OL Offseason 2023

41 minutes ago, membengal said:

Dude. wtf.

Yes, working on his back.

Burrow took advantage of his time in-house doing ACL rehab to work on other parts of his body, notably, wanted to get his core stronger. Nick Cosgray made it a part of the rehab. 

I wasn't sure if Collins would put in similar time, but, it sounds like he has been. Nick Cosgray is a pretty damn amazing rehab trainer.  Collins literally said already today that he feels miles better physically than he did at any point last year. Not surprised, because IF he's been diligently putting in work, then, yes, there is stuff that Cosgray can do to help him.

Believe it, don't believe it, I no longer care. Literally, read and hear his words or don't. But don't act like it is impossible for him to physically get better beyond his knee. Burrow talked AT LENGTH about what a difference the rehab process made for his body beyond the knee with the in-house guys. It is not entirely insane that if Collins is committed, Cosgray can make similar in-roads with him.  This is all relevant, perhaps, in that mayyyyybbbeee he might be ready to help in one or another come October. And IF the bengals think that is the case, may bear on whether they reach for a RT or not Thursday for Friday.

In any event, I am done on this. Sorry for posting anything, as usual. 

And the Oscar for the best dramatic post on a message board goes too.....

:ninja:

No one is attacking you personally, I enjoy your post and the friendly banter...don't take your ball and go home. 

38 minutes ago, dex said:

Not to be overshadowed by Colins on draft week, Jonah Williams decides to post video of himself lifting 500 pounds to show he is recovering well from his own surgery.

Nice try but Collins is an all pro interview-giver. It's going to be hard to find someone that can talk themselves up at that level outside a top 15 pick :ninja:

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Hopefully another team buys into it..

One reason why a team might overpay for Jonah...the 2023 OT draft class is terrible.

One reason why Cincinnati might hold on to Jonah anyway...the 2023 OT draft class is terrible.

2 hours ago, dex said:

One reason why a team might overpay for Jonah...the 2023 OT draft class is terrible.

One reason why Cincinnati might hold on to Jonah anyway...the 2023 OT draft class is terrible.

We wont know that until the season is midway thru.

Never know which ones will shine..

I only see one Olineman to plug and  play at a high level.

O'Cyrus Torrence..

But hes a guard and we've got that covered.

Just now, claptonrocks said:

We wont know that until the season is midway thru.

Never know which ones will shine..

To put that another way, hopefully we know before the trade deadline.

I'd hope we try out a draft pick that might suck before resorting to a guy we know sucks.

2 hours ago, dex said:

Jonah is terrible and costing 12.6 mil to keep him..

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I only see one Olineman to plug and  play at a high level.

O'Cyrus Torrence..

But hes a guard and we've got that covered.

I am starting to think he is going to be the best player available to them at 28 and thus the best long-term pick. Our backups weren’t very good there last year so he can battle Volson for the starting LG spot and the loser replaces Scharping as the primary backup at both guard spots. 

As far as right tackle, someone has to be able to win that spot out of Williams, Collins, Carmen, Ford, Adeniji and Smith. Hell, that list alone shows there’s a huge need at all spots on the o-line. I think Torrence could beat out some of those guys at right tackle plus Volson played RT in college too. I think we all agree - please for the love of god someone win that spot and not suck ass at it. 

That's why I want to take a RT at pick 28 if Wright or one of the Joneses is available. It solves a position for several years, saves the team big money, improves Burrow's protection, and helps the running game to boot. That adds a lot more value than drafting Chido's heir or another backup pass rusher. 

I think it's a lot to expect a rookie to step in on the OL.  The difference between college, even the SEC, and the NFL is so large.  The difference in training is also large.  Volson did well for a rookie.  For a rookie.  He will be expected to take a big step forward in year 2.  I would also like to see a tackle taken somewhere in the early rounds, but given a year to learn and develop.  Chances are he'll have to step in at some point and get reps, but I would not want to pencil a rookie in as a starter prior to the draft.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I think it's a lot to expect a rookie to step in on the OL.  The difference between college, even the SEC, and the NFL is so large.  The difference in training is also large.  Volson did well for a rookie.  For a rookie.  He will be expected to take a big step forward in year 2.  I would also like to see a tackle taken somewhere in the early rounds, but given a year to learn and develop.  Chances are he'll have to step in at some point and get reps, but I would not want to pencil a rookie in as a starter prior to the draft.

Other teams have used their 1st or 2nd rounder Olinmen as starters..

