this year is the same for the OTs. 

If you told me there was a guy who 100% would be an above average right tackle for the next five years and we could have him at 28, I would sign up. Hard to imagine any Bengals fan who wouldn't. The big issue I see is that there is a real chance that whichever OT is still on the board after 27 picks has a decent chance of being the next Cedric Ogbuehi or Jackson Carman or Billy Price. 

I know no pick is 100% to be an above average starter but some of these other positions feel like the odds of getting a good player are higher.

So then the question is are you so desperate for an OT that you end up reaching? The risk of missing on OT is that maybe ends up putting you into an even tougher position with the roster/cap next offseason because you didn't just lock in the sure thing and get the cheap 4-year starter at another need spot. 

I don't have the answer and I am probably irrationally confident in Dawand Jones not being a bust even though a bunch of the better OL scouts, draft pundits, and NFL front office people who leak to Bob McGinn are tabbing him as a very high-risk pick and giving him "most likely to bust" votes. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

If you told me there was a guy who 100% would be an above average right tackle for the next five years and we could have him at 28, I would sign up. Hard to imagine any Bengals fan who wouldn't. The big issue I see is that there is a real chance that whichever OT is still on the board after 27 picks has a decent chance of being the next Cedric Ogbuehi or Jackson Carman or Billy Price. 

I know no pick is 100% to be an above average starter but some of these other positions feel like the odds of getting a good player are higher.

So then the question is are you so desperate for an OT that you end up reaching? The risk of missing on OT is that maybe ends up putting you into an even tougher position with the roster/cap next offseason because you didn't just lock in the sure thing and get the cheap 4-year starter at another need spot. 

I don't have the answer and I am probably irrationally confident in Dawand Jones not being a bust even though a bunch of the better OL scouts, draft pundits, and NFL front office people who leak to Bob McGinn are tabbing him as a very high-risk pick and giving him "most likely to bust" votes. 

Good stuff.

Yes Jones could be a risk but who isn't after pick 25 or so as a top pick..

If their confident in drafting another position than RT them Im all in.

I trust they do right..

There will  be solid OTs that come out of this draft into the 3rd or 4th round, maybe later. I'm not hung up on getting one in the first or it being one of the top 5 name guys. My concern is that the team has drafted a parade of shitty OL. They need to get it right whether that's in the 1st round or the 5th.

51 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

There will  be solid OTs that come out of this draft into the 3rd or 4th round, maybe later. I'm not hung up on getting one in the first or it being one of the top 5 name guys. My concern is that the team has drafted a parade of shitty OL. They need to get it right whether that's in the 1st round or the 5th.

This.

Volson was a great pick in round 4, Williams not so much in Round 1. Right guy, right fit. No matter who is picked on the OL in the draft it should not be assummed he starts. 

39 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This.

Volson was a great pick in round 4, Williams not so much in Round 1. Right guy, right fit. No matter who is picked on the OL in the draft it should not be assummed he starts. 

Yeah I'm hoping Volson was indicative of new eyes in the process and not dumb luck.

Also agree with not starting a guy just because they burned a high draft pick on him. That's been an issue at times as well.

ketchup-catsup.gif

I don't think Jones has a high chance of busting. IMO he's a very safe pick. The draft industrial complex probably is down on him a bit for not doing drills for them but his tape is excellent and his record speaks for itself. I'd much rather have a rookie Dawand Jones facing Garrett or Watt in week 1 than Jonah Williams. Jones allowed 0 sacks, 0 QB hits and only 5 pressures on 419 pass blocking snaps last season. That ranks him as [checks notes ] #1 in FBS in pass protection. He faced guys from Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Georgia who will be drafted as pass rushers and stopped them cold. 

His technique can certainly use improvement. But there's no particular reason to think he won't work on his craft. He's already gone from 3 star recruit to 2nd team All-American. He can reshape his body over time. But he already has tremendous size and length. Just his physical traits prevent him from being bull-rushed. He hits rushers before they hit him due to his very long arms and heavy hands. The rip and dip and spin moves don't work very well on him. He'll have that from day 1. 

Anyone whose current weight may be closer to 400 pounds than 370 these days absolutely has bust potential. Jones could have dispelled those doubts by jumping on the scales during his pro day, but he chose not to do so. 

