OL Offseason 2023

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I’m not even saying that Jonah needs to be idled—regardless of what Carman does. 

We do know Carman’s natural—and only really—position is LT. Always has been. Jonah, on the other hand, had quite a bit of experience at RT at Alabama. Get his kneecaps fixed, and give him a run on the right side…it isn’t like he’s never been there. 

And speaking of square pegs in round holes, Adeniji has been forced into playing right side, when his natural position is LT. He’s played OK there when used. 

Can never figure out why they are always trying to make Swiss Army Knives out of players who should only be doing one thing. 

Comments were very thought provoking on the Oline situation especially with Jonah..

All true.. 

I hope the recognize it as you have.

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The O-line backup players have to have some versatility. They will have 8 or 9 active on gameday so they don't have 1 for 1 backups for all positions. 

Fine when you have healthy, capable starters at those positions.  Our current starting OTs are neither of those things.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Fine when you have healthy, capable starters at those positions.  Our current starting OTs are neither of those things.

CB is a valued position.

With the present unit ( Apple included at a modest price) theyre pretty solid.

The OT unit is like a scrape heap..

Sign a FA and draft a couple..

If JB goes down due to their inefficiency

the season is over..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

CB is a valued position.

With the present unit ( Apple included at a modest price) theyre pretty solid.

The OT unit is like a scrape heap..

Sign a FA and draft a couple..

If JB goes down due to their inefficiency

the season is over..

Already cost them a SB and their shot at a 2nd one..  I'd hope it doesn't take Burrow getting hurt a second time for them to see it as a problem.

53 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Already cost them a SB and their shot at a 2nd one..  I'd hope it doesn't take Burrow getting hurt a second time for them to see it as a problem.

Oh they see a prroblem...

The coach speak their putting out is to keep the oline's confidence up isn't there true feelings...

They know what they have as well as the Blackburn women..

They arent going to see theiir prized possession go with this wreck of a line 

again..

Changes coming...

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don’t care who you are, you lose three starters along the OL, you’re going to be in trouble. No one has the kind of depth needed to sustain that. 

True..

Fact remains the unit is among the bottom in Oline rankings by most analysts even without injuries.

A site called Cold Wire is reporting the team is about to cut Collins and save 6.1mil..

They need the cap space more than Collins..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

True..

Fact remains the unit is among the bottom in Oline rankings by most analysts even without injuries.

A site called Cold Wire is reporting the team is about to cut Collins and save 6.1mil..

They need the cap space more than Collins..

The tried and true adage remains the same: unless there is a replacement in place, you are shadowboxing. 

What is that $6 bills going to buy, which makes the replacement in place…be in place? 

More FA’s…which won’t buy much? More draft picks…crapshoot at best, and certainly not immediate? Present line musical chairs..meaning (once again) people out of position? 

Or, does all of it go to St Joseph? 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The statement was “they need the cap space more than they need Collins”.

The health issue—while of course the elephant in the room—was not mentioned. But since it is now: deal with it as the development occurs. He is likely evaluated constantly as to his progression from the injury/treatment. They may already have a prognosis of recovery. If it is positive, then they will deal with replacement short term. If negative, then they will deal with it long term…including saving everyone’s precious $6 million bucks to line their QB’s pocket. 

They don’t completely know yet, it appears; so yes, everything outside of actual fact is shadowboxing 

My use of "shadowboxing" was unnecessary and I apologize.  The real emphasis of my post is the Collins decision will have to be made sooner than later.  Picking at the back end of the draft-even in the 1st round-while getting a talented OL is probable, actually getting a player to step right in and be a reliable starter is not.  Reading a lot of pre-draft reports on those after the top few I am seeing comments like "needs more weight" or "should have stayed in school another year".  These guys are talented but are they going to help the Bengals this year probably not?

My HO is the Bengals need to fix as much of the Oline in FA now and if that means dumping Collins and buying a new right tackle so be it.  My feeling is that with the usual run of QB's at the top and the shifting up and down of players during the combine there is a chance to pick up a "difference maker" at 28 in the draft.  Maybe its Robinson at RB, a TE or even someone who could pt more pressure on the QB.  I would like options be open for the draft and not feel forced to take an offensive lineman just because they didnt get one in free agency.

They shouldn't cut Collins until they need the money. His 6 mil is about our rookie draft pool so he can be carried until after the draft. Or they can let him go sooner if they sign a veteran free agent starter. Collins may have some trade value, at least a conditional pick in 2024, as he's a veteran starter on a cheap contract. But nobody knows now if he'll be ready to go week 1 or will be on PUP.

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

For what its worth they cant cut collins until he passes a physical or they lose another 2.4 million or something. Plus there really is no need right now to do it.

That's not correct. His contract isn't guaranteed for 2023 and he can be cut. Vested veteran players can take termination pay once in their career for the remainder of their current year's salary but that doesn't affect a team's cap. 

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That's not correct. His contract isn't guaranteed for 2023 and he can be cut. Vested veteran players can take termination pay once in their career for the remainder of their current year's salary but that doesn't affect a team's cap. 

I haven't seen that elsewhere but that would be great. 

15 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I haven't seen that elsewhere but that would be great. 

I know Spotrac had him getting a $100k incentive per start so aside from any guarantees the actual money paid is significantly reduced with him sidelined. How that affects the cap or a potential buyout IDK.

Here's the Collins contract from Spotrac.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/lael-collins-17403/

If cut or traded before June 1, the team has 3.333 mil in dead money from his original signing bonus. We save his salary and per game roster bonuses. He might qualify for his workout bonus depending on the timing. After June 1, we only take a hit of 1.667 mil this year with a similar hit for 2024. 

He's already been paid for 2022 so he won't take termination pay this league year. And he has to be on the active roster for week 1 of 2023 to take it next season. 

Archived