Keeping our enemies close: 2023

• membengal changed the title to Keeping our enemies close: 2023
1 minute ago, Shebengal said:

Meanwhile, in Cleveland, this drama may be starting:

https://www.10tv.com/article/sports/cleveland-browns-could-restructure-deshaun-watsons-230-million-contract/530-e5e48288-4742-4423-b4b9-0afb0742d415

Yeah-good luck with that. Browns are currently 14 million over the salary cap. 

:24:

They give him that fully guaranteed contract and pay him garbage in that 1st year to help him with the not getting hurt by suspension, then want to restructure?

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regarding Watson’s contract, I heard a restructuring was always the plan from the beginning.  His base salary was kept to the league minimum in Year 1 and the plan would be to restructure every year by converting part of base salary to a signing bonus.  Of course, this pushes salary cap charges into future dummy years added to the contract and eventually the Browns will be left with a huge cap charge they won’t be able to avoid.  Apparently, this is similar to how the Saints and Brees handled his contract during his final years and they ended up with cap charges after he retired.

Just for gits and shiggles...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rumor-browns-looking-upgrade-tight-015852921.html

The Cleveland Browns need to find more depth at tight end after the room did very little outside David Njoku in 2022. The NFL Scouting Combine is full of rumors and Dawgs By Nature’s Jared Mueller dropped some exciting bits about tight ends. The Browns are set to target the Cincinnati Bengals’ tight end potentially Hayden Hurts or the Las Vegas Raiders’ Foster Moreau to bolster the room.

Hurst had a great season with the Bengals and it would be a massive upgrade. The team wants to use fewer tight ends but with Njoku’s injury, someone good enough to start might be crucial. Hurst having only two drops this season with his ability to block and skill in the redzone would be a great addition.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Just for gits and shiggles...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rumor-browns-looking-upgrade-tight-015852921.html

The Cleveland Browns need to find more depth at tight end after the room did very little outside David Njoku in 2022. The NFL Scouting Combine is full of rumors and Dawgs By Nature’s Jared Mueller dropped some exciting bits about tight ends. The Browns are set to target the Cincinnati Bengals’ tight end potentially Hayden Hurts or the Las Vegas Raiders’ Foster Moreau to bolster the room.

Hurst had a great season with the Bengals and it would be a massive upgrade. The team wants to use fewer tight ends but with Njoku’s injury, someone good enough to start might be crucial. Hurst having only two drops this season with his ability to block and skill in the redzone would be a great addition.

First of all, I would hate to see Hurst leave, let alone got to an AFCN rival, let alone the Browns.

But, it would be fun to watch hubby and the son's reaction to this if they let Njoku go. Both of them really like him, for some reason. ;)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

First of all, I would hate to see Hurst leave, let alone got to an AFCN rival, let alone the Browns.

But, it would be fun to watch hubby and the son's reaction to this if they let Njoku go. Both of them really like him, for some reason. ;)

I don't think they want to let No Joke You go but a second tight end,

But it does show that other teams have an interest in Hurst besides just us so that ups his price.

Unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

indeed.

Helpful to have that as Bateman deleted his original tweet which is now missing above - the exchange was captured in that article (this is why I said he Bateman was responding to Decosta by the way...)

Decosta - “I would say a lot of people would say the same thing; it’s a challenging position to evaluate in different ways. If I had an answer, that means I would probably have some better receivers, I guess. We keep trying.”

The response from one of DeCosta’s wideouts — 2021 first-round pick Rashod Bateman — was predictably frigid. The less predictable aspect was that Bateman responded publicly on social media, while also including a defense of Jackson.  In a tweet that was deleted minutes later, Bateman responded directly to DeCosta’s remarks:

Bateman - “[H]ow bout you play to your player’s strength and & stop pointing the finger at us and #8,” Bateman wrote, referring to Jackson. “[B]lame the one you let do this…. we take heat 24/7. & keep us healthy … care about US & see what happen..ain’t no promises tho … tired of y’all lyin and capn on players for no reason.”

I don’t even find these trade “scoops” fun for just mockery purposes any longer. 

Some guy gets on a blog…makes “my sources say…what I’m hearing” commentary…and then on to the next “scoop”. 

If they were as creative as their brethren in the world soccer “news” fronts, they might still entertain. Those are so laughably stupid, they make you howl. These flaccid things being put out—and incredibly portrayed as factual—are like fingers on a chalkboard. 

• Like 1