26 minutes ago, dex said:

Anyone whose current weight may be closer to 400 pounds than 370 these days absolutely has bust potential. Jones could have dispelled those doubts by jumping on the scales during his pro day, but he chose not to do so. 

…maybe he wanted to fall to pick 28 so he could play with Joey B.  :shrug:  

🥷

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think Jones has a high chance of busting. IMO he's a very safe pick. The draft industrial complex probably is down on him a bit for not doing drills for them but his tape is excellent and his record speaks for itself. I'd much rather have a rookie Dawand Jones facing Garrett or Watt in week 1 than Jonah Williams. Jones allowed 0 sacks, 0 QB hits and only 5 pressures on 419 pass blocking snaps last season. That ranks him as [checks notes ] #1 in FBS in pass protection. He faced guys from Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, and Georgia who will be drafted as pass rushers and stopped them cold. 

His technique can certainly use improvement. But there's no particular reason to think he won't work on his craft. He's already gone from 3 star recruit to 2nd team All-American. He can reshape his body over time. But he already has tremendous size and length. Just his physical traits prevent him from being bull-rushed. He hits rushers before they hit him due to his very long arms and heavy hands. The rip and dip and spin moves don't work very well on him. He'll have that from day 1. 

In any other draft he is 100% a 3rd round pick AT BEST. Just because this is a weak draft class for the position, in no way means you take him over a guy at another position of need that you have a much higher grade on. Some of you guys want a RT so bad you’ve completely lost sight.  

So the best pass protecting tackle in the country is usually a 3rd round pick? Do you hear yourself? He's also a dominant run blocker as a bonus. If the Bengals pass on him at 28, he may well go at 31 or 32. Chiefs may take an edge rusher or Stealers may take a CB if they went tackle at 17. But it wouldn't be a surprise if one of them took Jones and it's possible the Chiefs trade up to get ahead of the Bengals. 

4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

So the best pass protecting tackle in the country is usually a 3rd round pick?

Wait, are you talking about Dawand Jones or Broderick Jones here? I feel like you might be confusing the two. Otherwise I have no idea wtf you’re talking about honestly. 

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

So the best pass protecting tackle in the country is usually a 3rd round pick? Do you hear yourself? He's also a dominant run blocker as a bonus. If the Bengals pass on him at 28, he may well go at 31 or 32. Chiefs may take an edge rusher or Stealers may take a CB if they went tackle at 17. But it wouldn't be a surprise if one of them took Jones and it's possible the Chiefs trade up to get ahead of the Bengals. 

Is this your opinion or you pulling it from a specific source?

PFF gave Dawand Jones a 78.4 pass blocking grade last season. Skoronski was 93.0. Anton Harrison 83.3. Broderick Jones 84.1.  I'm not going to look up everyone but I don't see a lot of support for him being the best pass protecting tackle in the country.

I really do think Jones has high bust potential and is less of a clean prospect than you are making him out to be. And I say this as someone who would be pretty happy with Jones at 28.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

Spicoli....if Dawand is not the guy at 28, if Anton Harrison is there is he worth a shot at 28 or still no?

Imo, no….I’m a big fan of Matt Bergeron, I’d rather have him than a few of the other guys talked about going earlier. That said, I don’t think he’ll grade out higher on their board than guys that will be sitting there at other positions of need. Honestly, CB seems like the logical choice for them….Forbes, Deonte Banks or Cam Smith. I’m thinking one of them will be there for them at 28…I’d love to see them trade back though.

IMHO Dawan Jones ceiling is Orlando Brown and his floor is last year's version of Collins (meaning not good)

Like I said he moves well for a big guy but I also have seen him falling on top of guys like Collins did alot last year.

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Great, that he's coming back. I would love to see him sign a 1-day contract to retire a Bengals and then put in the Ring of Honor asap.

Also, just give the damn jersey away, don't make big deal about giving away a jersey if you're a multi-billion dollar enterprise. 

28 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Great, that he's coming back. I would love to see him sign a 1-day contract to retire a Bengals and then put in the Ring of Honor asap.

Also, just give the damn jersey away, don't make big deal about giving away a jersey if you're a multi-billion dollar enterprise. 

No shit. Should we tip our Waffle House waitress $20? Like and subscribe!

image.png.130f65b4669e85ee6f964bc431b30588.png

Archived