RB Offseason 2023

1 hour ago, A Rock said:

Completely agree. As badly as we need a RT, it looks like starting caliber ones will be long gone at 28. If this guy's still there I hope they grab him. The tape on him shows instinctual stop/start and cut skills that were very impressive, making guys right in front of him miss badly. Jerick McKinnon was a large part of why the Chiefs made it to, and won, the Super Bowl last year. Gibbs could fill that role, only he looks like a much better pure runner.

Tobin and staff at this point completely deserve the benefit of the doubt with the team picks. They have earned that. 
No team lands every pick or anywhere near it but we have done well over the past few years. So whomever they pick, I will let it play out. 

• Like 1

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/04/29/zac-taylor-names-joe-mixon-starting-rb-after-2023-nfl-draft/70165883007/

With the draft behind the Bengals, Zac Taylor names Joe Mixon the starting running back

After the NFL draft ended, with the Cincinnati Bengals' opportunity to add a starting running back behind them, head coach Zac Taylor officially named Joe Mixon the Bengals’ starter for 2023.

“I like Joe Mixon as our starting running back,” Taylor said. “We get him the ball a lot of different ways. Just because (former Bengals running back Samaje Perine) played more on third down than he did, didn't mean that his production really wavered. We're still going to throw him the football and hand him the football.

The Bengals had options to go in a different direction, but the busy part of the offseason wrapped up with Mixon still atop the depth chart. The last chance to add a ready-to-go starter was through the draft, and the Bengals' decision making showed where Mixon stands.

Potential starters didn't fall to the Bengals in the draft

On Saturday afternoon, after the Bengals drafted running back Chase Brown in the fifth round, Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan mentioned Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs.

The Bengals never got the chance to draft Gibbs, who ended up as the No. 12 overall pick in the draft. As Callahan looked at this year’s running back class as a whole, he praised Gibbs for his ability to be a dynamic playmaker in the passing game and called him a “really, really good player.”

Between the NFL combine and draft, Taylor, director of pro personnel Duke Tobin and executive vice president Katie Blackburn hadn’t directly answered where Mixon stood on the roster. Early in the offseason, the Bengals had a lot of interest in bringing Perine back. If he had re-signed with the Bengals, then maybe Mixon would have been cut.

If the Bengals had agreed to terms with a starting caliber running back on the free agent market, potentially David Montgomery, Jamaal Williams or Damien Harris, then Mixon’s future with the Bengals could have been in question. If the Bengals had drafted Gibbs, then they would have had a new running back who’s ready to be starter. Texas running back Roschon Johnson, a fourth-round pick, or Israel Abanikanda, a fifth-round pick who was selected before Brown, also would have given the Bengals a player who’s ready to immediately play significant snaps.

The Bengals didn’t have all of the answers for who their options would be at that position until the end of the day on Saturday. Then, Taylor committed to keeping Mixon on the roster.

Why the Bengals have confidence in Mixon

While Mixon drew criticism from some of the fan base for his blocking and questions about off-field incidents, he was one of their most underrated players on the field in 2023. During one quarterbacks’ meeting, Joe Burrow came up with an idea for a play. He wanted to split Mixon out wide and have him run a “dig route” over the middle of the field. Mixon made the play against the Pittsburgh Stealers for a big first down, and the process showed how much confidence Burrow had in Mixon as a playmaking receiver.

yada, yada, yada.

19 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/04/29/zac-taylor-names-joe-mixon-starting-rb-after-2023-nfl-draft/70165883007/

With the draft behind the Bengals, Zac Taylor names Joe Mixon the starting running back

After the NFL draft ended, with the Cincinnati Bengals' opportunity to add a starting running back behind them, head coach Zac Taylor officially named Joe Mixon the Bengals’ starter for 2023.

“I like Joe Mixon as our starting running back,” Taylor said. “We get him the ball a lot of different ways. Just because (former Bengals running back Samaje Perine) played more on third down than he did, didn't mean that his production really wavered. We're still going to throw him the football and hand him the football.

The Bengals had options to go in a different direction, but the busy part of the offseason wrapped up with Mixon still atop the depth chart. The last chance to add a ready-to-go starter was through the draft, and the Bengals' decision making showed where Mixon stands.

Potential starters didn't fall to the Bengals in the draft

On Saturday afternoon, after the Bengals drafted running back Chase Brown in the fifth round, Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan mentioned Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs.

The Bengals never got the chance to draft Gibbs, who ended up as the No. 12 overall pick in the draft. As Callahan looked at this year’s running back class as a whole, he praised Gibbs for his ability to be a dynamic playmaker in the passing game and called him a “really, really good player.”

