OL Offseason 2023

Trading Jonah would get his contract off the books and restore whatever hasn't been spent to the Bengals cap. Cutting him doesn't do much for the Bengals as his salary is fully guaranteed (though probably subject to offset) so Bengals would only gain cap space equial to whatever another team pays him. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Trading Jonah would get his contract off the books and restore whatever hasn't been spent to the Bengals cap. Cutting him doesn't do much for the Bengals as his salary is fully guaranteed (though probably subject to offset) so Bengals would only gain cap space equial to whatever another team pays him. 

No one is trading for a mediocre OT with bum knees that can't even pass a physical.

The Bengals however have effectively named him their starting RT.

A bold strategy...

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/05/bengals-jaxson-kirkland-undrafted-free-agent-breakout-candidate/

Bengals UDFA Jaxson Kirkland a breakout candidate to watch

For the Cincinnati Bengals, Jaxson Kirkland stands out the most among the team’s list of undrafted free agents in the wake of the NFL draft.

Kirkland has a few things going for him, which would explain his choosing the team in undrafted free agency in the first place.

For one, he was at one point considered a mid-round pick during the draft process, which suggests a bit of value for the Bengals if coaches can unlock some of that once he arrives in training camp.

Given his pass-protection background and ability to play inside and out, he’s just the type of versatile lineman Bengals coaches like to pursue.

And two, the Bengals didn’t use even one of their eight picks in the draft on the offensive line, signaling loud and clear that they’re comfortable with the starting positions — but open to depth competition shaking up the roster.

Draft Wire’s Jeff Risdon would agree, spotlighting Kirkland as the team’s undrafted free agent to watch:

Once viewed as a potential top-50 prospect before injuries derailed his Huskies career, Kirkland is an experienced, physical blocker who can play either guard spot or right tackle. The Bengals were a smart choice for Kirkland, who is not a developmental-type of talent. They need help now, and the 25-year-old could offer it.

Kirkland even showed well at pre-draft activities against level competition, with some AFC North-styled feistiness to boot:

It’s going to be hard for a rookie undrafted lineman to make a roster spot on the Bengals considering, for better or worse, some of the team’s backups have extensive playoff and even Super Bowl starting experience.

But of the team’s undrafted free agents so far, Kirkland has to be considered the favorite to crack a spot on the final 53 if he can put up a strong summer.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yeah, the most wonderful time of the year when hopes ride high for dreams to come true but..

Adeniji and D'A Smith ain't getting any younger or better.

:popcorn:

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

It’s going to be hard for a rookie undrafted lineman to make a roster spot on the Bengals considering, for better or worse, some of the team’s backups have extensive playoff and even Super Bowl starting experience.

Scoffed out loud at that one.

"For better or worse" 😆

Some of the team's backups have extensive playoff and even Super Bowl failures, contributing heavily to losses in both.

Did anyone say it was? He had a mid round talent grade from Brandon thorn among others last year and got hurt and bengals red shirted him. Can you just fucking for once consider the possibility that maybe help can come from such things on occasion? Just…fuck. It’s may. Do you have to be a constant fucking asshole every day? Jesus Christ. 

How about this -

everything is shit. Nothing is good. There is never hope, there’s never any reason to discuss things because no matter what it’s gonna be shit and this is a shit team with shit players and shit coaches who look and find shit players and everyone who talks about it is also shit. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Did anyone say it was? He had a mid round talent grade from Brandon thorn among others last year and got hurt and bengals red shirted him. Can you just fucking for once consider the possibility that maybe help can come from such things on occasion? Just…fuck. It’s may. Do you have to be a constant fucking asshole every day? Jesus Christ. 

Lighten up, Francis. Sorry pointing out dude is grasping at straws got you so upset.

Our last 2 seasons have been ended by failures by the O-line, especially backup players forced into action. We've had 1 big free agent signing and a second backup signing, both at tackle. But nothing on the interior of the line. We pretty much know by now that Trey Hill, D'Ante Smith, and Hakeem Adeniji aren't future NFL starters. So far they aren't even very good backups. 

24 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Lighten up, Francis. Sorry pointing out dude is grasping at straws got you so upset.

It’s good. There’s nothing to discuss ever because it’s all shit and will never be anything but shit. You win. 

