RB Offseason 2023

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I’m a big Williams fan. Always thought they should have been using him more in the backfield. Still think they’ll sign JWilliams from Detroit though. 

I'd be surprised if the Bengals sign Williams. He's already played 6 seasons. If they are letting Bell and Hurst walk due to age, what about Williams?

Just now, sparky151 said:

Well, that's the point. Unless you are trading damaged goods away (cough cough Lael Collins), a trade should be a win-win for both teams. If Tobin is saying he can't find trades that improve the Bengals, he's not very good at his job.  Teams can get players through 4 methods (waiver wire, draft, free agency, and trade) and not being able to make trades hurts the team. The Price for Hill trade worked out ok. A 6th or 7th rounder for CEH could work out as well. 

Choosing Dalton over Mahomes didn't work out so well for the Bengals though it eventually led to Burrow. But it worked out great for KC with 2 MVP awards and 2 Super Bowl wins with Kermit. 

BJ Hill says hello.

Also, Collins wasn't traded he was a FA. 

Remember everyone screaming how we should trade for him until they let him go?

That's why this time of year with a few people makes me laugh.

Nobody gets things right all the time, and that includes everyone on this board (myself included).

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd be surprised if the Bengals sign Williams. He's already played 6 seasons. If they are letting Bell and Hurst walk due to age, what about Williams?

Bengals still in the running for free agent RB Jamaal Williams

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/15/bengals-interested-free-agent-jamaal-williams-samaje-perine/

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

This is the other issue with drafting a RB high in the draft. As good as Robinson is or could be, the life of a RB is short and most teams not only devalue the position but dont want to commit large dollars for the second contract (because they devalue the position). So if you draft a RB high, you basically have to assume you get 5 years out of them and then they leave. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

BJ Hill says hello.

Also, Collins wasn't traded he was a FA. 

Remember everyone screaming how we should trade for him until they let him go?

That's why this time of year with a few people makes me laugh.

Nobody gets things right all the time, and that includes everyone on this board (myself included).

Yes, the Price for Hill trade worked well for the Bengals, at least when Hill was paired with Ogunjobi. Hill's 10 mil extension hasn't worked as well. Bengals should be less afraid to trade.

I was referring to Collins' trade value today when it's unknown if he'll be able to play week 1 or not. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, the Price for Hill trade worked well for the Bengals, at least when Hill was paired with Ogunjobi. Hill's 10 mil extension hasn't worked as well. Bengals should be less afraid to trade.

I was referring to Collins' trade value today when it's unknown if he'll be able to play week 1 or not. 

Hills contract is fine. He's been fine.

Even if healthy Collins has no trade value, he also isnt on a contract that hurts us.

15 hours ago, IKOTA said:

0% chance Higgins gets traded this year

Or ever. As long as this team has Burrow, Chase, and Higgins they can be a playoff team every year.

Even with the OL from Tulane University and no defense. 

It might take 10 first round draft picks to hit on another player of Higgins quality. No thanks. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Or ever. As long as this team has Burrow, Chase, and Higgins they can be a playoff team every year.

Even with the OL from Tulane University and no defense. 

It might take 10 first round draft picks to hit on another player of Higgins quality. No thanks. 

Maybe, but if I were the Bengals, I would have no problem trading Tee for 2 1st Rd picks. Difficult to assemble a SB quality team with 3 guys on offense all getting top tier contracts at the QB, WR and WR positions. It’s tough with even paying one WR that kind of money when the QB is going to be taking up 20% of your cap. 

32 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Maybe, but if I were the Bengals, I would have no problem trading Tee for 2 1st Rd picks. Difficult to assemble a SB quality team with 3 guys on offense all getting top tier contracts at the QB, WR and WR positions. It’s tough with even paying one WR that kind of money when the QB is going to be taking up 20% of your cap. 

I wouldn't even think of trading Higgins if I thought the Bengals would be able to sign him to an extension. I just don't want to let him play out his contract and leave the team with only a future compensatory pick as a reward. It isn't nearly enough. I realize that Cincinnati could win a title with Higgins in the next year or two, but if you don't get lucky like every Super Bowl champ does, then you are left with just some memories.

I hope they keep Higgins (and they will this year) but he has Bates agent, its going to be tough. 

I wont be surprised if they tag Tee next year and draft a WR after he's gone.

Also think this is Boyd's last year and we draft his replacement next year.

I'd trade Tee for a single top 10 pick if it gets us Paris Johnson. I have a high level of conviction that he'll be an excellent NFL LT. We could use our regular pick at 28 on a RT or CB or WR. Boyd can play WR2 as he did with AJ Green. He also was a credible WR1 the year Green was hurt. We'd need to find a WR3 better than Irwin or Taylor and a plan for a WR2 to succeed Boyd. But it could be done. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd trade Tee for a single top 10 pick if it gets us Paris Johnson. I have a high level of conviction that he'll be an excellent NFL LT. We could use our regular pick at 28 on a RT or CB or WR. Boyd can play WR2 as he did with AJ Green. He also was a credible WR1 the year Green was hurt. We'd need to find a WR3 better than Irwin or Taylor and a plan for a WR2 to succeed Boyd. But it could be done. 

Boyd a WR1 when Green was hurt?

I had Boyd on my fantasy team that year, and no he was not. He struggled.

3 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals could probably franchise tag Tee twice actually if the agent wanted to play hard ball. Maybe even 3 years in a row. 

I think they will tag him one year, but it's not like them to do it more than one year.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think they will tag him one year, but it's not like them to do it more than one year.

If I was the front office I would let his agent know now ... "Tee will not be leaving the team, whether we need to tag him 5 times in a row. Now let's get serious and talk numbers."

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Boyd a WR1 when Green was hurt?

I had Boyd on my fantasy team that year, and no he was not. He struggled.

When Green missed the 2019 season Tyler had 90 catches for 1046 yards and 5 TDs. That's pretty good for a guy with no support. 

7 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals could probably franchise tag Tee twice actually if the agent wanted to play hard ball. Maybe even 3 years in a row. 

The third year tag is only for QBs as it goes from average at the position to top 5 average in the whole league. Or a 44% raise over the prior year, whichever is more.

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

When Green missed the 2019 season Tyler had 90 catches for 1046 yards and 5 TDs. That's pretty good for a guy with no support. 

Tyler Boyd is and will always be one of my favorite Bengals, I predicted we were going to draft him and got that right and was super happy when we did. I was also happy to see how excited he was when he finally got into the playoffs 2 years ago.

Tyler Body is not a WR1

Maybe the best WR2 in the league, and without a doubt the best WR3, and best possession WR in the league as well.

He's not WR1