Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Excellent read. These young gals 'get it' on how you build a brand and get value from it. 

It was an excellent read, but I would be interested to see the "internal survey data" that says the Bengals have the largest national fan base among all Ohio pro sports teams. I think the Browns would beg to differ. 

Not sure why browns fans would beg to differ. Burrow is nationally loved and carried fans with him and the team is on a two year run of success which will draw more casual fans too.  The browns haven’t been relevant for almost four decades and the people who remember their glory years in the 50s and 60s are literally dying off…

8 hours ago, membengal said:

Not sure why browns fans would beg to differ. Burrow is nationally loved and carried fans with him and the team is on a two year run of success which will draw more casual fans too.  The browns haven’t been relevant for almost four decades and the people who remember their glory years in the 50s and 60s are literally dying off…

And then they bet any shot at being relevant in the next 4-5 years for a known sex offender. Fans will put up with a lot and would even excuse his behavior but the price they paid will cripple them. He may be a good QB but he's not $250M guaranteed and 2 years worth of top draft picks good, even if he wasn't a creep. Dude is more likely to become a fugitive than win them a SB and deep down all the Cleveland fans know it.

Can't blame them at all for wanting off that sinking ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shebengal said:

It was an excellent read, but I would be interested to see the "internal survey data" that says the Bengals have the largest national fan base among all Ohio pro sports teams. I think the Browns would beg to differ. 

There are 7 Backer Clubs in Columbus alone. 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-backer-locations

On 6/6/2023 at 10:30 AM, membengal said:

is Columbus standing in for national? Because...lol to that data point. 

101 locations other than Columbus in OH. 200 nationwide. 

Internationally: 5 locations in Canada. Also one in New Zealand. 7 in Europe.  One in Israel. 

Sorry, it's actually 15 Central OH locations--including the North Fork Browns Backers of St. Louisville OH (pop 362)

Bengal locations in Central OH: Columbus Bengal Nation at The Pub in Gahanna (of which I am a member). 

Not that I really give a Tinker's Damn, but it was an illustration of the extent of that organization's deep fan base. Perhaps your assumption of how deep the present popularity of the Bengals may be--let's just say--way overestimated.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

101 locations other than Columbus in OH. 200 nationwide. 

Internationally: 5 locations in Canada. Also one in New Zealand. 7 in Europe.  One in Israel. 

Sorry, it's actually 15 Central OH locations--including the North Fork Browns Backers of St. Louisville OH (pop 362)

Bengal locations in Central OH: Columbus Bengal Nation at The Pub in Gahanna (of which I am a member). 

Not that I really give a Tinker's Damn, but it was an illustration of the extent of that organization's deep fan base. Perhaps your assumption of how deep the present popularity of the Bengals may be--let's just say--way overestimated.  

That may verify it, but it sure as hell doesn't explain it  :DudeComeOn-min:

+1 for effort 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That may verify it, but it sure as hell doesn't explain it  :DudeComeOn-min:

+1 for effort 

There cannot be a real explanation. I always wondered why there were so many more of them in Columbus than our side (or Dayton for that matter). Some of it was likely “my Dad loved them so I do too.” Also THE imports half of the college-age population each year from NE Ohio. When they graduate/drop out, they tend to stay in the area—hence their allegiance remains as well. 

I suspect much of the nationwide presence of them could be due to migration (jobs, etc). When I lived in Vegas, I ran across a boatload of ex-pats. Everybody was from Elyria..Akron..Medina…

I have also come to the conclusion that “fandom” no longer necessitates actual commitment. Cool gear=“I’m a fan”…or “I like Mahomes”= “I’m a fan”..until the next shiny thing attracts attention. Money is always green, so if a franchise can make coin and/or “fans” from said cool gear or names, it is as broad as it is long, I reckon. 

The Cleveland Football Team does, it appears, have more actual “fans”…because their gear or names certainly isn’t driving anything. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There cannot be a real explanation. I always wondered why there were so many more of them in Columbus than our side (or Dayton for that matter). Some of it was likely “my Dad loved them so I do too.” Also THE imports half of the college-age population each year from NE Ohio. When they graduate/drop out, they tend to stay in the area—hence their allegiance remains as well. 

The Cleveland Football Team does, it appears, have more actual “fans”…because their gear or names certainly isn’t driving anything. 

Hubby came down to go to OSU and son falls into the category of "My dad loves them so I do, too." Same with the Cavs and Guardians. 

• Upvote 2

I may have posted this photo previously but the story behind it just got more interesting.

20230607_130416.jpg

Following our playoff victory in Buffalo, this photo came to me via either FB or Twitter.   It's stunning.

I reached out to the Bengals yesterday to see if they knew the photographer.  I wanted to give him/her credit and contact them to purchase a reprint to frame.  The team did not disappoint as they got me in touch this afternoon with the gent who snapped this.

Photo Credit: Seth Tanner

Seth provided me a high-res copy of the photo for free and gave me permission to use it as long as I don't use it commercially.

Amazing what you can accomplish just by asking. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4