I dont have a problem with it..

Depends on the player of course..

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Other teams have used their 1st or 2nd rounder Olinmen as starters..

I dont have a problem with it..

Depends on the player of course..

We have Burrow for many years ahead so we need to keep investing draft picks in OL.  Have to remember there are 5 starters plus back ups so you have to keep developing guys. Joe needs to be upright should be our motto.

14 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We have Burrow for many years ahead so we need to keep investing draft picks in OL.  Have to remember there are 5 starters plus back ups so you have to keep developing guys. Joe needs to be upright should be our motto.

Im in total agreement I.C.

No matter how much we may

think we need to upgrade anywhere it all comes down to protecting the franchise player 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Philly and KC draft an Olineman in 1st.

Protect their QBs to make a run ..

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Have to expect one of the 5 starters will miss at least a game or two, pretty rare for the whole OL to be perfectly healthy the entire season. That lack of depth has ended the last 2 playoff runs. It's not a luxury.

I dont like alot of lineman in this draft but here is where I landed

C G T
Juice Scruggs-Penn St (5) C Jon Gaines-UCLA (5) Darnell Wright-Tennessee (1)
Jarrett Patterson-ND (5) 2C    
    Dawand Jones-OSU (2)

Jake Witt-N Michigan (7) V

Trevor Reid-Louisville (U)
    Dalton Wagner-Arkansas (U) C

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I dont like alot of lineman in this draft but here is where I landed

C G T
Juice Scruggs-Penn St (5) C Jon Gaines-UCLA (5) Darnell Wright-Tennessee (1)
Jarrett Patterson-ND (5) 2C    
    Dawand Jones-OSU (2)

Jake Witt-N Michigan (7) V

Trevor Reid-Louisville (U)
    Dalton Wagner-Arkansas (U) C

Why don't you like the linemen in the draft?

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

I see there as being two needs. Longterm RT and Interior depth piece. 

At RT I don't trust our staff to develop a RT so I would only want a plug and play guy. I only see 2 guys who would be that potentially. 

At C/G I want someone who can compete at LG and backup G and C. That's hard to find in the draft. They also would have to be better than Brown and Hill. 

Otherwise I think you are wasting picks. 

Better than Hill or Brown isn't hard to find. I agree with your analysis of our needs but would add to your list guys like Sidy Sow, Nick Saldiveri, Oluwatimi Olusegun, Ricky Stromberg, and others. We won't get around to picking a backup IOL guy until guys like Torrence, Avila, Zavala are off the board but if one falls, it would be potentially a good pick. 

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Better than Hill or Brown isn't hard to find. I agree with your analysis of our needs but would add to your list guys like Sidy Sow, Nick Saldiveri, Oluwatimi Olusegun, Ricky Stromberg, and others. We won't get around to picking a backup IOL guy until guys like Torrence, Avila, Zavala are off the board but if one falls, it would be potentially a good pick. 

Ive been impressed with C Ricky Stromberg but wouldnt draft him till rd 5 ..

59 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'm not sure the guys you listed or the guys I listed are any better than Brown or Hill. Hill played great last year in the preseason and Brown didn't play at all. 

5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

You should listen to that amazing Brian Callahan podcast interview from last week. Talking about this year's draft, he gave his assessments of all the position classes on the offense side. He basically spat all over the OT class. Did say that interior offensive line depth was a "need" though. I doubt they address the OL until Day Three.

Basically said he's hoping to get Burrow more weapons for their passing game. Wants to add a TE if possible, wants a WR4 at some point, then said he's hoping to find a back to fill the Perine role. Says they need to add to add 2 or 3 more RBs to the room. I expect they will draft at least one RB then fill out the rest of the room with promising UDFAs.

35 minutes ago, dex said:

You should listen to that amazing Brian Callahan podcast interview from last week. Talking about this year's draft, he gave his assessments of all the position classes on the offense side. He basically spat all over the OT class. Did say that interior offensive line depth was a "need" though. I doubt they address the OL until Day Three.

Basically said he's hoping to get Burrow more weapons for their passing game. Wants to add a TE if possible, wants a WR4 at some point, then said he's hoping to find a back to fill the Perine role. Says they need to add to add 2 or 3 more RBs to the room. I expect they will draft at least one RB then fill out the rest of the room with promising UDFAs.

I think Mayer is the pick if he's available, it makes too much sense for us to draft him. He's a Cincy guy, fits a huge need, and is very marketable. 

Archived