Super Bowl LVII Thread

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It is baked in. There is no going back. We watch or we don’t; they have no concerns. 

They won't, until they do.  The NFL have always rejected sports betting, refusing to acknowledge it even exists. Then suddenly bookies have become one of their major advertisers. 

That's a fundamental change that I suspect will make them vulnerable. It's a lot harder to deny that kind of corruption when they're potentially benefiting from it so directly.

I don't expect anything to happen quickly but these accusations carry a lot more weight now. 

31 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Does it look to anyone else like Gronk's kick was good? He's only kicking from the 15 yard line.

Yes! I admit I was half asleep and no glasses on - and I didn't know what was going on with this thing - it happened so fast, I was thinking 'what just happened?' But it looked like it was good to me.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Does it look to anyone else like Gronk's kick was good? He's only kicking from the 15 yard line.

The internet agrees with you.  I guess there's a buzz about whether the kick was good or not.  I'm guessing it was all part of the marketing strategy to create more exposure.  I mean, we are talking about it the next day, right?  They covered their bases by awarding "prizes" regardless.  Controversy/buzz is marketing 101...and the NFL seems to understand that too.

56 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I watched a small portion of the post-game award ceremony and I think it was Bradshaw that mentioned "SB Dynasty".  I threw up in mouth a little and switched channels.  I guess the NFL has anointed KC the new NE, and Mahomes the new Brady.  How exciting!   :ph34r:

On a positive note, the KC owner has an "easy on the eyes" family.

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I can't believe they chose the SuperBowl to try a brand new turf

Yeah, that was crazy.  I am curious what others thought/saw/remembered...it seemed to me that the field issues either only occurred in the 2nd half or did they just get worse by then?  My memory sucks, so I was basically curious if there were traction issues in the first half and I just didn't notice/remember.

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

The internet agrees with you.  I guess there's a buzz about whether the kick was good or not.  I'm guessing it was all part of the marketing strategy to create more exposure.  I mean, we are talking about it the next day, right?  They covered their bases by awarding "prizes" regardless.  Controversy/buzz is marketing 101...and the NFL seems to understand that too.

Yeah, that was crazy.  I am curious what others thought/saw/remembered...it seemed to me that the field issues either only occurred in the 2nd half or did they just get worse by then?  My memory sucks, so I was basically curious if there were traction issues in the first half and I just didn't notice/remember.

They mentioned that Hurts switched up his cleats in the first half due to traction issues and that the whole field was painted. I don’t know why more players didn’t switch cleats, but the issues seemed to get worse as the game went on.

11 hours ago, Shebengal said:

They mentioned that Hurts switched up his cleats in the first half due to traction issues and that the whole field was painted. I don’t know why more players didn’t switch cleats, but the issues seemed to get worse as the game went on.

I've always wondered that - don't they check that stuff in pre-game warmups?

23 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

W T F 

Think the word he was looking for is "evidence" but hey y'know sure, "ammo", "conspiracy theory", Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia, "tinfoil hat", there is no war in Ba Sing Se, much shield, very integrities.

Whatevs. :shrug:

On 2/15/2023 at 1:45 AM, T-Dub said:

Think the word he was looking for is "evidence" but hey y'know sure, "ammo", "conspiracy theory", Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia, "tinfoil hat", there is no war in Ba Sing Se, much shield, very integrities.

Whatevs. :shrug:

Some folks on this board were gasping and clutching their pearls at the suggestion that the NFL might not be totally on the up and up. 

Hear me now, believe me later; any time you have that much money at play, there is and will always be corruption. 

Always. 

Without exception. 

10 hours ago, Elflocko said:

Some folks on this board were gasping and clutching their pearls at the suggestion that the NFL might not be totally on the up and up. 

Hear me now, believe me later; any time you have that much money at play, there is and will be corruption. 

Always. 

Without exception. 

All the ties and sponsorships with the fast-growing betting companies only add fuel to the fire too IMHO.  NFL gaining in popularity vs other sports.  NFL contracts thru the roof.  NFL mega showcase stadiums.  Mo money, mo money, mo money = Mo corruption? 

9 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

All the ties and sponsorships with the fast-growing betting companies only add fuel to the fire too IMHO.  NFL gaining in popularity vs other sports.  NFL contracts thru the roof.  NFL mega showcase stadiums.  Mo money, mo money, mo money = Mo corruption? 

Always. Without exception. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived