2023 NFL Draft thread

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

Again, Forbes played in the SEC. He had to tackle beasts. At no point did he shy away from that challenge on any game tape etc you want to watch. 

How many 6'4, 220lb WR's did he face in the SEC? I honestly don't know, but that's every week in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

Again, Forbes played in the SEC. He had to tackle beasts. At no point did he shy away from that challenge on any game tape etc you want to watch. 

I never said he wasn't an excellent player. I'm just saying he's listed at 6'1" and 166 lbs. which is VERY borderline to step up to the pros, and there's NO guarantee he can gain substantial weight. He could beat the odds. I just think it's a very valid concern.

As far as Forbes goes...

The WR day for the combine was March 4, he weighed 166

Mississippi State's pro-day was March 28, he weight 170

Putting on 4lbs of what I would assume is all lean muscle in 24 days is pretty damned impressive. 

He will have from May until September to add more weight, and again he wont be starting right away.

If he is there at 28 I'll be pretty stoked.

23 minutes ago, A Rock said:

I never said he wasn't an excellent player. I'm just saying he's listed at 6'1" and 166 lbs. which is VERY borderline to step up to the pros, and there's NO guarantee he can gain substantial weight. He could beat the odds. I just think it's a very valid concern.

Agree here but his production is unreal and if we do get the chance to draft him I think that was considered 

1 hour ago, A Rock said:

How can we be sure about that? This guy has probably been trying to put on weight for as long as he's played football. Some guys are just skinny. I'm guessing as a top notch NFL prospect who's main concern is gaining weight while staying in top playing shape, he's probably been trying everything. He could still be great. DeVonta Smith came on like gangbusters last year. I'm sure he's tried everything to gain 10 pounds, but he's still dominant. Forbes is a hair taller and lighter, and will occasionally be asked to tackle some beasts, so I don't know. 

Most people gain weight the older they get so I have no concerns about him not being to gain weight throughout the course of his rookie contract, if we are relying on him to be our main tackler we're screwed. His production at MSU in the SEC is proof that his weight is a detriment to his ability to play football at an elite level. If he is 170 lbs now that would make him 13 lbs lighter than Mike Hilton, a guy that is fearless and will tackle damn near anyone. As long as he's willing to stick his nose in there and try, everything else will work itself out. 

I'm definitely in on Forbes, my favorite of the realistic options. Unfortunately, he seems to be one of those guys who in the final week before the draft, the media realizes teams are much higher on him. The Athletic beat-writer mock today had him going 16th overall and he seems to have a lot of late steam as a top 20 pick. Seems like he might be the top target for Baltimore at 22 if he even makes it that far. Feels like a longer shot that he will make it to 28 by the day. 

I like the idea of DT in the 1st round but have still not warmed up to the idea of a DE. Just does not make that much sense to me in terms of impact over the next year or two. If DE is clear BPA, then sure. Otherwise, I really hope they go a different direction at 28. 

4 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I'm definitely in on Forbes, my favorite of the realistic options. Unfortunately, he seems to be one of those guys who in the final week before the draft, the media realizes teams are much higher on him. The Athletic beat-writer mock today had him going 16th overall and he seems to have a lot of late steam as a top 20 pick. Seems like he might be the top target for Baltimore at 22 if he even makes it that far. Feels like a longer shot that he will make it to 28 by the day. 

I like the idea of DT in the 1st round but have still not warmed up to the idea of a DE. Just does not make that much sense to me in terms of impact over the next year or two. If DE is clear BPA, then sure. Otherwise, I really hope they go a different direction at 28. 

Yeah, I just read the Athletic's mock. The more I like a guy the more I think he's probably gone. :lol:

I don't have any problem going DT in 1, but DE doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as I think we are relatively deep at that position. 

Ben Baby participated in ESPN's beat-writer draft and has us taking Brian Breese. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah, I just read the Athletic's mock. The more I like a guy the more I think he's probably gone. :lol:

I don't have any problem going DT in 1, but DE doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as I think we are relatively deep at that position. 

