TE Offseason 2023

28 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Athletically he's a once in generational talent

No offense but that kind of talk is the kiss of death for draft picks.. 😆 Heard the exact same thing about Ross and pretty much every other first round bust in recent memory.

"Oh the NFL isn't ready!"

Narrator: The NFL was, in fact, ready.

Didn't we already do the "draft a TE too early solely for their blocking ability" thing? Pretty sure we did.

17 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Watch him then watch Schoonmaker. You can get Schoonmaker 3 rounds later and a more fluid athlete

I have no idea what you are talking about, first off they are playing against different levels of competition and secondly I saw Washington running over, away, and through the best athletes in college football. 

Not sure what those highlights are supposed to prove, if anything it confirmed my thoughts about Washington being an ideal fit for this team. 

34 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I have no idea what you are talking about, first off they are playing against different levels of competition and secondly I saw Washington running over, away, and through the best athletes in college football. 

Not sure what those highlights are supposed to prove, if anything it confirmed my thoughts about Washington being an ideal fit for this team. 

He is running over them because he has no separation. He is running away from no one. Different levels of competition between Michigan and Georgia? I guess but this isn't Delaware and Georgia. 

He is the Margus Hunt of TE prospects. Wow look at that RAS.....Oh he has very few catches, is so slow and clunky when he catches the ball he basically stops. Every catch they show he is surrounded by people or out jumping someone. That's cool, but not super effective. If he was a 3rd rounder I would be all over it. Round 1 it's just someone who has been inflated by running fast. 

PFF take

-More of a mismatch creator than actual route runner at tight end. cons Lacks the requisite twitch to get open on route breaks. 

-Washington is never going to look like Travis Kelce as a receiver so putting anything to do with that is insane. He can easily grow into being an actual offensive tackle, though, if he so chooses. To be effective as a blocker regardless, Washington will have to cut out the waist-bending and sink from his lower half.

Blocking is the #1 requirement for a TE in our offense.  No, you don't overdraft them for this, but it has to be something they are already good at and can improve further.  The better the receiver, the higher the value.

No more Chase Coffmans that we can supposedly "teach to block", because no, you can't (or at best we don't have time for them to learn).

27 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Blocking is the #1 requirement for a TE in our offense.  No, you don't overdraft them for this, but it has to be something they are already good at and can improve further.  The better the receiver, the higher the value.

No more Chase Coffmans that we can supposedly "teach to block", because no, you can't (or at best we don't have time for them to learn).

I am not going to disagree with you but Hurst was vastly improved as a blocked this year. 

47 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Nor can you teach the Drew Sample's to catch and run routes to get open.

37 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He is running over them because he has no separation. He is running away from no one. Different levels of competition between Michigan and Georgia? I guess but this isn't Delaware and Georgia. 

yeah..there is a big talent gap in between Big 10 athletes and SEC athletes, which is why the SEC has won 13 out of the last 16 national championships. Schoonmaker or whoever wouldn't be running away from those SEC players either...Schoonmaker wasn't even recruited by any SEC schools because they knew he couldn't compete at that level. Washington gets enough separation to make the catch and run after the catch, that is enough to make a play...how many TE's are getting that kind of separation anyway. In the video you posted Luke was wide open because of busted coverages and good play design, you act like he was just out running everybody like Randy Moss down the middle of the field on a skinny post. 

41 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He is the Margus Hunt of TE prospects. Wow look at that RAS.....Oh he has very few catches, is so slow and clunky when he catches the ball he basically stops. Every catch they show he is surrounded by people or out jumping someone. That's cool, but not super effective. If he was a 3rd rounder I would be all over it. Round 1 it's just someone who has been inflated by running fast. 

PFF take

-More of a mismatch creator than actual route runner at tight end. cons Lacks the requisite twitch to get open on route breaks. 

-Washington is never going to look like Travis Kelce as a receiver so putting anything to do with that is insane. He can easily grow into being an actual offensive tackle, though, if he so chooses. To be effective as a blocker regardless, Washington will have to cut out the waist-bending and sink from his lower half.

