RB Offseason 2023

6 minutes ago, A Rock said:

First priority has got to be o line. I'd cringe when they'd go into a no back set only needing a few yards for a 1st down, wondering who was going to blow the assignment resulting in a sack and killing a critical drive. They trusted Burrow more than the backs (and rightly so), but couldn't understand not giving him better misdirection and screen options. I think that was the difference for the Chiefs. Jerick McKinnon was huge for them all down the stretch. Which brings me to a question. Why didn't we use Chris Evans more? On four targets last year, he caught three for 38 yards and a touchdown. Of his 17 targets his first year, he caught 15 of them for 151 yards and 2 touchdowns. I obviously looked that up, I have no problem admitting I'm no expert. I only know what I see on game days. I think he got hurt against the Panthers, but I have no idea to what extent because I never hear ANYTHING about this guy.

Chris Evans is an enigma. He didn't get a carry last year. At the start of 2022 I was telling people he would be the starter in 2023. Im not sure if its injury or something else but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's a cut next year. 

• Upvote 1

I believe there are going to be more than a few RBs available in the FA or the middle rounds of the draft (3rd-round or later) that can give the Bengals what Mixon gave then or better (hopefully better in pass-pro) and I don't think the need better with the emphasis on the passing game. 

I would not select a RB in round one, even if they were the top-rated remaining guy in the draft.  I would look at OT, EDGE, CB and even TE ahead of a ball-carrier and there should be more than suitable ones of those there when the Bengals pick.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I thought the issue with Evans was that he's best as a receiving threat but can't do the necessary blitz pickups?

Bengals are probably only going to carry 4 RBs and I wouldn't mind if one of them was a FB. 

And Mixon is good at blitz pickups? I think the team could have utilized his strengths on sweeps or screens especially when the OL was struggling. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And Mixon is good at blitz pickups? I think the team could have utilized his strengths on sweeps or screens especially when the OL was struggling. 

Mixon and blitz blocking are not in the same stratosphere..

He's bad at it....real bad.

That's why his usefullness is getting stagnent here..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No, Mixon is terrible at pass protection. That's why Perine comes in on 3rd down. Evans lost the 3rd down role to Perine, not Mixon. 

• Upvote 1

• MichaelWeston changed the title to RB Offseason 2023
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Hasn't the RB room been around for a while?  I was thinking Holyfield was the youngest and he is turning 25.  Too many guys that are not moving up and should be moving out.

Get some new blood in there.

Evans?

Interesting comment about him being in the dog house.

Dunno.  and dunno if there is anything to it.

Mixon will not be back under his current contract ($10 million salary/bonuses).  He will have to take a pay cut or he will be released.  I could see something like half of his current deal with incentives possible.  Perrine is a free agent and there’s a good chance he’ll sign elsewhere.  His last contract was a bargain (2 years, $3.3 million) and this contract is probably his last chance to cash in.  He also might want a chance to start or at least have a bigger role.  Of course, cutting Mixon would mean more money available to keep Perrine, but it will get interesting if both depart.  

57 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mixon will not be back under his current contract ($10 million salary/bonuses).  He will have to take a pay cut or he will be released.  I could see something like half of his current deal with incentives possible.  Perrine is a free agent and there’s a good chance he’ll sign elsewhere.  His last contract was a bargain (2 years, $3.3 million) and this contract is probably his last chance to cash in.  He also might want a chance to start or at least have a bigger role.  Of course, cutting Mixon would mean more money available to keep Perrine, but it will get interesting if both depart.  

I expect Perine will be back, with a modest raise. There isn't much demand for veteran RBs around the league and backup caliber players don't make a whole lot. I doubt anyone outbids us for Samaje. The team should release Mixon and draft a replacement. It would be a kindness to Joe to release him now at the beginning of free agency instead of waiting until after the draft. 

29 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Blocks so poorly he essentially was benched in the AFC title game. 

I'm with you, kinda funny that actually running the ball is 3rd place behind blocking and hands for the next candidate but I guess that's where it's at