Ken Riley

I forgot that he never even played corner until he got to the NFL, which makes the delay in inducting him even more egregious. So very happy for his family and the fan base that he got in, but the fact he died before they recognized him is bullshit. 

First of all - this is fantastic!

Sour apples and Captain Obvious - it's so dumb that it took this long, and that the only reason he FINALLY got proper consideration is because of the team's recent success. One has nothing to do with the other, and so many other guys getting cheated because the lost 90's.

In many ways, he would be more classified as a present day CB. Had incredible speed, fluidity, anticipation and instincts in coverage—and didn’t have to depend on physicality as much. So bruisers like Blount and Brown were HoF’ers long before him—but today would be left in the dust by Ken, because of the modern rules. 

The announcement was a big day for Ohio, as not only did the Rattler finally get his call, but Current Browns' Tackle Joe Thomas (2007-17) was also announced. Riley is the third Bengal, joining Anthony (Class of 1998) and PB (1967), while Thomas is the first ever member of Cleveland's Football Team to be tapped for the Hall.

Both are deserving. I just wish Riley, who was WAAAY overdue for this honor, had been selected a 3-4 years ago so that he would've been alive to see this. The Hall let him pass away thinking he was unworthy of this honor.... criminal.

Kenny, Isaac and Willie should be on the Hall's short list now. Uncertain if Cleveland's Football Team has anyone else Hall-worthy yet, considering their short history.

4 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

The announcement was a big day for Ohio, as not only did the Rattler finally get his call, but Current Browns' Tackle Joe Thomas (2007-17) was also announced. Riley is the third Bengal, joining Anthony (Class of 1998) and PB (1967), while Thomas is the first ever member of Cleveland's Football Team to be tapped for the Hall.

Both are deserving. I just wish Riley, who was WAAAY overdue for this honor, had been selected a 3-4 years ago so that he would've been alive to see this. The Hall let him pass away thinking he was unworthy of this honor.... criminal.

Kenny, Isaac and Willie should be on the Hall's short list now. Uncertain if Cleveland's Football Team has anyone else Hall-worthy yet, considering their short history.

I feel Thomas is overrated, same with Boselli. As a Bengals fan I would have preferred Big Willie, hopefully he will get in sooner than later.

33 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I feel Thomas is overrated, same with Boselli. As a Bengals fan I would have preferred Big Willie, hopefully he will get in sooner than later.

Agree about Boselli

Bit of a stretch imo..

Joe Thomas was a lock..

He was a great LT for many years.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I may be underrating, but Willie was really good…just not Pro Football HoF really good. 

The Hall has never super-defined offensive line positions. But drill it down on one’s own for RT’s, and you find some names—a lot of them from my earlier era:

Ron Yary 

Jackie Slater

Rayfield Wright

Dan Dierdorf

And older:

Forrest Gregg

Ron Mix

Mike McCormick 

Different eras, different physical requirements, to be sure. But would—apples to apples—Willie be in any of those classes?

Dunno.  

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I may be underrating, but Willie was really good…just not Pro Football HoF really good. 

The Hall has never super-defined offensive line positions. But drill it down on one’s own for RT’s, and you find some names—a lot of them from my earlier era:

Ron Yary 

Jackie Slater

Rayfield Wright

Dan Dierdorf

And older:

Forrest Gregg

Ron Mix

Mike McCormick 

Different eras, different physical requirements, to be sure. But would—apples to apples—Willie be in any of those classes?

Dunno.  

I would say yes, he was definitely one of the best players at his position in his era.

He played in 195 games and only gave up 16 sacks his entire career, he went 3 seasons 1999-2001 without giving up a sack. He was a 4 x Pro Bowler and 3 x All Pro, while playing for, what most media and fans, considered to be one of the worst franchises in the NFL.

If Anderson played for a darling franchise like the Cowboys, Stealers, Raiders, or Packers he would be considered a lock, imo.

Also, the RT position is underrated and disrespected. The thought that if the players that played weren't good enough to play LT, but that's not true. 

Here's an excerpt from a Football Outsiders article about Anderson and other Bengals case for the HOF:

"A better argument for Anderson is that his career accomplishments are roughly on par with those of Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson, and Kevin Mawae, a trio of recently enshrined offensive linemen with long careers who had the benefit of playing on more successful/popular teams. Fitted among this tier of players, Anderson's case looks much stronger. Anderson is also helping himself by being an engaging social media personality, which will keep him in voters' minds."

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2021/hall-fame-debates-bengals-bonanza

21 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Ron Yary 

Jackie Slater

Rayfield Wright

Dan Dierdorf

And older:

Forrest Gregg

Ron Mix

Mike McCormick 

Dunno.  

I would say he would be a top tackle in any era..

Archived