Bengals Signings/Re-signings FA period 2023

56 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I think Ford will battle Volson for LG spot..

Best man wins!!

Pollack has already said that Ford will be working as a RT. He has played both guard and tackle in the NFL, but the Bengals apparently view him as a tackle. Scharping is the first backup guard they've signed aside from Nate Gilliam. 

4 minutes ago, dex said:

Pollack has already said that Ford will be working as a RT. He has played both guard and tackle in the BFL, but the Bengals apparently view him as a tackle. Scharping is the first backup guard they've signed aside from Nate Gilliam. 

Gotcha..

Just thought at his size he'd make a formidable G 6'4 335 34" length. with the team. Especially next to his old teammate Zeus..

Really hoping Ford can help out alot

this year..

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

They are listing Ford as a RT

Maybe an Adiniji replacemet?

Kind of one slug for another? Having said that, we have nto get through training camp and there are always injuries and the drfat is an unknown in terms of picks at the position at this time. So, bring in some cheap vets and see how it all plays out. 

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Kind of one slug for another? Having said that, we have nto get through training camp and there are always injuries and the drfat is an unknown in terms of picks at the position at this time. So, bring in some cheap vets and see how it all plays out. 

Honestly hoping they get either Wright or Jones to play that spot in the draft, and keep Collins since his contract is cheap while he gets healthy so we have a guy who can come in when he's healthy with little to no drop off

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Possible ..

Addeniji wasnt good on the right side of the line.

Ford is thicker and stronger on the right. .

Ford and apparently our coaches seem to think he has been playing out of position, so maybe the new position changes his production, that said lets hope he's not the starter. 

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

Volson got the second biggest performance bonus of any rookie in 2022. I am still not sure why people try and replace him with stiffs like Cody Ford. Pollack and the other coaches have been clear -they are sold on Volson. 

Im ok with Volson.

Competition keeps a player sharper..😎

If we do use pick 28 on a RT, it would clarify things considerably. That guy would be the instant starter at RT. We should have Jonah traded by then and will be free to trade/cut Collins after June 1 for a conditional 2024 draft pick if someone bites. I'd think the backup depth chart would go Carman, then Ford, then Adeniji, then Smith. With the latter 2 long shots to make the roster and one of them probably heading to the practice squad. 

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we do use pick 28 on a RT, it would clarify things considerably. That guy would be the instant starter at RT. We should have Jonah traded by then and will be free to trade/cut Collins after June 1 for a conditional 2024 draft pick if someone bites. I'd think the backup depth chart would go Carman, then Ford, then Adeniji, then Smith. With the latter 2 long shots to make the roster and one of them probably heading to the practice squad. 

I would certainly like a RT at pick 28 but I would be careful to assign him as a starter. In the mix for sure but it has to be the best guy. And maybe as the year goes on he takes more and more snaps. At the end of the first, we should assume the odds are just as good he is a backup then a starter. 

8 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would certainly like a RT at pick 28 but I would be careful to assign him as a starter. In the mix for sure but it has to be the best guy. And maybe as the year goes on he takes more and more snaps. At the end of the first, we should assume the odds are just as good he is a backup then a starter. 

Same. Of course you'd hope a 1st round pick is ready to start but you can't count on it. Rookies are prone to TC injuries, OL more so, & sometimes it takes guys a year to get in NFL shape. They could draft our next RT in the 5th round just as easily as they could whiff in the first.

Draft picks are just prospects & they've been prone to taking risks on injured players or workout warriors with not a lot of football experience in the past. Hopefully we're done with that stuff.

And no RB in the first 2 rounds please unless the offense is changing to accommodate a feature back. We don't need a superstar to get 12 carries a game on first downs.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If we draft a tackle at 28, who would he be backing up?

Collins? I have doubts Lael will be ready to play week 1 and he won't be ready for training camp. That's why we should trade him for anything we can get or release him before week 1 and free up the cap space for extensions. 

Carman? If we think Carman will be better than Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright, then we should be grooming him to start. I'm open to the idea of him as Collins' successor and drafting at other positions but don't want to project too much from his last 2 games.

Ford, Adeniji, or Smith? To ask the question is to answer it. 

21 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we draft a tackle at 28, who would he be backing up?

Collins? I have doubts Lael will be ready to play week 1 and he won't be ready for training camp. That's why we should trade him for anything we can get or release him before week 1 and free up the cap space for extensions. 

Carman? If we think Carman will be better than Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright, then we should be grooming him to start. I'm open to the idea of him as Collins' successor and drafting at other positions but don't want to project too much from his last 2 games.

Ford, Adeniji, or Smith? To ask the question is to answer it. 

If the said drafted RT beats out any other, he starts. I just would not assume that happens in year one. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I think Carman is the backup LT and Ford and Collins are at RT. Adeniji is fighting for a roster spot because he plays poorly whenever he gets an extended opportunity. He's got the measurables to be successful but playing seems to be an issue. 

17 hours ago, membengal said:

Volson got the second biggest performance bonus of any rookie in 2022. I am still not sure why people try and replace him with stiffs like Cody Ford. Pollack and the other coaches have been clear -they are sold on Volson. 

The only guy I know trying to replace Volson....ducks head looking for site owner to stroll in....hasn't been around here in a while. 

Archived