RB Offseason 2023

Due to the position being devalued, there hasn't been a RB drafted higher than #24 since 2018. This class of RB is considered pretty deep overall, but Bijan Robinson is considered the best RB to come along in years. If Robinson were somehow still available at #28, would you want the Bengals to draft him?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dex said:

Due to the position being devalued, there hasn't been a RB drafted higher than #24 since 2018. This class of RB is considered pretty deep overall, but Bijan Robinson is considered the best RB to come along in years. If Robinson were somehow still available at #28, would you want the Bengals to draft him?

No, but maybe trade with someone who does.  A mid/higher second rounder and a third (hopefully)

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, dex said:

Maybe. Depends on who else is available and how free agency has gone.

7 hours ago, dex said:

If he were available at 28, Bengals would sprint that card up to Roger

• Upvote 1

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No idea really, but if the team does not value the position as it does others then they may pass or trade down. One could argue why was he not picked at the spots before ours? 

I just think they value really good players whenever they can get them.

End of day though, I can’t imagine he’s still sitting there when we get on the clock. I’d be pretty shocked.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I just think they value really good players whenever they can get them.

End of day though, I can’t imagine he’s still sitting there when we get on the clock. I’d be pretty shocked.  

If they have the chance ( doubtful) to draft Bijan Robinson they shoubt absolutelt do it.

Hes a powerful, shifty can catch and bllock...

Rookie deal on this kid would be an extremely cap friendly move for his talents..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

On Siruis NFL this morning they noted that the RB FA market is very quite, teams are looking to fill more 'critical' positions. Speaks to how teams perceive the RB position these days. 

That could be because the RBs and WRs free agent positions are considered weak this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:31 PM, sparky151 said:

I expect Perine will be back, with a modest raise. There isn't much demand for veteran RBs around the league and backup caliber players don't make a whole lot. I doubt anyone outbids us for Samaje. The team should release Mixon and draft a replacement. It would be a kindness to Joe to release him now at the beginning of free agency instead of waiting until after the draft. 

Perrine got 2 years, $7.5 million from Denver (with incentives of another $1 million).  That’s a pretty healthy contract and raise.  Not sure what they’ll do with Mixon, but they don’t have Perrine as a fall back option any longer.  

3 minutes ago, dex said:

Not a RB, but I get the feeling that Hurst is probably gone too. Going to have a lot of needs in this upcoming all-important draft.

If as a Super Bowl + AFC Championship team the last two seasons we need to get multiple starters out of the draft, that would be a total failure.  Maybe we'd need to have them as 2nd stringers (e.g. Chiefs), and maybe one position, but multiple would mean they've failed to maintain their "desirable destination" track record the past couple FA periods.

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Nixon isn't staying at his current salary and perine will easily be replaced obvious they want more speed both at safety and running back

Can you think of one example of the Bengals reworking an existing team contract? I can't. Other teams do it, Cincinnati does not.

They have their own contract structure that is not copied by any of the other 31 NFL teams. It is unique to the league.

33 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

What is obvious is that Burrow has never played with the kind of RB that suits his skill set in the NFL, which is a CEH type of scat back, who is part WR, part HB. 

Mixon can't pass protect, and Perine was not that quick in space. 

What makes you think Clyde can block to protect St Joseph? 

The hybrid RB you describe is McCaffery-like. That works, but not if the line cannot block long enough to get this “extra weapon” out in time to catch anything? 

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

What makes you think Clyde can block to protect St Joseph? 

The hybrid RB you describe is McCaffery-like. That works, but not if the line cannot block long enough to get this “extra weapon” out in time to catch anything? 

If they wanted that kind of RB, they could wait until the draft. If Bijan Robinson is still available in the mid 1st round, the Bengals could probably trade Tee Higgins for the draft slot needed. That assumes that they are unable to sign Higgins to an extension. They know what they are willing to pay in guaranteed money and by then they will know if Tee's agent will accept it. If not, then Higgins needs to be flipped for draft assets.