TE Offseason 2023

57 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Much as I'd love to be rid of Collins there needs to be a replacement in place first.  "Pick #28" is not an answer.

I would do as last year but this time try to pick up a couple of swing tackle vets on 2 year contracts and maybe a vet guard.  I would resign Hurst if possible and draft Mayers at 28 if he is there.  If not then nab one in the second round since it seems to be a deep TE draft.  Some might think Darnell Washington would be a reach at 28 but maybe not.

If you can't sign Hurst who is this years "Hurst" in free agency? 

Think of how dominant Burrow has been, and he's never had a top 10 TE. Give him someone like Kelce, and he would be unstoppable. 

The last remaining piece to the Bengals offensive puzzle has been having a TE that Joe can consistently find over the middle. A security blanket - too many times that was Mixon last year instead of a TE.

I think the Bengals fix the TE issue with one of their top 2 pics this year and still bring back Hurst. A Hurst & Mayer combo gives you the thunder and lightning. But I'm intrigued by Washington's size too. 

16 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I would do as last year but this time try to pick up a couple of swing tackle vets on 2 year contracts and maybe a vet guard.  I would resign Hurst if possible and draft Mayers at 28 if he is there.  If not then nab one in the second round since it seems to be a deep TE draft.  Some might think Darnell Washington would be a reach at 28 but maybe not.

If you can't sign Hurst who is this years "Hurst" in free agency? 

I think Hurst is likely to re-sign with the Bengals. If he does go elsewhere, maybe Robert Tonyan would be a comp. Mike Gesicki will be on the market and maybe Evan Engram. There are plenty of options at TE. 

23 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Think of how dominant Burrow has been, and he's never had a top 10 TE. Give him someone like Kelce, an OL on par with KC or Philly and he would be unstoppable. 

FTFY.  He doesn't need a Pro Bowl TE.  He needs OTs that aren't turnstiles.

Amen!  Can we please stop talking about upgrading or drafting the TE position in Round 1?  The crew we have has the right amount of talent at the right price.  Let’s get Hurst resigned at a fair, team friendly deal.

Think about it, as great as he is, if Travis K is on this team, is he the THIRD option?  The Chiefs do not have Chase and Higgins.  Certainly means Travis is not the impact player he is in KC unless we throw the ball on every single offensive play!

We made a great attempt to upgrade the OL last off season.  How can we do the same again with free agency right around the corner?

5 hours ago, mojo said:

Amen!  Can we please stop talking about upgrading or drafting the TE position in Round 1?  The crew we have has the right amount of talent at the right price.  Let’s get Hurst resigned at a fair, team friendly deal.

Think about it, as great as he is, if Travis K is on this team, is he the THIRD option?  The Chiefs do not have Chase and Higgins.  Certainly means Travis is not the impact player he is in KC unless we throw the ball on every single offensive play!

We made a great attempt to upgrade the OL last off season.  How can we do the same again with free agency right around the corner?

Yeah I think JB has progressed to a point where he doesn't need a bunch of great receivers so much as an extra half second to get the ball to them.  There are plenty of guys here that can catch.

Also should say that Hurst is underrated, when I looked at his stats late in the season the difference between him and bigger names was mostly due to him being a 3rd or 4th option and not getting as many looks in the red zone. YAC was a bit low for a TE as well but on 3rd downs and catch % he was as good as anybody that's not a WR1 in their offense.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Ah yes forgot about him.

I'm guessing that Wilcox not getting tendered bodes well for getting Hurt or Sample back 

You have every right to forget Asiasi..😎

Hurst yes.

Sample maybe

Is he really that good as a blocker??

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

You have every right to forget Asiasi..😎

Hurst yes.

Sample maybe

Is really that good as a blocker??

I would suspect if they do bring back Sample it would be 1-year tender. I think he does add in the blocking game. 

I read somewhere but can't find it that Wilcox being an RFA if the Bengals tender him they are obligated to pay him a minimum salary that is north of $1 million.  Once he becomes a street FA then the Bengals can sign him for anything above league minimum.  My guess the Bengals do not value him at the RFA salary.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

I read somewhere but can't find it that Wilcox being an RFA if the Bengals tender him they are obligated to pay him a minimum salary that is north of $1 million.  Once he becomes a street FA then the Bengals can sign him for anything above league minimum.  My guess the Bengals do not value him at the RFA salary.

I think his Tender was 2.5. Last year they didn't tender Morgan but then gave him a 2 year deal worth 2.25 total. 

I think if you run it back with Hurst-Sample and Wilcox....It's not sexy but it's not expensive. We were perfectly fine at the position last year with Wilcox and Hurst. Sample is very close with teammates here and has always been what they (over) drafted him for. A good blocker. 

This is a good TE draft. Bengals should at least re-sign Hurst. We can and should upgrade from Sample and Wilcox. 

In the mock offseason, We re-signed Hurst for about 8 mil per, later added Robert Tonyan for about 4.5 and later added Mycole Pruitt as the blocker for about 2 mil. We also ended up re-signing Sample and Wilcox to take to camp for minimum salaries. There were lots of vet TEs available who were cheap and upgrades from Sample and Wilcox before getting to the rookie class. 

Archived