Margus Hunt of TE...that's laughable. Hunt was new to FB and played CFB at a small D1 program while Washington was a top recruit coming out of high school and played for the back-to-back national champs...now it seems like you're just making up stuff to convince yourself. Did you watch the video you posted? He was running through, over, and away from defenders...not stopping. 

How is he slow but runs a faster 40 time than just about everyone else is his weight and height?

C'mon Weston, trying to say that Luke Schoonmaker is a better prospect than Washington is laughable. Literally, no one in NFL would say that; one guy is thought to be a first-round pick while other guy would be lucky to be picked in the 3rd round and will probably be picked on day 3 of the draft. 

Neither Washington's game film or workouts suggest he can't move. He was well known for his ability to block in space as well as inline. If we draft a TE in the first, I wouldn't cry if the team took Washington instead of Mayer or Kincaid. I'd probably prefer Dawand Jones at pick 28 though. 

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Neither Washington's game film or workouts suggest he can't move. He was well known for his ability to block in space as well as inline. If we draft a TE in the first, I wouldn't cry if the team took Washington instead of Mayer or Kincaid. I'd probably prefer Dawand Jones at pick 28 though. 

Same here, but if there was a way we could get both that would be ideal...our run and pass blocking would be upgraded with those two additions. 

59 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Dawand Jones is so massive he can only play in certain types of systems. The fact that he is a terrible fit for schemes that use the outside scheme eliminates many teams. This is why I think Jones could possibly fall to #60. Frank Pollack started switching to the shotgun/downhill/gap scheme midway through last season. So Jones might be in play for the Bengals but maybe not at #28. He chose not to weigh at his pro day. Some people think Jones might weigh close to 400 pounds now.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The draft network scouting report is perfect. They accurately describe Washington as Lumbering. 

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

The draft network scouting report is perfect. They accurately describe Washington as Lumbering. 

Lumbering at the college levels just means slow in the NFL. This guy isn't going to out-physical pro linebackers and safeties.

14 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Irv Smith signs with BENGALS!

SEASON    TEAM                        G     GS    REC    YDS     AVG    LNG    TD
2019         Minnesota Vikings    16      7     36      311      8.6      29       2
2020         Minnesota Vikings    13      7     30      365    12.2      36       5
2022         Minnesota Vikings      8      1      25     182      7.3      17       2
TOTAL                                        37     15     91     858      9.4      36       9

Out for the 2021 season with Knee Meniscus Tear

2022 Injury was high ankle sprain Oct 30th but returned for playoffs

29 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Don't like that he ended the last 2 seasons on IR but cool I guess

They will probably put something in the contract, about he only gets paid if he plays.He has missed a lot of tine with injuries.

16 minutes ago, stan said:

They will probably put something in the contract, about he only gets paid if he plays.He has missed a lot of tine with injuries.

It doesn't do much to make TE less of an immediate need in the draft.  There's still holes there & RT.

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It doesn't do much to make TE less of an immediate need in the draft.  There's still holes there & RT.

Agreed. But it gives us a starter while his replacement is being groomed. There's no hole at RT. We will draft one in the first two rounds, and trade Jonah, and if not, Jonah is the new RT for a year. Possibly both.

11 minutes ago, Sox said:

Agreed. But it gives us a starter while his replacement is being groomed. There's no hole at RT. We will draft one in the first two rounds, and trade Jonah, and if not, Jonah is the new RT for a year. Possibly both.

It gives us a starter if he's healthy. Which he hasn't been often. Along with overdrafting a blocking TE, I know we've already done the "starting TE if he's healthy - but he's not" thing. Didn't work out so well.

A draft pick is not a starting RT, it's a scratch-off ticket.  Maybe it's a starting RT, maybe it's a Cedric Ogbuehi.  Jonah Williams at RT sounds like more 3+ sacks & 2-point-dick yards per carry games to me.. 

Going into the draft with a tandem of Thoughts & Prayers starting on the right side of our OL is not great. That's how you miss out on the BPA reaching for backup-quality players out of desperation.

Archived