Keeping our enemies close: 2023

20 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

What the fuck is the point of giving a QB a 10 year deal if you have to rework it every 3 years when he's no longer the highest paid.

Chiefs should tell him tough shit, that's the whole give and take of taking the half billion dollar offer up front. 

My Debbie Downer thought is he (and others) are one injury from killing an entire season or more.

Also... putting that much money into one guy is going to come back and bite them in the financial butt sooner rather than later.

Now that Lamarr is done, the other guys - Herbert and then Burrow are up.  Both are going to be higher than Jackson's contract and then each of them higher than the previous.  That would mean the Chiefs would need to go above both of those teams when they redo Patty's contract if they wait.  So I think that they just want to try and get in front of those two QBs who will be his main sources of competition for the next several years.  If they can slot him in as the 3rd highest (of course announced as the 1st highest when it's done) contract, they'd be ecstatic.  Honestly, the Chargers and Bengals should get their contracts done ASAP and get the Chiefs to pay more for Patty.

• Upvote 2

I still don't understand all the tricks/games regarding the salary cap and "getting by with stuff"...so...I'm wondering if this isn't just some way to play the cap game so it actually benefits the Chiefs team as a whole and not necessarily just for Kermit's personal salary/ego?

4 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

I still don't understand all the tricks/games regarding the salary cap and "getting by with stuff"...so...I'm wondering if this isn't just some way to play the cap game so it actually benefits the Chiefs team as a whole and not necessarily just for Kermit's personal salary/ego?

I think they want to achieve both...

1.) Stroke his ego.

2.) Get his contract redone before Herbert and Burrow.  That way they are paying less overall for their QB.

At some point in time though, they are going to have to deal with the salary bomb that is Patty's contract.  That's the year that they will tank it all to get one of the top two or three picks and try it all over again.

I'm not complaining that the Chiefs are reworking his deal, it means that he will continue to make their cap top heavy instead of it being a reasonable deal as the cap gets larger.

All offseason all I have heard from Chiefs fans is the Bengals will not be as good when we have to pay Joe. Well now they have the same problem.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

What the fuck is the point of giving a QB a 10 year deal if you have to rework it every 3 years when he's no longer the highest paid.

Chiefs should tell him tough shit, that's the whole give and take of taking the half billion dollar offer up front. 

No no, the Chiefs should guarantee his contract.  After all, Cleveland gave Watson a guaranteed contract.  Are the Chiefs saying they think Watson is a better QB than Kermit?

Unfair! :cry-min:  

1/2 a :ninja: because fuck KC for real

Mahomes gave the Chiefs a big discount when he signed his current deal. It was during the pandemic and didn't pay much in the early years so he's been playing for peanuts, relatively speaking. Bengals should try to get Burrow to accept a similar structure on a 10 year deal. He may not want to go that long but something like 10 years, 530 mil, 275 guaranteed, with a 120 mil signing bonus would set new benchmarks but actually be affordable over 10 years. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Mahomes gave the Chiefs a big discount when he signed his current deal. It was during the pandemic and didn't pay much in the early years so he's been playing for peanuts, relatively speaking. Bengals should try to get Burrow to accept a similar structure on a 10 year deal. He may not want to go that long but something like 10 years, 530 mil, 275 guaranteed, with a 120 mil signing bonus would set new benchmarks but actually be affordable over 10 years. 

Good idea..

Im thinking JB signs for. 6yrs..

Hed be 32 and looking for another

6 yrs deal here or somewhere else..

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I agree this would be the best option if Burrow was agreeable.  I think at least something in the 8-10 year range would be ideal.  I would also include annual option bonuses like Mahomes to give maximum flexibility for cap purposes.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cricket said:

How long before a team signs the Philadelphia USFL kicker?  Kicked EIGHT FGs yesterday, including a 56-yarder and a game-winning 55-yarder.

Sound like a future Cowboy. Their special teams coach was very unenthusiastic about Vizacaino, their current kicker.  Somebody will probably sign the punt god too. 

10 hours ago, Griever said:

Not really an "enemy", wasn't sure where else to put this. The caveat to this is he said he's not "retired" from the NFL per se.

Ryan and the Clots are just doing some pre-camp maneuvering to free up the spot for Jeff Saturday's QB debut in August.