It should had been us...

Thinking about our game and the Superbowl after a day, and how the Eagles played, I am convinced we would beat the Eagles--and this isn't from the annoyed Bengals fan side.  Hurts is a lot like Lamar Jackson, so we have experienced running QBs and how to contain. Our run defense is good enough to temper their running game, and I am positive Mixon and Perine would find holes. And obviously our offense would provide points.  Of course  the equalizer is their defensive line against our o-linen but we done that and won.

Just some thoughts--i got to get back  to work...

21 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Playing devil advocate here..

Why was it a bad call if Bradbury admitted he was guilty of it..

Just sayin..

Because they weren't calling that kind of stuff for the other 55 minutes?  

He's smart enough to see what happens when you complain.  Too bad some of our guys aren't.

I stuck to my guns and didn't watch it.  Not as much  boycotting as I simply was not interested.  Still feel bad about the end of our season.

Throw in the utter disrespect of no MVP votes for Joe and no Coach of the Year votes for Zac.

I've read some stuff online and that's about it.

I guess my bottom line feeling now is The Shield has been passed.

The Super Bowl winner was chosen long before the game was played.

And the NFL PTB made damn sure we didn't mess it up.

Like I have said, the NFL doesn't care if you complain, don't complain, go along with everything. They have the firmest of strangleholds on a public in the history of sports. 

The money from last night is already in the bank. And they know it will be there after the next SB. 

Figure eventually the Bengals will either play so lights out and destroy every team in the playoffs so that last plays don't matter; or become one of the favs in New York so that those last plays become in-their-pocket certainties. 

I'll be betting on the former...if such a scenario in this league can ever exist. The latter is pissing in the wind. 

58 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Unless you can tell me that Willams and Cappa would have been 100% back I'm not convinced we would have won.

I admit, Jamie, I probably couldn't  be able to confirm that, it is still just my opinion though. There would still  be myriad variables in play. Would Cappa an Jonah be close to at least 80%? Would Zac and the rest of the staff learn from the loss from the Rams? 

Not trying  to get flamed--its just I wanted to say something.  Hell, it's been years  since I've even started a thread...

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Unless you can tell me that Willams and Cappa would have been 100% back I'm not convinced we would have won.

FWIW I'm not sure I want Jonah back, at least not as a starter.  IDK if Carman is a starter either but he plays with an attitude & can move people.

Jonah is awful, not sure why everyone gives him a pass but wants to run Carman out of town. 

Last season Williams gave up a league leading 13 sacks, 6 hits, and 26 hurries. He should have benched based on his production, but his draft status and other factors kept that from happening. He seems to work hard and all, but he's just not that good at playing LT in the NFL.

If the Bengals want to get serious about improving the oline getting rid of Jonah Williams or moving him to another position is the first step.

For how good or bad this offensive line is, there is another flaw—in the passing game at least:

After watching the SB, and noticing the relative ease of escapability both QB’s displayed, it reminded me just how far behind in this area Burrow is. 

Realizing the blasphemy written, just watch him sometime. His feel for pressure is only OK, and he has this maddening habit of always running on angles towards the collapsing pocket, as opposed to short loops away. By comparison, Hurts never allowed himself to be boxed in by two defensive linemen—rather looping away. Burrow finds the running escape path straight ahead decent enough, but isn’t really all that great scrambling to the outside—like Kermit. 

Just another observation from a different angle 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

For how good or bad this offensive line is, there is another flaw—in the passing game at least:

After watching the SB, and noticing the relative ease of escapability both QB’s displayed, it reminded me just how far behind in this area Burrow is. 

Realizing the blasphemy written, just watch him sometime. His feel for pressure is only OK, and he has this maddening habit of always running on angles towards the collapsing pocket, as opposed to short loops away. By comparison, Hurts never allowed himself to be boxed in by two defensive linemen—rather looping away. Burrow finds the running escape path straight ahead decent enough, but isn’t really all that great scrambling to the outside—like Kermit. 

Just another observation from a different angle 

I understand what you are saying but if Joe had the Oline of KC or Philly would he be different?  

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The biggest thing I noticed was how well Andy Reid had schemed to get guys wide open. Something I'd like to see our O do alot more of.

I read somewhere they took that from someone (Jacksonville?) that played the Eagles earlier in the year and had success with it.  I love that coaches watch film and take things from other teams that work.  I think Callihan said we did that with the fake screen/TD to Hurst vs. the Ravens

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Looking back to the beginning of the season most of us were happy with the Oline free agents brought in but felt the job was incomplete and there were still many issues that were not fixed and that killed the team in the end.

Collins never being healthy didn't help much.  Getting bum-ass Cordy Glenn vibes from him but I guess we'll see how he shows up for camp.  I'd sure as shit prepare to cut him if he turns up anything other than 100% ready to work.  He can go convalesce somewhere else.

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I understand what you are saying but if Joe had the Oline of KC or Philly would he be different?  

It goes beyond that, I think. There were breakdowns in the Eagle front five…and Hurts made some very good play-extending moves. 

Kermit did likewise. 

Just watch Burrow: even when there is even OK protection—which breaks down—he still has issues making escape routes to keep plays going. Basically—unless he really makes strides going forward—the Bengals don’t exactly have Fran Tarkenton on the field 

Archived