OL Offseason 2023

13 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Posting this video is like trying to sell your old car and volunteering  the information that the odometer was turned back.  

Repeat after me: “Jonah Williams is [s]an elite[/s] a [s]great[/s] good left tackle that would be a nice addition to [s]any[/s] [s]some[/s] at least one team in the NFL”

Now let’s get this athlete moved to his new home.

[Sorry, tried to get strike-through to work…without success.  Too lazy to fix it.]

No team will be convinced that Jonah is currently an elite NFL tackle. But he's still better than a bunch of other guys who started most of their team's games last season. There are probably at least a dozen teams he'd be an upgrade for. He has a big contract so that's probably the main obstacle to moving him. We're at the end of free agency and most teams can't take on a 12.6 mil cap hit at this point. So the Bengals might have to pay some of his salary to move him. But if they do, they should be getting at least a 4th rounder for him. Without covering his salary, we should be glad to get a 5th for him. 

His resume is decent. Elite high school tackle. Started and made all-SEC team all 3 years in college. Was a unanimous all-American and national champion his junior year. Eleventh overall pick in NFL draft. 42 career starts including a Super Bowl and he won't turn 26 until November. 

19 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Depending what pic we get for Jonah, any thoughts about packaging that pic and move up in 1st or 2nd round?

If we can package Jonah and our 2nd to move to the very top of the 2nd, I'd jump on it.

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Depending what pic we get for Jonah, any thoughts about packaging that pic and move up in 1st or 2nd round?

I don't think we need to move up in round 1. Maybe in round 2 depending on who is falling. But I doubt we get a premium pick for Jonah. He has trade value but I'd think late 3rd to early 4th is the best we'd get and we might have to pay some of his salary to get that much. 

Starting to look at the OL in the draft. 

Wasn't very high on many guys. Liked Wright and Jones in round 1. Not really any other tackles

Like Gaines as a later interior line piece. 

Notes:
Team Captains on the IOL-Avila, Scruggs, Patterson, McFadden
Team Captains on the outside-Wagner

I think we're set for starters from LT to RG. RT is a jumble at the moment.  Assuming we trade Jonah, the main question at RT is Collins' health. My guess is he won't be ready for week 1 so currently we'd likely start Carman. Our backup linemen, Adeniji, Ford, Smith, Scharping, and Hill aren't very good. We could use some upgrades, especially at IOL. Brown and Hill can battle for a practice squad spot but we could use a better backup G than Scharping. He was ok vs Buffalo but bad vs KC. 

Some names for Day 3 would be Sidy Sow, Nick Saldiveri, Jon Gaines, Jaxson Kirkland, Olusegun Oluwatimi, and Chandler Zavala. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

the main question at RT is Collins' health. My guess is he won't be ready for week 1

My guess is he won't be ready for weeks 2-17 either. He may start but he'll be on the injury report all week and play half-assed. That was my impression last year and unless a draft pick takes his place he knows he's still the best option on the roster. Expect more of the same, dude seems happy goldbricking as long as we'll let him.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

My guess is he won't be ready for weeks 2-17 either. He may start but he'll be on the injury report all week and play half-assed. That was my impression last year and unless a draft pick takes his place he knows he's still the best option on the roster. Expect more of the same, dude seems happy goldbricking as long as we'll let him.

Maybe he can go on PUP for having the Bengals tattoo removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Jones will be there at 28. There's a lot of smoke he will be there at 60 due to teams being mad that he didn't test, weigh-in or do anything since day 1 of Senior Bowl practice. Dane Brugler and a few others think he may indeed last well into the second round. 

Archived