Ben Baby participated in ESPN's beat-writer draft and has us taking Brian Breese. 

Not a bad choice either

6 hours ago, westside bengal said:

For the record I am not saying Forbes would be a terrible pick at 28....but a lot of players would have to be gone before I would pull that trigger.

I think it was Rick Speilman who said this week if Forbes weighed 20 pounds more he would be the top corner in the draft. 

I’ve been reading up on Lukas Van Ness after Lapham mentioned him as his #2 prediction, mainly because I too believe Forbes will not be there at #28.  Found it hard to believe he is considered a first round pick when he never started a game at Iowa.  Very strange IMO.  His overall production was solid the past two seasons and he played literally every position on the DL.  His size and athleticism are definitely advantages.  I’m on board with taking him because he can be part of the rotation Day 1, line up in multiple positions, and has upside potential.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I’ve been reading up on Lukas Van Ness after Lapham mentioned him as his #2 prediction, mainly because I too believe Forbes will not be there at #28.  Found it hard to believe he is considered a first round pick when he never started a game at Iowa.  Very strange IMO.  His overall production was solid the past two seasons and he played literally every position on the DL.  His size and athleticism are definitely advantages.  I’m on board with taking him because he can be part of the rotation Day 1, line up in multiple positions, and has upside potential.  

That does sound like the sort of DL we should be steering towards: good in pursuit/containment, blows up plays. The upfield QB chaser types just get tackled or cut blocked when it matters.

A backup at 28 though?

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That does sound like the sort of DL we should be steering towards: good in pursuit/containment, blows up plays. The upfield QB chaser types just get tackled or cut blocked when it matters.

A backup at 28 though?

Dax Hill was a backup at #31 last year so it’s not that crazy IMO.  I would think the plan would be similar if they take Van Ness.  He can contribute as a rookie but be looked at as a starter down the line.  He’s only a redshirt sophomore and I think there’s definite upside given his measurables and versatility.  

I think Van Ness not officially starting is kind of a non-story. He was a RS Soph and they started some older guys ahead of him because Ferentz is super old school. Van Ness still played the most snaps and was basically the starter.

He ran crazy fast for how big he is. I’d be shocked if he makes it anywhere near 28.

My draft strategy would be....

Rules for this draft  
QB Don't draft a QB. You want a backup with experience
RB Round 3 will be the sweet spot. Don't push it
WR BPA Rd 4 or after. Dont worry if you dont
TE BPA Rd 1-3. 
C/G Get one if you can after Rd 5. Dont worry if you don't
T Rd 1-2 or none
DT
Rd 1-3, target someone who can pass rush, maybe someone who can pass rush and then take over for Reader
DE
We have 5 guys, if it's not an obvious upgrade don't waste the pick. Lots of FA left
LB Only 5-7 Round and a flyer
S Rd 5+ as depth
CB
Don't take one in Rd 1....Too deep of a position to take a CB there. If it's BPA Trade back

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/04/25/bengals-mock-nfl-draft-2023-emmanuel-forbes-jaelyn-duncan-tyjae-spears/70149806007/?utm_source=enquirer-dailybriefing-strada&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailybriefing-headline-stack&utm_term=newsletter-greeting&utm_content=pcin-cincinnati-nletter65

Cincinnati Enquirer / Kelsey Conway :wub:  Draft

1.  Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

2. JaelyneDuncan OT Maryland

3. Tyjae Spears RB Tulane

I would be very OK with this.  this late in the game and after hearing all the discussion here,

I would be very happy with Forbes.

Concessus of opinion now seems to be no OT in the first round.  OK with this, too.

I guess if Forbes is gone, top tight end.

If a good one is not there, trade down.

But tomorrow morning this time I will know when I

wake up and open Go Bengals with my first cuppa.  :morning1:

From Article below, note that Forbes is tabbed mid first round.

Final 2023 NFL Mock Draft by Dane Brugler: Bryce Young at 1, then all bets are off

Dane Brugler
Apr 27, 2023

Follow: NFL Draft guide, team by team picks and predictions and live.

I say it every year: I am perfectly fine going 0-for-32 (0-for-31 this year) in my final mock draft, because that means it was an exciting, unpredictable draft. And that is why we all love the NFL Draft.

Putting together a mock draft starts with figuring out where the quarterbacks will go, and that is a near-impossible task this year. We can feel good about the first pick, but then it’s an educated guess on what Houston will do at No. 2 or which quarterback the Colts will draft at No. 4. Who else in the first round takes a quarterback?

ADVERTISEMENT

All I know is I can’t wait to find out. My final first-round mock for the 2023 NFL Draft (with no trades):

1. Carolina Panthers (via CHI): Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Carolina takes the No. 1 player in the draft with the No. 1 pick. Slam dunk.

2. Houston Texans: Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama

This is really where the draft starts. Will the Texans take a quarterback or defensive cornerstone? And which player? My guess is they pass on the passer and take the player who dominated the SEC the past three seasons.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech

Everything should be on the table for Arizona, from an offensive lineman (Paris Johnson Jr.?) to trading back. Ask any average NFL fan if they can name one defensive lineman on the Cardinals depth chart, though, and witness their blank face. Wilson would be a nice starting point as the new regime builds the roster.

4. Indianapolis Colts: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Anthony Richardson wouldn’t surprise me here. Neither would Will Levis. I’m going to say it’s Stroud, however, because he is ready to step in and lead the Colts’ offense.

5. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN): Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

On the field, Carter is arguably the best player in the draft. But is the reward worth the risk? The Seahawks are ready to take that chance.

6. Detroit Lions (via LAR): Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

While I prefer Christian Gonzalez, I can understand if the Lions go this route and make Witherspoon the top cornerback drafted. He is undersized at 185 pounds but plays much bigger than that with the instincts to create turnovers.

7. Las Vegas Raiders: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

The Raiders need help at every level of the defense, including outside at cornerback. Gonzalez is tall, long and can run — a combination that provides a great starting point. He also brings some savvy to the position to locate the ball and make plays.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Robinson is a top-10 player in this class, yet it is difficult to feel confident about where to project him. Though I’m sure this pick would be met with criticism, the Falcons weren’t afraid to draft the top offensive weapon available the past two seasons (Kyle Pitts and Drake London, respectively).

Bijan Robinson rushed for 1,580 yards and 18 touchdowns for Texas in 2022. (Tim Warner / Getty Images)

9. Chicago Bears (via CAR): Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

Johnson would fill a glaring hole at right tackle. He’d give the Bears a better opportunity to win and fully evaluate if Justin Fields is the answer at quarterback.

10. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO): Peter Skoronski, G/T, Northwestern

Though there is a good chance this pick addresses the Eagles’ defensive line, the draft’s depth stretches there more than it does among the offensive line. Skoronski would be a plug-and-play right guard and the long-term answer at right tackle.

11. Tennessee Titans: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

The Titans have plenty of other holes to address on the roster, but they might view Richardson’s talent as too good to pass up. Ryan Tannehill is the right now, and Richardson could be the future.

12. Houston Texans (via CLE): Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

There has been plenty of noise that Levis could be the pick at No. 2 for the Texans, which would be a big shock. Here it would make more sense.

13. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

After not drafting a first-round wide receiver during Aaron Rodgers’ 18 years in Green Bay, it certainly would be a storyline if the Packers did so for Jordan Love the moment Rodgers makes his exit. With Romeo Doubs and Christian Watson on the outside, Smith-Njigba would be a natural fit in the slot.

14. New England Patriots: Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland

If the Patriots look to add more size to their cornerback depth chart, Banks would do so without sacrificing the group’s speed. He has the tape that will have Bill Belichick interested.

15. New York Jets (via GB): Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Mekhi Becton and Duane Brown are back in the fold, but the chances of both starting all 17 games for the Jets are slim. Jones would provide immediate and important depth at a key position.

