OL Offseason 2023

11 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I am super excited about Ben Brown. 

This could work - Orlando Brown/Ben Brown/Chase Brown. More talent on the offensive side. None of these Browns are from Cleveland, which is always a plus.

47 minutes ago, dex said:

This could work - Orlando Brown/Ben Brown/Chase Brown. More talent on the offensive side. None of these Browns are from Cleveland, which is always a plus.

Kind of like the year we had all the Johnsons. 

Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, Jeremi Johnson on offense, Michael Johnson on defense,  and I think there was another one in there somewhere. 

37 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, Jeremi Johnson on offense, Michael Johnson on defense,  and I think there was another one in there somewhere. 

Some people think you can never have too many Johnsons

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I mean, he’s got scouting pedigree and a year red shirting - i at least think he could push Trey Hill…

Just staying healthy would be a plus. OL is brutal, not many people can withstand 5 months of that. Can't keep relying on starters that seems to get hurt almost every year, at any position really.

28 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Just staying healthy would be a plus. OL is brutal, not many people can withstand 5 months of that. Can't keep relying on starters that seems to get hurt almost every year, at any position really.

A huge plus. Yes, first hurdle for Ben brown is making it to the starting line health-wise and even being an option. But, I am rooting that we start to see him in pics from mini-camps etc doing all activities.

I am more bothered by Trey hill as the back up to Karras than I am by who plays RT frankly. If brown could push hill, that would be helpful. Want hill to have to earn it. If anything were to happen to Karras that would be crippling I fear. Of all the spots on the line, he’s got the weakest backup situation in my view.

I am more bothered by Trey hill as the back up to Karras than I am by who plays RT frankly. 

Not unreasonable for a center that recently turned 30. He's kind of been the glue holding the OL together. OBjr should add some of that veteran been-there leadership to the room, those 2 can compare rings.

18 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Name one NFL team that has 3-4 quality back up offensive lineman...this is not Madden where you can create a player.

You realize the Bengals drafted offensive linemen in the last 2 drafts, at some point you have to give them time to develop and an opportunity to play.

So by your logic if a rookie doesn't play at a Pro Bowl level in the first 2 years then they should be replaced with another rookie...that makes sense. 

The Eagles have good O-line depth because they make the effort. One of their backups from last year signed a 30 mil deal this offseason. 

Bengals didn't draft any O-linemen this year and only Volson last year. I thought he was ok but think we've seen enough from Adeniji, Hill, and Smith. Scharping took a paycut to re-sign here but isn't very good. 

It would be nice to have backups who push the starters for playing time. Apparently that's a crazy concept to you and nobody could do any better. 

27 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The Eagles have good O-line depth because they make the effort. One of their backups from last year signed a 30 mil deal this offseason. 

Bengals didn't draft any O-linemen this year and only Volson last year. I thought he was ok but think we've seen enough from Adeniji, Hill, and Smith. Scharping took a paycut to re-sign here but isn't very good. 

It would be nice to have backups who push the starters for playing time. Apparently that's a crazy concept to you and nobody could do any better. 

Seeing that our track record of drafting OL blows goats, maybe it is a better idea to sign FAs and anyone other that who we draft. 

oh ffs, that "back-up lineman" was their former 1st round T who had failed at being a T and was reduced to a backup (Andre Dillard).  IF carman beats out Jonah and we keep Jonah and he leaves and signs a similar deal (which he will get) I will assume that you will be praising the Bengals for their failed first round T the same as you just praised the eagles for their failed first round T...

8 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Riall, right?

I wish I could remember important shit...

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Seeing that our track record of drafting OL blows goats, maybe it is a better idea to sign FAs and anyone other that who we draft. 

Not so; Paul "Ketchup Wizard" Alexander's more recent record of drafting OL blows goats. That would include Jonah Williams. 

Since they locked him out of the room they've got Volson who is starting & Carman who is at least a spot starter if not the new RT.  Hill & Smith don't seem to have much going yet but even 50% starter(ish) quality from midround picks is pretty decent.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No they don't, if the Eagles had 3 starters go down in the playoffs they would struggle just like any other team. They had 1 former first round pick that left via FA...outside of that they have nothing. Now that he's gone, the cupboards are bare.

It's not a crazy concept it's just extremely unrealistic to expect any team to have quality depth at every position...because if they were quality they would be starting. 

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Again, you're making that stuff up yourself.  Said many times I liked the draft.  Never said all hope is lost or anything of the sort.

