Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Back when Jonah asked to be traded, there were reports (I think it was Breer or Shefter) that he would have a trade market if the Bengals wanted to move him. Various teams were mentioned with Jacksonville not even getting involved until Cam Robinson's PED suspension. It's a fact the Bengals didn't get an offer they accepted but it's not unreasonable to see who the potential trade partners would have been. PFF thought he'd go to Tampa as the replacement for Donovan Smith. In some mocks, I was able to trade him to the Colts and Commanders without any trouble. Quite a few teams could have used him on their left side if healthy. 

Keeping both Williams and Collins seems unlikely. The Bengals can keep Collins and Mixon until final cuts without owing them anything for 2023 if they don't look like contributors. Collins seemed to be moving pretty well this week so my current guess is he plays in a preseason game and isn't on PUP at the start of the year. He may have a trade market as well if he's able to play week 1. The O-line position where we should worry about our depth is C. We have a logjam of bodies at RT but we're screwed if Karras goes down. Trey Hill and Ben Brown have shown nothing in the NFL. 

The Vikings were trying to trade Cook before the draft but nobody wanted his contract. He may take a paycut to stay in Minnesota but if not is likely to be cut. They are trying to clear cap space so they can extend Justin Jefferson and an expensive RB is a luxury. 

If Collins is healthy and more importantly plays like he's capable of playing he will be RT1, no question.  I think he has the ability to be great.  It's his durability and willingness to put in the work that I'm less certain about.

You may be right about Karras and neither of the backups are on his level, but that's a position that seems to take a few years to grow into, Hill is only 23 so let's not throw him out just yet.  

Kinda feel like it's up to Pollack to get it out of these guys.  He's supposed to be a great coach but he has yet to field a great OL here.  The 2 really good players on the line were already good when they signed with us.  Give him some credit for Volson but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Back when Jonah asked to be traded, there were reports (I think it was Breer or Shefter) that he would have a trade market if the Bengals wanted to move him. Various teams were mentioned with Jacksonville not even getting involved until Cam Robinson's PED suspension. It's a fact the Bengals didn't get an offer they accepted but it's not unreasonable to see who the potential trade partners would have been. PFF thought he'd go to Tampa as the replacement for Donovan Smith. In some mocks, I was able to trade him to the Colts and Commanders without any trouble. Quite a few teams could have used him on their left side if healthy. 

Keeping both Williams and Collins seems unlikely. The Bengals can keep Collins and Mixon until final cuts without owing them anything for 2023 if they don't look like contributors. Collins seemed to be moving pretty well this week so my current guess is he plays in a preseason game and isn't on PUP at the start of the year. He may have a trade market as well if he's able to play week 1. The O-line position where we should worry about our depth is C. We have a logjam of bodies at RT but we're screwed if Karras goes down. Trey Hill and Ben Brown have shown nothing in the NFL. 

The Vikings were trying to trade Cook before the draft but nobody wanted his contract. He may take a paycut to stay in Minnesota but if not is likely to be cut. They are trying to clear cap space so they can extend Justin Jefferson and an expensive RB is a luxury. 

I remember those reports talking about "interested teams" I don't remember them naming any names. I took that to be his agent trying to drum up interest more than I took it as anything real. I suspect the Jax potential trade that was mentioned wasn't going to get us the full 12 million off the hook, because Robinson isn't going to be suspended the entire season so it wouldn't have been a good deal on Jax's side to take on the full 12 million. I speculate that's probably why the deal didn't get done.

Why would keeping both Williams and Collins be unlikely? I think that's probably true for more than just year, but both guys are under contract and Collins contract isn't prohibitive.and Collins has played both Tackle and Guard in this league so he could be a valuable backup. If either our RT (whoever that is) or Kappa go down again. We are in complete agreement about the Center position though. Lets hope that Karas doesn't get hurt. 

Well if Cooke does get cut because of his salary demands we wont pay him that contract either, so I would think it's more likely at this point of the season where most teams are set at the position that he takes the salary reduction and sticks in Minn. 

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If Collins is healthy and more importantly plays like he's capable of playing he will be RT1, no question.  I think he has the ability to be great.  It's his durability and willingness to put in the work that I'm less certain about.

You may be right about Karras and neither of the backups are on his level, but that's a position that seems to take a few years to grow into, Hill is only 23 so let's not throw him out just yet.  

Kinda feel like it's up to Pollack to get it out of these guys.  He's supposed to be a great coach but he has yet to field a great OL here.  The 2 really good players on the line were already good when they signed with us.  Give him some credit for Volson but that's about it.

If Carman turns around and plays like he has shown flashes of well give Pollack credit for him too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

If Carman turns around and plays like he has shown flashes of well give Pollack credit for him too.

No question, that'd be big.  Collins is an $8.5 mil cap hit in 2024.  Carman is $700k.  Collins may be the better natural athlete, IDK, but Carman seems to have found his fire.  I'll take the slightly less gifted athlete that brings it every down over someone coasting along on potential.  If he's ready to be a pro that money is better spent extending JC long term.

Obviously I'm pulling for the guy. He was playing with an attitude at the end of last year. His technique and recognition clearly need work but that desire to knock a defender on their ass is something that can't easily be taught.  Can only hope the rest will come to him now that he's getting on the field.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

White is preferred?

I have an orange cap I wear sometimes..

Clapton your comment made me want to take inventory of my Bengals headwear...I've determined I need another orange hat myself lol

IMG_20230531_145954980.jpg

• Upvote 1