Joseph Ossai appreciation thread ❤

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

It's not hyperbole. It is fan-fickleness at it's finest though. 

Old school/new school/whatever...he has been a part of making sure other teams don't run consistently. Wilson is the more valuable overall than any LB on the squad, but Pratt is the next. ADG isn't in the equation, I agree. 

I guess this constant "let (anybody) walk" is overused and not evaluative. Players do get changed out all of the time, but if one goes back to the draft for replacing--when it is not necessary to do so unless an immediate upgrade in skills is there--the new guy will take time to develop into what you already have. Never have understood this approach.   

It's a simple matter of evaluating resources and costs and the value. Some talented guys are going to have to move on not because we don't want them to stay or they don't want to, but because you can't afford to pay everyone under a salary cap. Bates is pricing himself out, Pratt may very well just be left out because we can't afford to keep him and Wilson. It's not personal. I like Pratt, I hope he stays and learns ro be a better in the moment teammate. But if not I wish him well except when he plays us.

Pratt kinda let me down there but am happy he apologized. Shit happens man. Seems like he’s had one foot out the door through the year via his comments on social media and what not, which sucks, cause he’s our best LB IMO. But it is what it is.

Ossai has a promising future. We all got hyped off that preseason game where he was harassing Brady last year before he got hurt, but he finally started putting it together towards the end of the year. Hope he didn’t fuck up his knee badly. He’s gonna be a good one. A big mistake, but he wasn’t the only one who screwed up out there. It is what it is. Go Eagles. I guess. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

It's a simple matter of evaluating resources and costs and the value. Some talented guys are going to have to move on not because we don't want them to stay or they don't want to, but because you can't afford to pay everyone under a salary cap. Bates is pricing himself out, Pratt may very well just be left out because we can't afford to keep him and Wilson. It's not personal. I like Pratt, I hope he stays and learns ro be a better in the moment teammate. But if not I wish him well except when he plays us.

It’s not all about Pratt. It’s this insane idea that every spare penny has to go to Joe Burrow. 

The cap is going up…Bates is in the ballpark…is Wilson Von Miller? Forgive me if I don’t name every last player who is upping a contract. 

The loot is there. It can be quantified. It will be a record year for Bengals revenue. Every one who is in their plans can get nice raises…and nobody has to be “on the cheap”. 

I am really glad that fans and media don’t get involved with spending the franchise money. They would only have Burrow and the practice squad if they did 

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

It’s not all about Pratt. It’s this insane idea that every spare penny has to go to Joe Burrow. 

The cap is going up…Bates is in the ballpark…is Wilson Von Miller? Forgive me if I don’t name every last player who is upping a contract. 

The loot is there. It can be quantified. It will be a record year for Bengals revenue. Every one who is in their plans can get nice raises…and nobody has to be “on the cheap”. 

I am really glad that fans and media don’t get involved with spending the franchise money. They would only have Burrow and the practice squad if they did 

The word is they are about to make Joe Burrow the highest paid QB in the league. 

Roquon Smith just got paid 100 million. Pratt and Wilson are not Smith, but his contract bumped their asking price. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The word is they are about to make Joe Burrow the highest paid QB in the league. 

Roquon Smith just got paid 100 million. Pratt and Wilson are not Smith, but his contract bumped their asking price. 

So what’s the frequency Kenneth? 

Are you saying no money for anyone else, or Miller and Pratt will have to take less because they are not Smith? 

If the standard is going to be framed by who the highest paid QB in the world is—as though that won’t change by this time next year—it is a standard that indicates the buyer has enough to afford it as well as the support staff. The most expensive car in the world is only as quality as the bolts holding it together.

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

So what’s the frequency Kenneth? 

Are you saying no money for anyone else, or Miller and Pratt will have to take less because they are not Smith? 

If the standard is going to be framed by who the highest paid QB in the world is—as though that won’t change by this time next year—it is a standard that indicates the buyer has enough to afford it as well as the support staff. The most expensive car in the world is only as quality as the bolts holding it together.

I'm suggesting that you can pay Pratt or Wilson but probably not both if you want to also keep Chase and Hiiggens. In addition to Burrow. I'm not sure many teams have 2 good line backers AND two top 10 WRs. Some tough decisions will have to be made. Yesterday's price is not today's price.

I have no idea why it's an argument 

28 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Wow.  No one said anything about Burrow getting it all. 