Between the NFL combine and draft, Taylor, director of pro personnel Duke Tobin and executive vice president Katie Blackburn hadn’t directly answered where Mixon stood on the roster. Early in the offseason, the Bengals had a lot of interest in bringing Perine back. If he had re-signed with the Bengals, then maybe Mixon would have been cut.

If the Bengals had agreed to terms with a starting caliber running back on the free agent market, potentially David Montgomery, Jamaal Williams or Damien Harris, then Mixon’s future with the Bengals could have been in question. If the Bengals had drafted Gibbs, then they would have had a new running back who’s ready to be starter. Texas running back Roschon Johnson, a fourth-round pick, or Israel Abanikanda, a fifth-round pick who was selected before Brown, also would have given the Bengals a player who’s ready to immediately play significant snaps.

The Bengals didn’t have all of the answers for who their options would be at that position until the end of the day on Saturday. Then, Taylor committed to keeping Mixon on the roster.

Why the Bengals have confidence in Mixon

While Mixon drew criticism from some of the fan base for his blocking and questions about off-field incidents, he was one of their most underrated players on the field in 2023. During one quarterbacks’ meeting, Joe Burrow came up with an idea for a play. He wanted to split Mixon out wide and have him run a “dig route” over the middle of the field. Mixon made the play against the Pittsburgh Stealers for a big first down, and the process showed how much confidence Burrow had in Mixon as a playmaking receiver.

yada, yada, yada.

That's cute. He ranked 48th in yards per carry last year.

This is some very Marvin-like attempt to blow smoke up everyone's ass. I don't like it at all. Is Joe holding someone's kid hostage? What gives?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Did he giggle when he said it?

and clap his hands?

I didn't copy the entire article but lots looked like Mr Dub's blowing smoke insight.

Seemed to fit the Mark Twain quote about the Three Kinds of Lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

Heavy on statistical based rationalization to try to cover the fact that Joe Sixgun ain't worth shit.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That's cute. He ranked 48th in yards per carry last year.

This is some very Marvin-like attempt to blow smoke up everyone's ass. I don't like it at all. Is Joe holding someone's kid hostage? What gives?

This is an easy question to answer. Perine chose Denver over Cincinnati, a move that caught the Bengals by surprise. Brian Callahan mentioned it yesterday in the press conference with Chase Brown. It was a blow.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, dex said:

This is an easy question to answer. Perine chose Denver over Cincinnati, a move that caught the Bengals by surprise. Brian Callahan mentioned it yesterday in the press conference with Chase Brown. It was a blow.

But they drafted a 3DRB.  You think they'd have cut Mixon if Perine stayed? I didn't get that impression at all but maybe..

I don't see Brown as a third down back. He's ok at best as a receiver and not an especially good blocker in blitz pickup. His main skill is carrying the rock, so he's more of a potential Mixon replacement. If we sent Mixon on his way.

IMO we should sign Zeke if he'll take 4 mil or less. He's one of the best blitz protectors in the league, and he still has his size and strength for short yardage situations. He's obviously lost a step but in a committee setting, getting touchdowns with a winning team, he could still be a prominent player and extend his career. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I don't see Brown as a third down back. He's ok at best as a receiver and not an especially good blocker in blitz pickup. His main skill is carrying the rock, so he's more of a potential Mixon replacement. If we sent Mixon on his way.

IMO we should sign Zeke if he'll take 4 mil or less. He's one of the best blitz protectors in the league, and he still has his size and strength for short yardage situations. He's obviously lost a step but in a committee setting, getting touchdowns with a winning team, he could still be a prominent player and extend his career. 

Elliot had the exact same YPC as Mixon last year. Plus, he blocks. Plus, AFAIK he's not facing any weapons charges. Plus, he could be had for half the price at most.

But if they cut Mixon he'll release the photos, so...

• Upvote 2

Two guys I'd add to the room. 

Cordoralle Patterson-32 and will want to play for a contender, still productive catching and running and could be the primary kick returner. Due 4.5 for Atlanta none of which is guaranteed. 

Abram Smith-Just led the XFL in rushing and would be an obvious special teamer having played LB as a JR at Baylor. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Patterson has had a nice career but he's pretty old. I doubt Atlanta cuts him either, and wouldn't want the Bengals to trade for him.

Abram Smith, bring him on. 

Patterson isn't getting cut, he's an integral part of what Atlanta does on offense. 

As for Smith, looking good in XFL is one thing, I'm interested to see what he would do vs NFL competition. 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, membengal said:

He would - altho I am finally coming around to accepting that I think they are way higher on trayveon Williams than I have been. 

Yes, Brian Callahan talked Williams up in a pre-drafty podcast. Talked about how much better he is in pass pro than when he first came into the league out of Texas A&M. He is probably the current frontrunner to be the 3rd down back on opening day. Feels like Evans has become an afterthought.