OL Offseason 2023

Laurel Pfahler
@LaurelPfahler
·
24m
La’el Collins said he feels like he could throw on a brace and play today if needed. Says he’s ahead of schedule in his rehab but also understands he still has something to prove with the other OTs in the mix. #Bengals

That is a really interesting set of tweets re: the quotes from Collins. I had figured he was gone for at least 1/2 the upcoming year but...hmmmm. Perhaps not? Would be really huge for the team if he's available and even healthier back-wise than last year sooner rather than later...

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

La'el says a lot, he should probably say less and do more. 

I get that we all love to be cynical around here, but he did start every game until his knee blew up last year and likely if we have him we are in the Super Bowl...

If he really is ahead of schedule with the ACL (which I was betting against) AND as a bonus he's been able to work on his back, none of that is a bad thing and for damn sure real depth on the line would be a good thing. 

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

I get that we all love to be cynical around here, but he did start every game until his knee blew up last year and likely if we have him we are in the Super Bowl...

If he really is ahead of schedule with the ACL (which I was betting against) AND as a bonus he's been able to work on his back, none of that is a bad thing and for damn sure real depth on the line would be a good thing. 

He was awful, all year...he came with the big-time talk about being a bodyguard, got a Bengals tattoo, and then presided to give up pressures and sacks while playing poorly.

The Bengals don't need loud talkers writing checks they can't cash, I would prefer the opposite actually. Most of the best guys on the line aren't big personalities that want attention and like to boast about what they are going to do...they just show up to work and get the job done. 

As for Collins being the missing piece for the Super Bowl...I dunno about that, there was a huge drop-off between him and the backup but that's a bit of a reach, IMO.  

Literally, the replacement RT got fucking blown up into Burrow and killed our drive to kick a winning FG. That happened.  I watched it. You can type "he was awful all year" but that is wrong. He got better and the line was really jelling before the injuries hit. His loss, along with Cappa and Jonah were ultimately too much.

Again, I know the board bathes in snark, but it is NOT a bad thing if Collins is able to get back and can be in the mix by , say, October, AND if, as he has alluded to in his quotes today, that his back is actually feeling better which makes sense as the rehab for the knee is in-house and Nick Cosgray will be working on his overall conditioning etc along with knee rehab.

But, sure, you do you. He sucks. THere's no chance at all that he will be able to help at any point. Etc. etc. etc. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Literally, the replacement RT got fucking blown up into Burrow and killed our drive to kick a winning FG. That happened.  I watched it. You can type "he was awful all year" but that is wrong. He got better and the line was really jelling before the injuries hit. His loss, along with Cappa and Jonah were ultimately too much.

Again, I know the board bathes in snark, but it is NOT a bad thing if Collins is able to get back and can be in the mix by , say, October, AND if, as he has alluded to in his quotes today, that his back is actually feeling better which makes sense as the rehab for the knee is in-house and Nick Cosgray will be working on his overall conditioning etc along with knee rehab.

But, sure, you do you. He sucks. THere's no chance at all that he will be able to help at any point. Etc. etc. etc. 

Collins is another lineman who is better suited to the downhill gap scheme they switched to with Burrow out of the shotgun. The outside zone OL scheme is for linemen with quick feet. Collins is a power lineman. He got better as the season went on, partially because he got a little healthier but also found a blocking scheme that better suited his skill set.

My point is that was happening while he was playing, so you can't act like he was an All-Pro before he got hurt, he was giving up sacks and pressures at a high clip so there's no guarantee that it wouldn't have happened during the Super Bowl, it's probably more likely that it would have happened. 

Also, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make it snark or whatever you want to call it. La'el Collins had a 57.9 PFF grade last season, so by some quantifiable measure, yes, he does suck. I will be the first to say that PFF grades aren't the final say in the matter but it does help you objectively decide if a player is playing well or not. I saw Collins playing with awful technique, giving up sacks, pressures, and hurries extremely often last year so to act like if he had not gotten hurt he would have been a brick wall in the playoffs is a bit of a stretch just to prove a point. 

13 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

My point is that was happening while he was playing, so you can't act like he was an All-Pro before he got hurt, he was giving up sacks and pressures at a high clip so there's no guarantee that it wouldn't have happened during the Super Bowl, it's probably more likely that it would have happened. 

Also, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make it snark or whatever you want to call it. La'el Collins had a 59.7 PFF grade last season, so by some quantifiable measure, yes, he does suck. I will be the first to say that PFF grades aren't the final say in the matter but it does help you objectively decide if a player is playing well or not. I saw Collins playing with awful technique, giving up sacks, pressures, and hurries extremely often last year so to act like if he had not gotten hurt he would have been a brick wall in the playoffs is a bit of a stretch just to prove a point. 

Colllins..

73 run block grade..

44 pass protection

Back problems the may not go away..

Your ignoring that he has back problems.

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

La'el says a lot, he should probably say less and do more. 

Totally agree, he and Eli can share a big glass of STFU.

Some depth on the OL would be nice but I've yet to see any of those RTs on the roster play the position worth a damn. A deep pile of shit it still a pile of shit after all.

That snarky enough for ya? 🥷

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Your ignoring that he has back problems.

Literally you haven’t read the shit I posted today. What if…the in-house rehab for his knee has allowed Nick cosgray to work on his back etc? But don’t take my fucking word for it, read Collins’s fucking words that his back feels better already.

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

Literally you haven’t read the shit I posted today. What if…the in-house rehab for his knee has allowed Nick cosgray to work on his back etc? But don’t take my fucking word for it, read Collins’s fucking words that his back feels better already.

Hey I hope so! I'll believe it when I see him go out and pancake somebody. He came in talking a whole lot of shit and hasn't backed it up so it's not hard to understand why fans aren't too hyped on him. 

1 minute ago, membengal said:

Collins has the integrity of a shady used car salesman...his word doesn't carry a lot of weight with me at least. He said the same thing last year and played badly. This might be a pattern with this guy, he talks a great game but doesn't really live up to the expectations he sets for himself. I think he's desperate because his job is on the line and the last film he put out was average at best which means if the Bengals cut him he's going to have a hard time finding a team to pay him anything close to what he's currently making. 

The last two starters that the Bengals cut are no longer in the NFL, Quentin Spainn and Trey Hopkins went from starters in the Super Bowl to unemployed in a few months..maybe Collins doesn't want to be next so he's saying everything that he knows people want to hear. 

38 minutes ago, membengal said:

Working on his back??

Lol ok...

Dude. wtf.

Yes, working on his back.

Burrow took advantage of his time in-house doing ACL rehab to work on other parts of his body, notably, wanted to get his core stronger. Nick Cosgray made it a part of the rehab. 

I wasn't sure if Collins would put in similar time, but, it sounds like he has been. Nick Cosgray is a pretty damn amazing rehab trainer.  Collins literally said already today that he feels miles better physically than he did at any point last year. Not surprised, because IF he's been diligently putting in work, then, yes, there is stuff that Cosgray can do to help him.

Believe it, don't believe it, I no longer care. Literally, read and hear his words or don't. But don't act like it is impossible for him to physically get better beyond his knee. Burrow talked AT LENGTH about what a difference the rehab process made for his body beyond the knee with the in-house guys. It is not entirely insane that if Collins is committed, Cosgray can make similar in-roads with him.  This is all relevant, perhaps, in that mayyyyybbbeee he might be ready to help in one way or another come October. And IF the bengals think that is the case, may bear on whether they reach for a RT or not Thursday or Friday.

In any event, I am done on this. Sorry for posting anything, as usual. 

Archived