Thoughts 24 Hours Later

I’m calmed down enough about the officiating to share my thoughts.  

1) Very disappointed in the result obviously but I appreciate the fight the Bengals showed all season right up till the end.  This team has belief to go with their talent and I believe they will keep banging on the door until they break through.  

2) There’s no shame in losing to that opponent on the road by a FG.  It’s close every time we’ve played them with Burrow.  Mahomes played on one good leg with multiple receivers injured and still was effective.  He deserves credit for getting his team through.

3) It’s a shame we were ultimately undone by the o-line again.  The Chiefs pass rush made big plays throughout the game and dominated down the stretch when we had a chance to take the lead.  Only silver lining I can find is that Cappa and Jonah didn’t suffer injuries that will carry over to next year (unlike Collins).  Still, we need better contingency plans to hopefully avoid another repeat.

4) Our list of free agents is manageable heading into next season, but will be much harder in 2024.  I expect to lose Bates, Pratt, and probably Perine, but we should keep Bell, Hurst, and possibly Apple.  Hopefully, we can extend Burrow and another non-FA because the list of free agents in 2024 is scary (Higgins, Wilson, Reader, Awuzie, Jonah) and some tough decisions will need to be made.  

5) As far as coaching is concerned, the biggest question is whether Anarumo gets a HC job.  Losing Callahan would not be ideal, but losing Lou makes the defense very uncertain next year.  Hopefully it doesn’t happen.  

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The stories about Chad in the locker room during playoffs is way too much smoke to be nothing.  I like the guy, but he was a selfserving clown who lost his shit when he and the team couldn't back it up.  An earlier version of  Diggs. 

Yeah, that might be true. Those teams had a real void of leadership.  Still, his shit talking was laughable. 

19 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1) Very disappointed in the result obviously but I appreciate the fight the Bengals showed all season right up till the end.  This team has belief to go with their talent and I believe they will keep banging on the door until they break through.  

2) There’s no shame in losing to that opponent on the road by a FG.  It’s close every time we’ve played them with Burrow.  Mahomes played on one good leg with multiple receivers injured and still was effective.  He deserves credit for getting his team through.

3) It’s a shame we were ultimately undone by the o-line again.  The Chiefs pass rush made big plays throughout the game and dominated down the stretch when we had a chance to take the lead.  Only silver lining I can find is that Cappa and Jonah didn’t suffer injuries that will carry over to next year (unlike Collins).  Still, we need better contingency plans to hopefully avoid another repeat.

4) Our list of free agents is manageable heading into next season, but will be much harder in 2024.  I expect to lose Bates, Pratt, and probably Perine, but we should keep Bell, Hurst, and possibly Apple.  Hopefully, we can extend Burrow and another non-FA because the list of free agents in 2024 is scary (Higgins, Wilson, Reader, Awuzie, Jonah) and some tough decisions will need to be made.  

5) As far as coaching is concerned, the biggest question is whether Anarumo gets a HC job.  Losing Callahan would not be ideal, but losing Lou makes the defense very uncertain next year.  Hopefully it doesn’t happen.  

I would trade Apple for Pratt no problem. Prefer Carman over Williams but even better would be some 3rd option that's clearly ahead of both.  That won't be easy if it's even possible. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I would trade Apple for Pratt no problem. Prefer Carman over Williams but even better would be some 3rd option that's clearly ahead of both.  That won't be easy if it's even possible. 

I don’t know if Pratt wants to be here given some of his comments and actions this year.  I’m guessing they will only keep him or Wilson and their choice will be Wilson.  If Pratt gets a decent offer elsewhere I expect him to leave. 

I think Apple is possibly back.  It will depend on the price and if he draws outside interest, both of which are hard to gauge.  Another one year deal like he signed in the past is possible, but he might go if he doesn’t think he’ll start.  