What I did say is that we've got a lot of hopes & prayers lining up at RT, which kinda sucks considering how much money is now tied up in the position.  $20 mil should get you a healthy average starter, at least. It's hard for me to believe that there were no takers at that price in FA, but OK. I'm still hopeful that a utility vet or some younger guy they can possibly develop into a starter down the road shows up via FA late in camp. Just capable of taking some snaps or maybe even starting a game or two without getting JB killed. A side-grade equivalent of who we have now that doesn't cost over $10 mil would be an improvement.

I'll also say it does get tiring having to answer for things I've never said & then being called an asshole or whatever for correcting it, like I'm in the wrong. Kinda bullshit, kinda gaslighting. Respectfully.

Who called you an asshole, you are one of my favorite members on this board..but you have been a Debbie Downer about this RT situation.

oh ffs, that "back-up lineman" was their former 1st round T who had failed at being a T and was reduced to a backup (Andre Dillard).  IF carman beats out Jonah and we keep Jonah and he leaves and signs a similar deal (which he will get) I will assume that you will be praising the Bengals for their failed first round T the same as you just praised the eagles for their failed first round T...

Yes, Dillard was drafted to be a starter but because they had quality depth, he was beat out by Jordan Mailata. Since they don't know when Jason Kelce will retire, they have Cam Jurgens in waiting. He's better than any of our interior backup guys. When Brandon Brooks got hurt, they had Seumalo ready to go. Stoutland is probably the best O-line coach in the NFL but they also invest resources on both lines. 

52 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Who called you an asshole, you are one of my favorite members on this board..but you have been a Debbie Downer about this RT situation.

Fair.  I am down on it, I wish we had someone in the mix that isn't such a longshot.  I don't expect Willie Anderson Jr, just one healthy guy that's shown some ability at the position.  I suspect they'll get a look in minicamp and plan accordingly.

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, Dillard was drafted to be a starter but because they had quality depth, he was beat out by Jordan Mailata. Since they don't know when Jason Kelce will retire, they have Cam Jurgens in waiting. He's better than any of our interior backup guys. When Brandon Brooks got hurt, they had Seumalo ready to go. Stoutland is probably the best O-line coach in the NFL but they also invest resources on both lines. 

Are you suggesting that the Bengals don't invest a shit ton of resources in both lines? In the 2 previous drafts before this one, 10 out of their 16 total draft picks were linemen, 7 of the 10 were taken within the first 4 rounds. In the last 2 years they have brought in 5 external free agent offensive linemen in the past 2 years, 3 of which won at least one Super Bowl ring as starters. 2 of their 4 DL starters were brought in as external free agents, another starter was acquired via a trade. Using all 3 methods (draft/free agency/trades to fortify the off/def lines. 

RESOURCES APLENTY. 

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not so; Paul "Ketchup Wizard" Alexander's more recent record of drafting OL blows goats. That would include Jonah Williams. 

Since they locked him out of the room they've got Volson who is starting & Carman who is at least a spot starter if not the new RT.  Hill & Smith don't seem to have much going yet but even 50% starter(ish) quality from midround picks is pretty decent.

One starter in 10 years.  Williams no longer counts and Volson isn’t locked in long term either.  Carman is a second round backup until proven otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Carman was also recommended by Alexander as well.

They need to open all the windows and spray him with some Lysol, maybe just throw away the couch but that loser stink has got to go..

Fuckin Mikey and his little bridge club of Intellectuals I swtfg... "Well he keep making awful football decisions but he plays the piano! Sure he calls shovel passes on every 3rd and long but he carries around a dog-eared copy of Atlas Shrugged! Big thinks!"

FOH with that ivory tower bullshit, honestly. No NFL coach should be walking around in fucking bifocals. With a strap!

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -John Rogers 

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They need to open all the windows and spray him with some Lysol, maybe just throw away the couch but that loser stink has got to go..

Fuckin Mikey and his little bridge club of Intellectuals I swtfg... "Well he keep making awful football decisions but he plays the piano! Sure he calls shovel passes on every 3rd and long but he carries around a dog-eared copy of Atlas Shrugged! Big thinks!"

FOH with that ivory tower bullshit, honestly. No NFL coach should be walking around in fucking bifocals. With a strap!

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -John Rogers 

What I can't determine is if this is just that the game has passed by Alexander or if finding good linemen is a league wide problem. Because Alexander has also been responsible for finding some of our best linemen too. He drafted Willie and Levi and Whit, and Stienbach....

Archived