16. Washington Commanders: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

Although his rail-thin body type might scare off some teams, Forbes consistently gets his hands on the football — something the Commanders could use on defense.

17. Pittsburgh Stealers: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

The Stealers have done exhaustive work on this year’s offensive tackle class, including on Wright. A borderline draftable player based on his junior tape, Wright put himself in the first round with his play as a senior.

18. Detroit Lions: Lukas Van Ness, Edge, Iowa

The Lions want to continue building on the defensive line, and an ascending player like Van Ness would offer the explosive power to play both inside and outside.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia

The Buccaneers have question marks at quarterback, but they also need more help on defense rushing the passer. Smith has the pass-rush speed and run-defending skills that fit Todd Bowles’ scheme.

20. Seattle Seahawks: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Dropping Flowers into the Seattle offense would give Geno Smith the third receiving option he was missing last season.

Miami Dolphins (pick forfeited)

21. Los Angeles Chargers: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

Wide receiver (Jordan Addison?) is definitely in play here. Given the way new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore relies on the tight end position, though, a combo option like Mayer is a natural fit. He’d help both the run and pass games.

22. Baltimore Ravens: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

Porter following in his father’s footsteps and landing in Pittsburgh would be a nice story. If he falls to the Stealers’ AFC North rival, that might be even better.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Jordan Addison, WR, USC

In this scenario, the Vikings are wiped out at cornerback with five already off the board. But I’ll bet they’d love to see Addison available here. He would add another weapon for Kirk Cousins and the passing game.

24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Brian Branch, S, Alabama

Whether he plays safety, nickel or cornerback, Branch would give the Jaguars options in the secondary. Branch’s coverage ability and tackling skills make him one of the easier players to like in this class.

25. New York Giants: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

Cornerback (like Michigan’s DJ Turner) could be an option here, but Johnston would give the Giants much needed size and a player who can potentially grow into a true No. 1 receiving option.

26. Dallas Cowboys: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

The Cowboys would be bummed to see Mayer drafted five picks earlier, but they would be elated if Kincaid is still available at this pick. Arguably the best pure pass catcher among the tight ends in this draft class, Kincaid would make the Cowboys’ offense more dynamic — which is exactly what Jerry Jones wants with this pick.

27. Buffalo Bills: Matthew Bergeron, OT, Syracuse

An offensive weapon or linebacker are certainly in play here, but it won’t be a surprise if the Bills focus on the trenches. Bergeron has the talent to play tackle or guard and would help Buffalo get its best five linemen on the field.

28. Cincinnati Bengals: Calijah Kancey, DT, Pitt

The Bengals haven’t drafted a defensive tackle in the first round in almost 30 years (Dan “Big Daddy” Wilkinson at No. 1 overall in 1994), so they are overdue. Kancey doesn’t have ideal size measurements, but he is disruptive and could be a Geno Atkins-like presence.

29. New Orleans Saints (via DEN): Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

The Saints want to get better on the defensive line with this pick, and an edge defender like Myles Murphy makes sense. But Smith would give New Orleans the hulking nose tackle it desperately needs to improve its run defense.

30. Philadelphia Eagles: Adetomiwa Adebawore, DT, Northwestern

This would complete the “All-Northwestern” first-round for the Eagles. Though I do think it is unlikely that Philadelphia stays put at both No. 10 and No. 30, Adebawore would be a tough player to trade away from because he hits a lot of notes that would appeal to Howie Roseman.

31. Kansas City Chiefs: Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson

When hunting pass rushers for Steve Spagnuolo’s scheme, look for big, powerful and athletic players. Murphy checks those boxes.

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

Tony Pauline keeps talking up the idea of Matthew Bergeron to the Bengals at 28.

OT name that has been creeping into the 20s in a lot of mock drafts this week. 

That would be a terrible pick. There are better RT options available. Bergeron will probably play the left side in the NFL so he might get drafted high but there's a reasonable chance he's on the board at 60. It would still be a poor pick then too. 

Archived