TE Offseason 2023

On 3/11/2023 at 1:47 PM, sparky151 said:

This is a good TE draft. Bengals should at least re-sign Hurst. We can and should upgrade from Sample and Wilcox. 

In the mock offseason, We re-signed Hurst for about 8 mil per, later added Robert Tonyan for about 4.5 and later added Mycole Pruitt as the blocker for about 2 mil. We also ended up re-signing Sample and Wilcox to take to camp for minimum salaries. There were lots of vet TEs available who were cheap and upgrades from Sample and Wilcox before getting to the rookie class. 

I like Sample but think our best thing might be to let him walk and hopefully getting a comp pick next year.

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Don’t know but there’s no way the Bengals were giving him a 3 year deal.
Nor should they have. 

Why not? They would only have guaranteed the first year anyway. But of course that is why Hurst's agent would have declined it. 

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would look to Mike Gesicki to give him a deal like Hurst got with us.

Gesicki has been one of the worst blocking TEs in the league.  Last year the Dolphins tried to make him into one, I'm not sure how that turned out but I'd be pretty nervous if they brought that guy in.

2 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Gesicki has been one of the worst blocking TEs in the league.  Last year the Dolphins tried to make him into one, I'm not sure how that turned out but I'd be pretty nervous if they brought that guy in.

Hurst wasn't exactly a great blocker either. I'd be looking at Gesicki to fill a 1 year roll as a pass catcher while still looking at the draft, but I was on board for drafting a TE if we kept Hurst too. I'm thinking that getting a vet in that spot will not force us to have to take one early unless the value is there. But this is a deep TE class and we should be able to find a guy I'm guessing in the first 3 rounds.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Hurst wasn't exactly a great blocker either. I'd be looking at Gesicki to fill a 1 year roll as a pass catcher while still looking at the draft, but I was on board for drafting a TE if we kept Hurst too. I'm thinking that getting a vet in that spot will not force us to have to take one early unless the value is there. But this is a deep TE class and we should be able to find a guy I'm guessing in the first 3 rounds.

Well I didn't say 'not great" I said WORST.  The only reason Gesicki climbed the charts (on PFF anyway) this season was because again, the Dolphins tried to squeeze it out of him.  From the interviews I read it sounded like he wasn't too happy with it.

I totally agree he's a great pass catcher, maybe in the top tier, but unfortunately we don't have the luxury of having unwilling blockers on our line.

Loved Hurst attitude and physical toughness.

However, this is the best TE class in recent memory.

The Bengals will probably grab a decent one in the 3rd round.

If I'm not mistaken, Hurst is from the Carolinas, so he will be closer to home.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope this is at least partially true, but I'm in a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance on this at the moment.  Hurst also said he wanted to stay here and that didn't pan out so, what are prospective FA's supposed to think about that?  Do we want guys to come in here "just" for a salary bump elsewhere?  That's a shitty way to run a team IMO.  It also smells like old-school Mikey "Redemption Station" behaviour.

Just now, HavePityPlease said:

I hope this is at least partially true, but I'm in a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance on this at the moment.  Hurst also said he wanted to stay here and that didn't pan out so, what are prospective FA's supposed to think about that?  Do we want guys to come in here "just" for a salary bump elsewhere?  That's a shitty way to run a team IMO.  It also smells like old-school Mikey "Redemption Station" behaviour.

That's how the Eagles made the Superbowl last year, they had a number of 1-year deal guys.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

That's how the Eagles made the Superbowl last year, they had a number of 1-year deal guys.

Hey if we can sign a safety who has never done anything for $2M for one year and he has a Pro Bowl season, I'm all for it.  Other than that I think you're going out on a limb here.

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

Hey if we can sign a safety who has never done anything for $2M for one year and he has a Pro Bowl season, I'm all for it.  Other than that I think you're going out on a limb here.

Or a DT that still plays at a pretty high end level and already has a ring? 

I was sure Hurst was coming back so I didn't really expect to need to look at this top group. 1 of these guys MUST be signed because we can't rely on the draft for a starter. 

Starters
  4 Hooper-Titans 29 68.8 74.6 24.2 46.7 525 2/59   41-444-2  
    Schultz-Cowboys 27 68.3 67.8 51.1 65.9 938 15/51   57-577-5  
7   Moreau-Raiders 26 61.1 69.7 72 40.8 745 14/34   33-420-2  
    Gesicki-Dolphins 28 60.5 62.2 54.9 42.3 505 1/31   32-362-5  
    Tonyan-Pacs 29 57.7 60.5 35.3 46.3 591 3/18   53-470-2  
Possible Starters
2   Akins-Texans 31 72.4 74.3 61.3 51.6 406 3/26   37-495-5 Walters-2017
    Smith-Vikings 25 56.4 56.4 44.4 56.2 289 1/15   25-182-2  
2   Howard-Texans 28 56.2 62.6 47.5 49.4 310 10/56   10-145-2  
  CC Brate-Bucs 32 53.2 54.4 79.1 51.1 374 1/33   20-174-0  

Archived