Carman has shown he can play LT reasonably well, but the sample size is too small to think he takes the job right now.  Jonah is already locked up for 2023 and all bets are off beyond that.  Cost will certainly be a factor and I agree that another OT option would be a good idea.  RT is probably more of an immediate concern both next year and going forward.  I’m leaning towards that being an early pick in April (1sr or 2nd).

11 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

KC was injured too.  Down to three WR, none of which were starters.  Defensive backfield was all banged up and mostly rookies.  Top LB went out in the middle of the game. 

Depth is important.  KC had guys who stepped in and got the job done.  The Bengals did not. 

They lost by 3 points.  What an absolute total dereliction of duty!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don’t know if Pratt wants to be here given some of his comments and actions this year.  I’m guessing they will only keep him or Wilson and their choice will be Wilson.  If Pratt gets a decent offer elsewhere I expect him to leave. 

I think Apple is possibly back.  It will depend on the price and if he draws outside interest, both of which are hard to gauge.  Another one year deal like he signed in the past is possible, but he might go if he doesn’t think he’ll start.  

Carman has shown he can play LT reasonably well, but the sample size is too small to think he takes the job right now.  Jonah is already locked up for 2023 and all bets are off beyond that.  Cost will certainly be a factor and I agree that another OT option would be a good idea.  RT is probably more of an immediate concern both next year and going forward.  I’m leaning towards that being an early pick in April (1sr or 2nd).

RT yes..

Collins will be gone..to iffy..

CB and pass rusher in the mix

as allways..

There was a 2nd & 3 late in the game that is haunting me. We took 2 shots down field or at least they were low % passes if I recall. I felt like we were running the ball good enough late in the game to pick up 3 yards in 2 tries. I think it might've been that 2nd to last drive of the game, I'm not gonna go back and watch. That shit is bugging me, reminded me of the last drive of the SB last year. 

5 minutes ago, saphead said:

There was a 2nd & 3 late in the game that is haunting me. We took 2 shots down field or at least they were low % passes if I recall. I felt like we were running the ball good enough late in the game to pick up 3 yards in 2 tries. I think it might've been that 2nd to last drive of the game, I'm not gonna go back and watch. That shit is bugging me, reminded me of the last drive of the SB last year. 

Yes.  The one thing that we had control of (play calling), and we shit the bed on those two plays.  

16 minutes ago, saphead said:

100%

I understand taking a shot on 2nd and 3, but another on 3rd and 3?   Why?   They were better served with a long time consuming  drive and they tried to go for it all?   Didn’t understand or like that decision. 

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Welcome back.

I go back to even before the... game?

the NFL Powers that Be deem

Chiefs v Buffalo on neutral ground.

Chiefs v Bengals in KC with the home field advantage which did,

arguably, play into the outcome.

What's up with that?

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Welcome back.

I go back to even before the... game?

the NFL Powers that Be deem

Chiefs v Buffalo on neutral ground.

Chiefs v Bengals in KC with the home field advantage which did,

arguably, play into the outcome.

What's up with that?

Even with a win over Buffalo in the “cancelled” game, KC still would have ended up with a better record than the Bengals…and would have hosted the game.  

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Even with a win over Buffalo in the “cancelled” game, KC still would have ended up with a better record than the Bengals…and would have hosted the game.  

True and all the 20/20 hindsight and what if stuff but still, imho,

scheduling a Buffalo v Chiefs in a neutral site and Bengals v Chiefs

at KC for the home town advantage is wonky as hell from the NFL Powers That Be.

What's up with that?

Whatever... still not completely over it but I am out of it.

My perception of NFL football has certainly been altered.

21 hours ago, saphead said:

Yep. I love Zac, and I love that he's unpredictable and willing to take chances, but sometimes he's not smart about it. By any conceivable metric, we just needed to keep moving the sticks and burning the clock and he goes risky for some reason. Reminds me of the Philly special in the first Ravens game. 1st and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line, we're running with authority, and he starts dialing up risky gadget plays. We ended up with no points on that critical possession and then lost the game. Our whole playoff trajectory changes if we win that game. We've got a great team and organization, but there's things that can be cleaned up.

Archived