Burrow

Chase

Higgins

Wilson

The defensive backfield is gonna cost more even without Bates.  Awuzie is up after next season.  DJ Reader too. 

Good teams can't pay everyone.  The cap is real and the obnoxious amounts of money QBs and WRs are getting is going to push the Bengals to that number.  Someone isn't coming back.  Jessie Bates is almost 100% gone.  $10M?  That's a big gap, not in the ballpark.  Other dynasties have faced the same reality.  Stealers, Patriots, etc.   Good players end up walking.  Do you think the Chiefs want a defensive backfield full of rookies?  Nope.  They had to save money somewhere.  There isn't going to be enough money for everyone.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Wow.  No one said anything about Burrow getting it all. 

Burrow

Chase

Higgins

Wilson

The defensive backfield is gonna cost more even without Bates.  Awuzie is up after next season.  DJ Reader too. 

Good teams can't pay everyone.  The cap is real and the obnoxious amounts of money QBs and WRs are getting is going to push the Bengals to that number.  Someone isn't coming back.  Jessie Bates is almost 100% gone.  $10M?  That's a big gap, not in the ballpark.  Other dynasties have faced the same reality.  Stealers, Patriots, etc.   Good players end up walking.  Do you think the Chiefs want a defensive backfield full of rookies?  Nope.  They had to save money somewhere.  There isn't going to be enough money for everyone.

Andy Ried said he wanted Hill back but the price was too much.

If Joe Burrow is the franchise changing QB we all believe he is, then the Bengals use the money that they have apparently raised to expand the scouting department so we can find good players lower in the draft because we're not picking in the top as long as Joe is here and healthy. That's where we're going to have to invest our resources as there is no cap on the scouting department themselves

Just now, Jamie_B said:

If Joe Burrow is the franchise changing QB we all believe he is, then the Bengals use the money that they have apparently raised to expand the scouting department so we can find good players lower in the draft because we're not picking in the top as long as Joe is here and healthy. That's where we're going to have to invest our resources as there is no cap on the scouting department themselves

We have improved our drafting over the past few years overall. But the big difference has been selective and productive free agents we have signed. That is as big a piece to the puzzle as the draft. 

18 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Good to hear.  If he can say he was wrong, I'm good with that.  As a player Pratt will be missed if he's gone.  We'll see how the dollars and cents work out.

Says he want to play with a QB that can win a SB. He has a shot at that here. Well see if he means it as far as what he said about chasing money. If he does well have a better chance at keeping him than we do Bates

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We have improved our drafting over the past few years overall. But the big difference has been selective and productive free agents we have signed. That is as big a piece to the puzzle as the draft. 

Oh for sure it's gotten better in the draft and in FA, we still have room for improvement though as some of the higher costing FAs didn't work out, thinking of that Minn CB that maybe played in 5 games max. 

I still feel good about the direction and future of this team, but as we all know sometimes the Browns get in the way

I think the biggest priorities to re-sign this off-season are ...

1. Hurst

2. Perine

3. Pratt

4. Flowers 

In that order.

I would let Bates walk as his 1st rd replacement is already on the roster and his money is better spent on Higgins next year, so that JB can retain both of his top WRs (the #1 franchise priority imo). 

Would like to see Mr Jesus' clip mentioned above.

Ossai would not have made the hit if the refs had not set it up with 5th down

and a bullshit pass interference call.

Among other things.

A random thought of mine is that if that had been Joe Burrow hit by a Chief it would not have been called.

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

As for Pratt, he sounds like he's willing to take a hometown Shiesty discount, so I would offer something like a 4 year / 26 million (6.5 per) and see if he bites. 

I'd think that's more what Hurst is gonna cost. Pratt imho is going to be a minimum of 10 per. 

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Says he want to play with a QB that can win a SB. He has a shot at that here. Well see if he means it as far as what he said about chasing money. If he does well have a better chance at keeping him than we do Bates

He says that now, but his agent will be in his ear all spring and summer. It’s not like I blame a guy for getting his money.  We’re talking life changing money.  

I'm starting to wonder if we are going to resign Mixon.

Perine got the majority of the snaps in the Chiefs game and is more than capable of being the feature back.

Also Chris Evans has been a healthy scratch for multiple games this year.

Almost seems as if the backfield will consists of Perine and Evans next season.

Archived