Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

57 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They'll get the deal done with Burrow before this season. And likely Higgins too. I doubt they would use a tag on Wilson or Reader but they'd be next in line for extensions. 

If they keep Reader. They typically don't like to give 3rd contracts 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The issue with Higgins is his agent from what I’ve heard.  I can see him going the route of Jesse Bates, unfortunately.

If that's the way it goes, oh well. I'm not sure it's wise to tie up all that money in WR's anyway with so many other contracts expiring over the next 2-3 years. I like Higgins but I assumed he wasn't staying as soon as they drafted Chase.

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I doubt Burrow’s agent will let him take the field in Week 1 without a new contract.  Mahomes and Allen both got new deals after their 3rd season and I expect the same for Joe (and Herbert).  

I doubt Burrow's agent has any influence on Joe's thoughts about playing under his current deal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I doubt Burrow’s agent will let him take the field in Week 1 without a new contract.  Mahomes and Allen both got new deals after their 3rd season and I expect the same for Joe (and Herbert).  

I doubt Burrow's agent has any influence on Joe's thoughts about playing under his current deal. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

If they keep Reader. They typically don't like to give 3rd contracts 

How many contracts did Huber get? It depends on how well the player is performing and whether he's old by the standards of his position. NT is a job which depends on size and strength more than mobility. That's why guys like Vince Wilfork or Ted Washington were effective at an advanced age. They played 13 and 17 seasons respectively. Reader is going into his 8th season and played very well last year. The team shouldn't be afraid to extend him a couple of years for numbers similar to what he currently makes. The team should be more afraid of losing a very good DT if they have to replace him, whether with Tupou or a rookie or another free agent.

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yeah, the idea of Burrow holding out is silly. The CBA includes pretty severe penalties for holding out during training camp, let alone missing games. So players in general don't try it. And Burrow is about the least likely guy in the NFL to hold out. 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

How many contracts did Huber get? It depends on how well the player is performing and whether he's old by the standards of his position. NT is a job which depends on size and strength more than mobility. That's why guys like Vince Wilfork or Ted Washington were effective at an advanced age. They played 13 and 17 seasons respectively. Reader is going into his 8th season and played very well last year. The team shouldn't be afraid to extend him a couple of years for numbers similar to what he currently makes. The team should be more afraid of losing a very good DT if they have to replace him, whether with Tupou or a rookie or another free agent.

Comparing a kicker to a DT is silly. Kickers can play well into their 30s.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, the idea of Burrow holding out is silly. The CBA includes pretty severe penalties for holding out during training camp, let alone missing games. So players in general don't try it. And Burrow is about the least likely guy in the NFL to hold out. 

Yeah I can't imagine a scenario that would have him do that.  He's not married so we can rule out 100% wife-driven.  Happythoughts RT situation aside they've invested heavily in protecting him with the OL.  Maybe if he plays until he's 40 I could see him on another team for a last lap Brady style but aside from some heinous shit like Troy fucking him around like Whitworth I think he's a career Bengal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I can't imagine a scenario that would have him do that.  He's not married so we can rule out 100% wife-driven.  Happythoughts RT situation aside they've invested heavily in protecting him with the OL.  Maybe if he plays until he's 40 I could see him on another team for a last lap Brady style but aside from some heinous shit like Troy fucking him around like Whitworth I think he's a career Bengal.

As far as JBs career here.He has no say at all but Im sure he wants to keep hum as much anyone.

Why wouldn't you?

33 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

As far as JBs career here.He has no say at all but Im sure he wants to keep hum as much anyone.

Why wouldn't you?

I'm sure he wanted to keep Hurst & Perine too, far as that goes. There's a number where it doesn't make sense and a very real possibility Higgins will get those offers just like those other two did. Honestly he's more deserving of the big payday than both of them combined.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, Jamie_B said:

That's not just NFL owners, that's the ruling class. 

I don't know what layoffs Breer is referring to but if the NFL doesn't need their services they should be let go. Simple as that

11 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Well...that was strong...

Nobody here thinks Burrow is going to hold out.

As far as not giving players a contract that stretches past age 30, the team shouldn't be dogmatic about it. It makes more sense for positions that depend on speed, than on strength. Karras is already 30 but he shouldn't be in any danger of being replaced. Likewise with Reader who is now 28. The team should extend DJ unless they have a capable replacement in hand. My view is that Tupou is fine for depth but not close to Reader as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

As far as not giving players a contract that stretches past age 30, the team shouldn't be dogmatic about it. It makes more sense for positions that depend on speed, than on strength. Karras is already 30 but he shouldn't be in any danger of being replaced. Likewise with Reader who is now 28. The team should extend DJ unless they have a capable replacement in hand. My view is that Tupou is fine for depth but not close to Reader as a starter. 

Agree..

If Reader is a force again they should re-sign him ..

Would he accept a 2yr deal or do they go 3yrs?

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The post-30 year old body doesn't respond to injury like it does at 25, doesn't really matter what position they're playing. Still, if the guy doesn't have an injury history and is still playing well then go ahead and extend them but only for 2-3 years tops. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Volson is one big thick dude.

Look for him to improve much .

I was thinking the same thing...maybe its just the perspective/angle of the view, but dayum that boy looks like a f-ing beast!

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, claptonrocks said:

Volson is one big thick dude.

Look for him to improve much .

On 5/20/2023 at 5:19 PM, esjbh2 said:

I was thinking the same thing...maybe its just the perspective/angle of the view, but dayum that boy looks like a f-ing beast!

We may have found our ORT 2023.

1/2 :ninja: