2023 NFL Draft thread

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I dont think Jones is underrated in regards to him being the 5th Olineman on the board and the need we have..

Yourr comment about overweight is a factor.

400lbs?..doubt it but Id like to see him at 360 on draft day.

Who knows though..

Interesting..

He’s a mid-round OT. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

He's the 31st overall player on PFF's big board. 

62nd on Dane Brugler 

62. Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State (6-8, 374)

As a run blocker, Jones flashes the heavy hands to steer and create movement and uses his natural size to cave in defenders on down blocks. As a pass blocker, he is effective when he can quick-set, eliminate space and get his hands on his target before they get into their rush, but covering up inside on wide-nine NFL speed is a different animal. Overall, Jones needs continued refinement with his decision-making and reaction skills, but he is a masher in the run game and his rare size/length and improved balance in pass pro have him on the trajectory to be an NFL starter. He will be valued higher by NFL teams that covet size and run blocking at right tackle.

If the Bengals do not take OT at 28 it would be Gibbs-Mayer-Kincaid in that order for me depending who was there.  I would not be for a CB at 28 unless one of the top 3 not named Porter fell to 28 then maybe. 

I do not care if Porter. Jr was a future HOF the inbred kid of Porter, Sr should never stroll the Bengal sideline.

If my 3 of Gibbs-Mayer-Kincaid are gone I would seriously consider trading back maybe a couple of times.  I think this draft is missing a lot of super stars at the top but is solid in several positions CB-TE-OL-RB-EDGE in rounds 2/3/4.

It has been interesting to listen to the folks on Sirius NFL radio over the last few weeks - Charlie Weis, Tom Dimitroff, Rick Speilman, etc. All of them essentially saying the way the game is today, everyone is looking for OT's, CB's and pass rushers. Beside QB's these are the premium positions. Not news really, just conformation and re-confirmation. So if we go DE or CB at 28 that should be no surprise.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So if we go DE or CB at 28 that should be no surprise

Absolutely. I’ll be really surprised if that’s not what it comes down to in the end actually. Really seems to be lining up that way. Gibbs being the wildcard. 

If Forbes is the best CB available at 28 then I am trading back.  He is decent but I do not see him that that much better than the next 5 maybe 8 corners available.  Trade back and get 2 good CB's if you want.

Maybe not but but I see a higher ranked RB-EDGE-DL-TE falling to 28 before I would pick Forbes.

For everyone that says "trade back" - you have to have someone who wants to trade up and has a pick that isn't too far back etc. Not a lot of dance partners. 

As for Forbes, he had FOURTEEN ints in college including SIX that went for TDs, His production is impeccable. His ball skills are off the charts and he played at a high level in the SEC. I'm not even sure he makes it to 28.

13 hours ago, spicoli said:

I’d be cool with either one of those guys actually. 
Trading back is starting to look pretty logical at this point though if they can pull it off.
That’s kinda what I’m hoping for. 

Dont see that happening. at 28 they would maybe trade out of the 1st, they haven't done that since the 80s.

47 minutes ago, membengal said:

For everyone that says "trade back" - you have to have someone who wants to trade up and has a pick that isn't too far back etc. Not a lot of dance partners. 

As for Forbes, he had FOURTEEN ints in college including SIX that went for TDs, His production is impeccable. His ball skills are off the charts and he played at a high level in the SEC. I'm not even sure he makes it to 28.

Yeah I think that is possible that he goes earlier than we pick,.

As for Forbes...not saying he wont be a decent CB but a good chance 5-6 other CB's would be just as helpful to the Bengals.

Forbes weighed 166lbs at the Combine and a whopping 170 at his Pro Day.

If Forbes is the pick so be it.  But I can think of quite a few players if available I would choose before him.

54 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

As for Forbes...not saying he wont be a decent CB but a good chance 5-6 other CB's would be just as helpful to the Bengals.

Forbes weighed 166lbs at the Combine and a whopping 170 at his Pro Day.

If Forbes is the pick so be it.  But I can think of quite a few players if available I would choose before him.

I wouldn't put too much into the weight as he can/will gain weight if needed. Besides, he's a willing tackler and highly productive player, I will take that over a guy with ideal weight/height/length...etc..

14 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I wouldn't put too much into the weight as he can/will gain weight if needed. Besides, he's a willing tackler and highly productive player, I will take that over a guy with ideal weight/height/length...etc..

How can we be sure about that? This guy has probably been trying to put on weight for as long as he's played football. Some guys are just skinny. I'm guessing as a top notch NFL prospect who's main concern is gaining weight while staying in top playing shape, he's probably been trying everything. He could still be great. DeVonta Smith came on like gangbusters last year. I'm sure he's tried everything to gain 10 pounds, but he's still dominant. Forbes is a hair taller and lighter, and will occasionally be asked to tackle some beasts, so I don't know. 

Archived