OL Offseason 2023

On further thought :smoke:

I'm not sure we altogether need to draft or sign a FA starter at RT  We've got 3 dudes who have shown the potential to play the position.  What we need is someone just good enough to push those 3, basically someone likely to snatch that last OT spot.  That should be enough to make either Carman step it up, Jonah suck it up, or Collins shut the hell up. I think it's reasonable to expect one of those things to happen.

Collins doesn't get paid otherwise, Jonah probably same because no one is hot to trade for a $13M backup LT, and Carman is very likely on the bubble or facing career backup status at best. 

Any middling rookie or even a journeyman FA. A tick or two above Ford's level could accomplish this, we don't even necessarily need to draft one.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

So you want a day 3 project like Jake Witt or Nick Saldiveri? 

I'd rather trade up from 60 if Dawand falls to the mid 40s or later. Or we could have just traded down from 28 with one of the teams desperately trying to trade into the late first. 

Mostly I want someone to put the guys we have now on notice. If that's a draft pick that projects to an eventual starter that would of course be even better but at minimum we need to make the current slackers and malcontents nervous. 

I agree that we have too many "just a guy" types at tackle. But a day 3 pick would just be an addition to the crowd and probably not make them nervous. That's why I want Dawand. We already know that Garrett and Watt can overpower Jonah and run around Collins. Nobody is overpowering Jones and I doubt they can run around him before Joe gets it out. So I think from day 1 he's an upgrade at RT even with lots of work to do on his technique and body. 

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I agree that we have too many "just a guy" types at tackle. But a day 3 pick would just be an addition to the crowd and probably not make them nervous. That's why I want Dawand. We already know that Garrett and Watt can overpower Jonah and run around Collins. Nobody is overpowering Jones and I doubt they can run around him before Joe gets it out. So I think from day 1 he's an upgrade at RT even with lots of work to do on his technique and body. 

I seriously doubt Jones makes it to us but that'd be great 

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not so sure, the guy put up good tape and was a consensus first round pick until what, he stepped on a scale? Am I missing something?

He was never a consensus first round pick. Everybody got excited about one good day at the Sr Bowl and ran with it. 
Also, he’s never stepped on a scale during this process and his stock has taken a bit of a hit because of it. 

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He was never a consensus first round pick. Everybody got excited about one good day at the Sr Bowl and ran with it. 
Also, he’s never stepped on a scale during this process and his stock has taken a bit of a hit because of it. 

Did he bloat up in the last 4 months? Otherwise it's the same guy that's on tape.  If not, put his ass on a treadmill.

17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Really hard to believe Rapien had no idea what he was talking about. 

Yep, and he does that every year from what I've seen... goes on podcasts and so on and acts like everyone else is an idiot, laughing/grinning/shaking his head at their points... and of course HE is always wrong.

A name a lot of us have probably forgotten about but one that remains intriguing to me - he was a UDFA last year that basically red-shirted due to injury but a lot of the gurus had mid-round grades on him. Will be curious to see if we hear any murmurings from coaches about Ben Brown this summer...

Don't want to derail the draft thread any further but re: La'ell here -

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/lael-collins-17403/

Not only is his contract heavily performance-based, there is (or was?) an option.  Going to IR probably changes things & I kind of doubt they'd eat an almost $10m cap hit.  Still, as a backup he's much more affordable, cheaper than Jonah.

I think best case is Jonah looks OK but Carman looks better, then trade Jonah when Collins gets back.

38 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's cool but are they going to try him at RT?

Yeah I think that’s the plan. I doubt if Collins will be ready so it seems to be a competition between Williams and Carman. 

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

If Carman wins the competition will Mike Brown let Jonah sit the bench and pay him $12 million?

I hope so, I'd like to think we're past that sunk cost sort of dumb shit now.  They can sit him, or they can play him and potentially get JB's knee shredded, or they can trade him.  Those are the choices, there's not an option where they get a refund.

However I'm also not fully convinced there's going to be a competition.

I think Jonah would have to completely fall apart to be released.  He will ride the bench if he doesn’t start and back up both tackles.  He’s better than D’ante Smith or Adeniji and Collins looks likely for the PUP list.  I don’t think Ford will be a major factor unless he is a backup at guard instead of Scharping.  Hill is the backup center.  Overall, I still think they’re better than last year with the addition of Brown at LT.  I’m not sure how it plays out on the other side but I expect it will be better than last year.  

Archived