3 hours ago, membengal said:

It’s good. There’s nothing to discuss ever because it’s all shit and will never be anything but shit. You win. 

It's just talking shit about football dude. Don't take it all personal, start calling me names & then act like I'm the problem. 

On 5/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, membengal said:

Imagine if they drafted 7 RTs this year.  Now that would have been something to discuss.

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Been away for board for the better part of a week.  I comeback to T-Dub raising hell about RT and Jonah Williams on at least three different threads. 

Dios Mio…

Almost like there's 3 different threads revolving around the OL. 

8 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Imagine if they drafted 7 RTs this year.  Now that would have been something to discuss.

One might have been nice but ehh it's fine, these coaches went to a SB once after all.  It was wrong of me to question them.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:43 PM, sparky151 said:

It's not shit for the 4 left-most positions on the line until a starter goes down. Then the brown stuff hits the rotating device. Do you not think we can do better for backup O-linemen? 

Name one NFL team that has 3-4 quality back up offensive lineman...this is not Madden where you can create a player.

You realize the Bengals drafted offensive linemen in the last 2 drafts, at some point you have to give them time to develop and an opportunity to play.

So by your logic if a rookie doesn't play at a Pro Bowl level in the first 2 years then they should be replaced with another rookie...that makes sense. 

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

One might have been nice but ehh it's fine, these coaches went to a SB once after all.  It was wrong of me to question them.

I wanted the Bengals to draft Jones, but the NFL decided he wasn't as good as I thought he was and Anton Harris was selected right before our pick.

If they didn't have the opportunity to draft one that is better than what they already have then those are the breaks...but carry on.

I think the people have actually do this for living and have been reasonably successful should get the benefit of doubt. 

24 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I wanted the Bengals to draft Jones, but the NFL decided he wasn't as good as I thought he was and Anton Harris was selected right before our pick.

If they didn't have the opportunity to draft one that is better than what they already have then those are the breaks...but carry on.

I think the people have actually do this for living and have been reasonably successful should get the benefit of doubt. 

Always? In every decision, eternally? Have they never made a mistake in your estimation?  Or is questioning them only OK when you do it?

If no one disagreed with any of their decisions this place would sure be boring.

Odd take here.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Always? In every decision, eternally? Have they never made a mistake in your estimation?  Or is questioning them only OK when you do it?

If no one disagreed with any of their decisions this place would sure be boring.

Odd take here.

Until the decision is proven wrong. I'm not going to assume all hope is lost before a game has been played just because the Bengals didn't draft who I thought they should have. If it's the preseason and the RTs are struggling then yeah...but its May, so I will trust the process.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Odd take here.

This..

Opinions about the team

makes for pondering different views.

Keeps this board very entertainling as allways..

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Until the decision is proven wrong. I'm not going to assume all hope is lost before a game has been played just because the Bengals didn't draft who I thought they should have

Again, you're making that stuff up yourself.  Said many times I liked the draft.  Never said all hope is lost or anything of the sort.

What I did say is that we've got a lot of hopes & prayers lining up at RT, which kinda sucks considering how much money is now tied up in the position.  $20 mil should get you a healthy average starter, at least. It's hard for me to believe that there were no takers at that price in FA, but OK. I'm still hopeful that a utility vet or some younger guy they can possibly develop into a starter down the road shows up via FA late in camp. Just capable of taking some snaps or maybe even starting a game or two without getting JB killed. A side-grade equivalent of who we have now that doesn't cost over $10 mil would be an improvement.

I'll also say it does get tiring having to answer for things I've never said & then being called an asshole or whatever for correcting it, like I'm in the wrong. Kinda bullshit, kinda gaslighting. Respectfully.

7 minutes ago, membengal said:

I posted that a few days ago Harry. TDub already said he’s complete shit, sorry.

Oops... didn't see it.  Deleted it.

Maybe he and Kirkland are complete shit.

Neutral on the subject and I do not put a lot of faith in undrafted free agents, anyway.

But I kind of go all Lloyd with "So you're saying there's a chance?"

Personally, I've seen enough of Deaniji and D'A Smith and Sharping looked like

Spuds MacKenzie wanting a belly rub as a backup vs Kansas City last season.

It would be nice to see some new blood as backups and not just change for the sake of change.

If they even have a pulse perhaps the practice squad.

Archived